THR Steve’s Recovery Thread

Did your surgeon do xrays at your follow up visit? You mentioned that he said it was "fine". I may have missed this in reading your thread, but was curious since you'd mentioned it felt worse than before the surgery.

I had stopped all pain meds but acetaminophen by 3 weeks and was doing a lot of walking and daily activities (no PT whatsoever). When I had my 6 week follow up I mentioned that I seemed to be seeing an increase in pain the last few days and wondered if I should resume the Tramadol. His comment was that since I had been fine without it for several weeks, most likely the cause of my increase in pain was that my activity level was increasing as well. He advised against returning to the Tramadol and suggested simply modifying my activity level, icing, and resting more. Like @Eman85 mentioned, you want to be sure you are not taking pain medication to off-set exercising that you would be better off not even doing yet. This did the trick for me, and if your hip is fine, your unresolved pain most likely is an issue related to what exercises/activities you are currently doing.

I was advised here on the forum as well that taking acetaminophen regularly and in the right dose would be more helpful in addressing pain, and that too was great advice. In those first months, staying on top of the pain made a big difference. And even then, for most of us, there is still a certain level of pain that accompanies recovery, as we gradually get back to our normal activities in life.

But I don't think feeling like you need the stronger opiods again falls under that type of pain. So if you cut back on exercising, you ice, and take the acetaminophen, and still are in great pain, maybe you'd want to think about a return visit to your doctor. I hope things start looking up for you!

Debru4, thanks for your reply. No I didn’t have X-rays taken at my follow up appointment. My surgeon was not at all concerned about my pain levels and seemed more concerned about scheduling my surgery on my other hip, although he did say that I shouldn’t go ahead if I had any concerns. I have to say that, since my original post and after the advice that I have received here, I have cut back on my PT excercises and my pain levels seem to be improving. Not sure what I’m going to tell my Physio at our appointment next week?

I have cut back on my PT excercises and my pain levels seem to be improving. Not sure what I’m going to tell my Physio at our appointment next week?
Start with this.
You have the right to decide what is helful and what is not.
One of our members said they found redirecting their PT to gait training suggestions and things they felt more comfortable doing was the way they managed.
No one wants to appear noncompliant, but you know your body best.

Last edited:
It is difficult when you are in pain after the op that’s meant to erase the pain... but all our limbs are so closely associated that if one is still out of kilter (your unoperated hip) it will affect your new hip....

My first THR I had pain for some months, which gradually subsided but my 2nd one in March this year was much easier ... why ???

I found Icing a godsend... in fact I had ice on the hip and warm hot water bottle on my back... this gave me so much relief.

Do hope the pain subsides soon xxx

I second Forum Users advice. I'd most likely call and say something like "I've decided I'm stepping back for a time and will call to schedule additional appts if / when I feel ready to return." If they give you any flack....I'd simply tell them "I've made up my mind and insist on doing it my way....Thanks for all you've done to help me."

Your body / your decision.
@Somsteve

Debru4, thanks for your reply. No I didn’t have X-rays taken at my follow up appointment. My surgeon was not at all concerned about my pain levels and seemed more concerned about scheduling my surgery on my other hip, although he did say that I shouldn’t go ahead if I had any concerns.

Good morning @Somsteve Or rather afternoon in your neck of the woods.
I agree with Jaycey in thinking that your other hip is possibly creating stress for your new hip. I was so surprised when after several years of having a THR, (which was the "forgotten hip) that it began giving me pain again when my other hip began deteriorating.
I quickly decided it was time for the other hip to go! How dare that hip interfere with my newish baby?

I hope the upcoming week is very kind to you and you see some improvement from adding ice and elevation to your routine.

Happy Two Month Anniversary!
You're probably sleeping, but it's still the 14th actoss the pond as I type.
Hope you had a good day and wishing you a great Tuesday!
@Somsteve

Well, it must be time for an update! Still getting quite a lot of pain and stiffness from operated (R) hip but am going ahead with TLHR next Tuesday 19/11/19. Some say it’s too soon (TRHR was 14/8/19) but I figure that it’s best to get it done and then I can get on with full recovery. At the moment I have one painful hip that’s getting better and one that’s getting worse. After the next op I should have two hips getting better! Any thoughts and advice much appreciated.

I'm 63. I had my left side done last December and the right side done last March annnnnnd my right knee in September.

The before and after pain I compare to the dentist. That horrifying toothache leading up to it and after its done, a more soothing type pain. A tooth takes days, a hip takes months. I'm at 11 months out of one and 8 on the other and feeling damn good.

I still do PT had home just because. Also and some may not like this comment but if you are not in halfway decent physical shape before surgery, it will take you a long time to recover

Hello,
That decision is between you and your surgeon and if he feels you're up for it and you're ready and willing, I'd ignore the naysayers. I believe your reasoning is sound. You want your life back. I'm happy that you're on your way to making it a reality. We'll be here to cheer you on for as long as you're willing to share the journey. Wishing you comfort as you await the 19th!
@Somsteve

Yay SomSteve,

I had one replaced 20 years ago and one in May 19.

I feel great, and completely mobile and active (well, except recent foot surgery ).

You will be able to stand straight, walk straight and be pain free - quickly!

Ice and elevate ... walk in between ... or, walk, and ice and elevate in between!

Congrats - you will fine and do great!

Hi Somsteve,
Well, be here for you, supporting you for as long as you care to share the journey. Stay in touch and enjoy the rest of the week!
@Somsteve

:wave:@Somsteve
Glad you are getting on with this hip show and will be a grateful member of the double hippy club.
Life without hip pain sure is sweet.
We are all rooting for you.

Hi Somsteve,
Is the newly operated improving though? Don’t be surprised if it feels like it’s bothering you when you get the other one done...that’s what happened to me for a few weeks. Now my left is great and back to normal. My right side has been a lot more angry than the left and even now with 2 months on, the incision bothers me.
Good luck for the surgery and we will chat to you when you’re recovering x.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom