MUA Steelergal's Recovery Thread

If you go for the MUA I hope it’s helpful. :console2:They do help if there is a true adhesion.

I don’t know if you’ve seen this post from Bert, but hopefully it will encourage you:

One of our members, Bertschb, kept a record of his ROM process. He agreed for us to post it for those of you that are afraid you're stuck. The key is to have patience!

Bertschb says:

“I'm 12 months out from my surgery and have some advice based on my experience:
1- Stop going to PT (all it will do is make your knee swell and reduce ROM)
2- Don't worry about your ROM
3- Be patient - VERY patient!!!

Here is my ROM history (more or less):

1 month - 60 degrees
2 months - 80 degrees
3 months - 85 degrees
4 months - 90 degrees
5 months - 90 degrees
6 months - 110 degrees
7 months - 120 degrees
8 months - 125 degrees
9 months - 130 degrees
10 months - 135 degrees
11 months - 140 degrees
12 months - 140 degrees

I spent waaaaay too much time worrying about ROM. I thought I'd be riding my bike a couple months after surgery but it took SIX months! Looking back on my surgery, if I knew then what I know now, I wouldn't have wasted my time with PT and I wouldn't have worried about ROM.”

I worried my whole first year about my ROM and I agree with Bert, “if I knew then what I know now...”

I’m 2.5 years post op and my ROM still seems to be improving. After the one year mark I continued to heal, my whole leg finally began to relax which helped my ROM. And since the 2 year mark, it’s even better.

At 12 weeks I was miserable and not very functional.

I do understand your impatience, I felt that way too, because I had a partial, and everything I learned about partials said they were a quicker recovery and a more natural feel than a total. From what I read and what my surgeon’s office did and did not say, I expected to be completely recovered in 2-3 months.

What a shock my recovery was! It most definitely was not the piece of cake I had expected it to be. As each month went by I would think “I’m x months and I’m still like this!”

I went through a period of time where I was very angry that I hadn’t been told what I was really in for.

I was 61 when I had my surgery. I live in a 55+ community and am one of the youngest. There have been a bunch of knee replacements before me. No pressure!!! Ha, I felt a lot of pressure as they watched me struggle along. I felt like a failure.

But now at 2.5 years later, my ROM is fine, I’ve been on Bonesmart all this time and I’ve read countless member’s threads and seen so many different scenarios, and their good outcomes.

I truly know it’s hard to be patient. But where you are now is not where you will end up. :console2:

I don't have anything useful to add, but I wanted to drop in some sympathy for your frustration. Its all well and good to be patient, but no progress at all makes us crazy.
I offer you the distracting dancing kitten.

:catdance:

Thanks @Jockette and yes, I've seen Bert's ROM list before. As you mentioned, it's just really hard to read about and see people who are moving right along in their recovery. I'm 46, I should be cruising through this! I was at PT yesterday and there was a guy about my age on the table who is 3 weeks from surgery. His ROM is already almost to 100. I know, I know, I know. Every knee is different and I shouldn't compare. But I'm so tired of having a hard time walking because I can get the right amount of bend in my knee. I'm tired of being so uncomfortable all the time. Everyone seems to be disappointed in my knee. People keep asking "why are you still using a cane?" and "when will you be better?" I'm just kind of over it. Hopefully I can get out of this funk soon!!!

@luvcats A dancing kitten is EXACTLY what I needed today! :yay:

SteelerGal, I am feeling your pain. I am struggling with ROM as well and under the gun for MUA. I do NOT want to go thru it. All I can say is that however slow, improvement continues as you slowly heal. I had a simple meniscus repair surgery that took 15 months to heal. It just takes time. Hang in there.

I had a simple meniscus repair surgery that took 15 months to heal. It just takes time.
Before agreeing to surgery I tried a gel shot. It was very painful going in and it took me 2 days to walk normal because my knee felt so bad. That should have been a warning to me as to what my recovery would be like. Though I thought I was well informed, I was so clueless going into this surgery.

I had a simple meniscus repair surgery that took 15 months to heal. It just takes time.
Before agreeing to surgery I tried a gel shot. It was very painful going in and it took me 2 days to walk normal because my knee felt so bad. That should have been a warning to me as to what my recovery would be like. Though I thought I was well informed, I was so clueless going into this surgery.
You know, in listening to the surgeon, staff.... it all seems really simple. I can't say I was misled, but the downside was never really given.

