MUA Steelergal's Recovery Thread

So I've been trying to figure out why I'm feeling more tingling and stinging pain + stiffness around my kneecap (this is a new thing) and I realized that it's because I'm getting feeling back in the part of my knee that has been numb! It's still not totally back, but it's definitely different than before. This is exciting, but of course it comes with discomfort. The area is very tender and I have additional discomfort when I try to bend my knee, but hopefully it'll pass soon. I'm glad to at least have some progress somewhere! :yes:

Last edited:
The numbness going away unfortunately does lead to different pains. Just know that it's all part of the healing process.

I'm so glad you got to experience the Parthenon at it's very best. It's all so amazing. I can't wait to be ready to travel again. There are so many places I want to see!

Sorry about posting the link. I was trying to find out if anyone else had heard of that process for help with ROM and avoiding MUA.
It would be nice to know if it’s helpful but guess we can’t discuss that here.

@LooLoo - we can discuss 10X therapy on your own thread, but discussing it here would disrupt Steelergal's thread.

BoneSmart doesn't allow links that take people off-site.

Thank you @Celle Sorry! Thank you for letting me know! I didn’t mean to disrupt. :(

Well, after a really successful vacation with a lot of walking and stairs, Ms. Knee is being difficult again. I'm not sure if it's a delayed result of the exertion from my trip, or if it's all from getting some feeling back in the numb spots, but I feel like I've had a big setback. I'm very sore and stiff and really just don't want to move or get out of bed. My ROM is still lousy (no change in weeks) and while I'm not really swollen (at least on the outside), I have that feeling of concrete in my knee again. I know this recovery is a roller coaster, but after doing so well and feeling confident that I was moving in a good direction, this has given me quite a blow. UGH!!!

I hated that rollercoaster ride of recovery. I'd be so excited about an improvement and then boom, it was gone the next day. I think a lot of times things we do in our sleep affect how we feel the next day. I hope with rest, ice and lots of tlc that your knee will calm down.

Sounds like you had a wonderful trip and was able to enjoy your time even during healing! Now sit back and relax with your knee up!!

I am working my way back from Thassos Greece! Should be home tomorrow night and surgery Monday morning!

Enjoy your rest!

You know, the sore and stiff all over could just be a welcome home from prime allergy season here in NOVA. Beloved has been having trouble with that and his knees are fine! lol Allergies isn't only about sneezing and wheezing. Sometimes it's just a full body slam.

I am sorry Miss Knee is not staying with the program. Silly thing.

Thanks everyone. I hate these types of setbacks because i don’t know if it’s normal or something more serious. I’ve been taking it easy all weekend and there’s no change. How do i know if something is messed up in there? I keep looking at my knee and wondering things like, “did my kneecap look like that last week?” Or is my scar crooked, did something move inside?” I’m definitely cancelling PT in Monday but wonder if i should try to get an appointment with my OS or a PA this week? How do i know when i should worry? This pain/stiffness feels like early on in recovery, it’s hard to lift my leg up out of bed and the knee cap area is the culprit. Could i have knocked something loose? Or am i just overreacting and just have normal “done too much” soreness?

At two months out your knee is still in the early stages of healing in the year long average recovery. Doing a lot of walking and stairs is bound to irritate your knee and it will take some time to settle it back down. Lots of icing, (don't forget the cloth between your skin and the icing medium) elevating and some rest should work with time. Remember, this recovery is a roller coaster by itself; couple that with a vacation of overdoing the activities and your knee will rebel. Give it some more time; if it doesn't resolve then a message to your OS to ask his opinion wouldn't hurt. My inclination is to say you did join the ODIC big time and your knee is letting you know; however it never hurts to contact your doctor if you're worried.

Hi @Steelergal! You know me - I wonder all those same things that you mentioned in your post. I have pondered going to see my OS a couple days ago, but am waiting it out until I see him on Oct 16th (that is unless it gets ways worse). If you stay worried, it might make you feel better if you so go see your OS or PA just for sanity. Either way, hoping you feel better soon! Rest and Ice!!!

Thanks @lovetocookandsew and @FitGal. It helps to have encouragement. I think I will send a note to my OS tomorrow and see if he thinks I need to come in. I don't have another appointment until the 24th and I'm not sure I want to wait that long. I wore my compression sleeve a bit today and that felt good, but when it's off, the pain and stiffness aren't getting any better.

Maybe I did overdo things on my trip, but it's annoying that it took a full week of being home for the knee to show these symptoms. It felt so good when I was working it out on vacation! I've cancelled PT for tomorrow and hopefully can leave work a bit early. I hope Ms. Knee decides to get her act together soon! I just need a little bit of progress without a huge step back!

I talked to the PA today and she said, "Kneecap pain is very common after increased activity, especially hills and stairs, as well as after sitting for long periods (like on a plane) so this is most likely related to your recent trip. I would continue icing, NSAIDs, gentle ROM and relative rest. If the pain does not improve over the next several days, we would be happy to have you come in to see us."

So I guess I have an answer! I'm wearing my compression sleeve to work today and it's keeping me out of pain so far. Fingers crossed things get better soon!

Last edited:
It's nice that you got such a complete response from your OS.
I hope today will be a better day.

Just a quick check in at week 12. Nothing new to report. Still lousy ROM. Still pain and stiffness around my kneecap (I don't know if it's getting any better or if I'm just getting used to it). Still need the cane for long walks. Still annoyed and frustrated. Still trying to be patient.

I see my OS on 10/24 and we make the decision about MUA. I'm still terrified of having it done, but at this point I want something to change. I can't handle the thought of no progress for another 3 months.

but at this point I want somethingg to change. I can't handle the thought of no progress for another 3 months.
I talked to the PA today and she said, "Kneecap pain is very common after increased activity, especially hills and stairs, as well as after sitting for long periods (like on a plane) so this is most likely related to your recent trip
What is your ROM now?
You cannot rush this recovery. We all want something to change right now but this recovery doesn’t work that way.

You recently had a lot of activity. You’re not bouncing back from it quickly. That doesn’t mean your ROM will stay where it is.

I had a major set back at 4 months post op that took a whole month to begin to improve. Then at that point, my son got married out of town, another 3 days of wedding activity that shot my ROM down again. It took another month to improve again. That’s just the nature of this recovery.

You did great on your trip. You will again. An MUA is not going to magically speed up your recovery.

What is your ROM now?
You cannot rush this recovery. We all want something to change right now but this recovery doesn’t work that way.

My ROM has been hovering around 80 for the last 6-8 weeks. I usually start PT around 78 and then it's between 80-83 by the time she's done with me. Extension is stubbornly staying between 6-8. I know I can't expect everything to be better at once, but there's been no change. My trip didn't change my ROM for better or worse. No matter what it's been the same. My trip caused the new knee cap pain and stiffness, but the ROM problem is caused by my quad/patellar tendon being tight + adhesions. I'm not expecting anything to magically fix my knee and I realize the MUA may make any difference. But I have to try something. I'd just like to see a few degrees of improvement. I'd be less impatient if the ROM got better and then got worse due to overactivity.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
007Knee
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom