• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Stems - what’s the deal?

KenUSA36

Country
United States United States
Just wondering if anyone has extensive knowledge on stems. When and why do they use them?

It seems first TKR they don’t use long stems unless they find bone problems. A revision tends to go towards stems. Does weight matter for using

This scares me since I’ll need more than one in my lifetime. It seems every surgery takes more and more bone until you aren’t going to take a knee replacement anymore.

I worry if I am around 40, get a new knee, and something happens that it fails and I need a revision, then I’m in trouble being on knee #2 before 50.
As always thanks for any information!

Pumpkln

Country
United States United States
KenUSA36,
Todays knees are lasting longer and longer, there are knees placed in the early 90's that are still going strong.
With my revision I have stems in the upper and lower components.
They use stems for revisions to increase the surface area to attach and stabilize the components.

There are components that can replace the entire femur, hip to knee, and everything else in between.
Generally these larger components are used after bone cancer.

It seems every surgery takes more and more bone until you aren’t going to take a knee replacement anymore.
Barring unforeseen circumstances, you can have multiple revisions.

The best thing you can do is find the most skilled surgeon you are comfortable with to do your TKR.

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
I worry if I am around 40, get a new knee, and something happens that it fails and I need a revision, then I’m in trouble being on knee #2 before 50.
Of course it's normal to worry, but try not to worry about things that may not happen. The vast majority of first-time knee replacements are successful.
Your first knee replacement could be a great success and last for 30 years, or possibly even longer.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Campie2
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom