Hip Arthroscopy Steroid injection after Hip Arthoscopy

Drew_holm

Country
American Samoa American Samoa
Hi all, I had FAI surgery 22 months ago. The initial issues I had were gone after the surgery. But I had new pain around the circumference of my hip joint. I imagine this is fairly common after the hip ball is removed from the joint for 90 minutes in my case and then put back in. This soreness has slowly subsided at a fairly constant rate but is still the pain that keeps me from doing things like jogging. The good news is that it just keeps feeling better an better every month. My question is could I/should I get a steroid injection now that will possibly lesson this pain, keep up with my exercises and do not go crazy with the hip, then in 3 months after the injection wears off I will be closer to my final, hopefully pain free, condition? Basically, has anyone on the list ever gotten a steroid injection just to lesson the normal post op pain? Thanks in advance!

@Drew_holm Welcome to BoneSmart! Do you have pain medication that you could take to take the edge off this pain?

If your hip is slowly getting better I would not get an injection. There is every chance that it won't work anyway. Some people see results but others don't. Unfortunately no one can predict the success.

If you ease off all that exercise does this pain ease?

What was the date of your surgery and which hip? I'll pop the information in your signature for you.

Hi, But my surgery was 22 months ago. Prior to the surgery I did have one steroid hip injection which brought immense relief for the typical 2 to 3 months. But I had a torn labrum and it of course can't fix those lol. So I'm just wondering with another star road injection if I could go pain free for 3 months and once the sterile injection wears off I will be that much further along in my recovery. I do know there are risks of infection and maybe it's not worth doing. Thanks for your thoughts In advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
We'd still like to have your original surgery date for the FAI procedure as well as any other procedures you had done on the hip so we have good historical information. Much like your doctors gather this type of information, it is important to have it in order to properly provide advice for you.

There are a couple of other pertinent factors that it would be helpful for you to address:

1. How long was your labrum tear a problem before you had your surgery?
2. Was any arthritis detected in the joint prior to or during the surgery?
3. What level of activity have you had since the surgery, both in the first few months after surgery and what you're currently doing?
4. Was your surgery done arthroscopically or via open incision?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back