Hey @Steelergal! We gotta hang in there together now! I am pretty much at the same point you are. My ROM is still around 100 and I have a ton of swelling around the knee (and I think under the knee cap).

I go to see my OS tomorrow morning for my 12 week follow-up and will see what he has to say. Thought I would be way further ahead than I am.

I have to say though, I have been taking it very easy and I stopped going to PT. Just doing the bike every day (mostly to work ROM). I have a bunch of trouble walking, but not limping anymore. Very happy I have the handicap placard!

I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow with my OS. Hang in there!!!

IMHO some of the worst things you can do are

1. let the PT force your knee to the point of pain, not discomfort but real sharp pain.

2. go back to a regular gym workout. Just stay out of gyms, Even the well intentioned get sucked into ‘no pain no gain’, overworking the joint.

3. comparing yourself to others. My non surgical knee has a ROM of 125. I doubt if I will ever get past that on my surgical knee. That’s the way my body is built.

4, believe the ads that tell us about people who play tennis at 4 weeks, ski jump at 6 weeks and run marathons at 2 months. What nonsense!

I do my own gentle workout at home with nobody to push or challenge me to put excess stress on the knee. I do gentle stretches, use resistance bands, and ride my stationary bike. No macho nonsense, no body shredding, no pressure to hurt myself. Low pain and slow gain is my method.

My life is returning to normal but I know I am six months to a year away from full recovery.

Last edited:
I updated my knee thread about sinovitis, new to me, but based on a quick BS search, evidently quite common in knees (and hips), both before and after knee/hip surgeries, injuries, and in general, regardless of full or partial replacements.

Might be useful in your future.

Look forward to your update.

Hi everyone, I've been off for a while, but I'm back! I needed a break and life has been hectic. I met with my OS today and he highly recommends MUA. So we're trying to get it scheduled for next week. He thinks it will help. He said he only does a few of these a year and doesn't recommend them if he doesn't think they'll work. So that makes me feel better. He also suggested cutting PT to once a week and focus on my daily activities after the MUA. He said he wants me to do my exercises daily (which he says are plenty since I'm working full time), but not to push it too much. So, even if the MUA only helps a little, I'll take it. It's hard to walk normally or sit comfortably when the knee doesn't bend enough. It's really wearing me down.

He's pleased with the knee otherwise. He said the kneecap is tracking beautifully and the scar looks good. He said he felt a bit of swelling around the kneecap (which is why it's been hurting me lately) and wants me to continue to ice and elevate when I can. He wants me to start walking more (try to add a mile a day if I can, and then continue from there). So I guess it's time to start parking in the regular lot and not in the handicapped spots at work. :)

I'll keep you posted about the MUA. Accepting all good thoughts that it'll help!

@Steelergal
I am so glad you finally have a direction and a surgeon who wants the best for you. Good thought and vibes coming toward Northern Virginia.
Keep us posted.

@Steelergal I empathize with your frustration in this knee journey. If you have a surgeon that you have trusted so far and you feel he wants the best for you, go with your feelings! I am sending good thoughts and prayers that this will help your knee and that it will be an excellent outcome.

I hope this is the solution you need. After all the trouble we've been through, a little more to get a great result seems reasonable.

Good thoughts are definitely on their way. Actually, they're probably there now. It's early so there's no traffic! :heehee:

Thanks Poctdb, Macknit, and luvcats! I also hope this is a solution and gets things moving. I'm certainly not expecting miracles, but some improvement would be fantastic. I'm super nervous, but it's mostly just the unknown. I'll report next week!

Last edited by a moderator:
Best wishes on the MUA. It sounds like your OS isn't rushing into it and it may do the trick for you. Fingers crossed.

Hey @Steelergal - I'm praying for you and thinking good thoughts! I know you will kick this MUA in the butt!!! Can't wait to hear how it goes!!!:dancy:

Well the MUA is done! Everything was quick and i was home by noon. So far there’s some muscle soreness but nothing awful. I’m icing and elevating and my OS suggested gentle heel slides later tonight. He shot some cortisone in there too. He felt it was successful and said he got a good bend once he broke up the adhesions. I have PT tomorrow so we’ll see what happens! Here’s hoping for some success as I continue to power through this recovery.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads