MUA Steelergal's Recovery Thread

That was so quick that he decided to do this, I'm very happy for you! I'm glad that is done. Best of luck!!

I'm glad it felt quick and easy. Here's hoping your knee got the TLC and attention it needed and your recovery can progress again! Don't skimp on the ice.

Many of the experiences and procedures described on bs, such as your MUA, are new to many of us. Thanks very much for sharing.

I woke up this morning feeling very discouraged. This is a lot more pain than i remember from my hip surgeries. And for some reason my surgeon prescribed less pain meds (only 30 pills), so i feel like i have to ration them. Taking just one at a time is not cutting it. I’m also worried about elevating it correctly. Every position hurts and I’m not sure what to do. The knee/thigh/upper calf area is pretty swollen and completely bruised. My knee was in really bad shape prior to surgery and he had to fix ligaments while replacing the knee to there’s a lot of muscle tightness in addition to the trauma of the surgery. I’m trying to stay upbeat and positive because i know this all will pass, but while I'm in the middle of it, i find it hard to be anything but emotional and frustrated. I’ve read the articles, but any other advice would be great! Thank heavens for this forum!

@SteelergaI , I just read your post and new to bonesmart..I am sorry how difficult you were having it, hopefully you are doing much better
now since it’s been three months. Discouragement is difficult, and it is okay and good to have a “pity party” for yourself every now and then. I’m not saying you are, only saying go ahead and cry scream punch a pillow if need be- it goes make you feel better! I still occasionally have one- a cry- when I feel bad or lament on the things I want to do but can no longer do. Then I get over it and sort of chide myself for internal complaining. We humans are a funny bunch, eh? Look forward to hearing how you are getting along.

Hi everyone! Thanks for the support this week. I just got back from PT and she measured me at 94 flexion!!! I'm SO thrilled and I'm already finding it easier to have a more normal gait. Pt was mostly light massage and stretching, heel slides, and leg lifts. We're holding off on any strength training for now. I haven't needed pain med other than Tylenol today, which is nice. I'm still sore (like a major workout type of sore), but it's not that bad. The other great news is I almost got a full rotation on the bike! WOO HOO! :dancy:

Hoping your mobility improves!!

And here's hoping you make good progress going forward!

Official full rotation on the bike today, backwards and forwards! I took it VERY slowly, but it felt so good! Now that I can do that, I'm excited to see how it helps me continue to feel better. :yahoo:

We're still staying away from strength training for the next two weeks and focusing on massage and gentle stretching (heel slides, bike, hamstring stretches, etc). My extension is slightly better and I'm hoping now that I can bend the knee more that the extension will come. No one seems to be too worried about that at all. I'm very pleased with the results of the MUA, which have been immediate. And I only have a small bit of discomfort, but not really pain. The worst part of the whole procedure is the ugly bruise I have on my arm from the IV. I finally feel like I'm moving forward with my recovery and seeing results. It's such a relief!

So happy to hear your progress...Congratulations!

Full rotation:yay: It's a milestone!

Reporting in at my 4 month mark! I saw my OS today, 2 weeks post-MUA. He's very pleased with the results (as am I) and said I should continue to see progress, but it will likely be slow. He said I was "over the hump" and could see improvement for as long as the next year. I was measured at 100 degrees flexion at PT yesterday, so I'm very happy to be there at least. I'm walking much better and hopefully will be rid of my cane in the next couple of weeks. My doc told me I can keep the next 4 weeks of PT appointments (1 per week) if I choose, but he's fine if I stop and just keep with my normal activities. I started Pilates again last week and it's SO GREAT. He told me to make another appointment with him in 8 weeks, but if I decide I'm feeling good, I don't need to keep it. Other than that, I'll go back next summer for my 1 year x-rays.

I have to say, I'm thrilled with my experience with my doctor. This recovery has been difficult and while do feel like I've been a big disappointment for everyone with my ROM numbers and my lack of progress, I'm grateful for their support to help me get through it. From the allergy to the glue and tape, to the slight fever at 5 days post op, to the discussions about the MUA, to the millions of questions and concerns I've had, my doctor and his PAs have been patient and understanding each time. I've never felt like I'm bothering anyone and I've always been listened to. If anyone in the Northern Virginia area needs a referral, I'm happy to share!

All that being said, I still have a LONG way to go. My extension is still lousy (though no one seems to be worried about that at all) and I still have work to do to improve flexion. I'm still icing most evenings after work and still have some stiffness and slight swelling if I do too much. But it's such a relief to finally be moving in a positive direction! Thanks for all the support here too! It would have been much worse if I didn't have people who know what I'm going through! :loveshwr:

We are always looking to add great surgeons to our Surgeon Locator, so you can post his name here if you want to. Or you can PM me or Jamie if you prefer.

It sounds like you are doing really well! Don't worry about your extension. For most of us, it was slow coming in. Think of how large those tendons and muscles are behind that knee. They have to be stretched slowly. I helped mine by lengthening my stride, walking heel to toe.

OrthoVirginia
We have the same group down here in the Hopewell area. I'll have to check and see if he comes this far south.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Axx72
    Staff member since December 27, 2023
  • Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562