MUA Steelergal's Recovery Thread

Thank you again, so much, @Jamie. I have a lot of pondering to do for sure. I'm still pretty terrified of the procedure (I'm imagining the worst, like my muscles snapping or something breaking). My knee just feels like if I bend it too far something will snap. I'm not afraid of it hurting afterwards, it'll be worth it if it means I can bend and get some relief. We'll see where I am in another month. I'm going to try to forget about it and enjoy this vacation. I get to celebrate with one of my best friends as she gets married in Venice and then I get to enjoy a Mediterranean cruise for a week! I'll face this decision when I get back to the real world. :)

Sounds like a plan. Have fun!

You may find with a lot more opportunities for moving than you find in your usual life that your knee will let go on it's own. We can hope.
Have an amazing trip!

@Jamie. Thank you for clarifying and better explaining the MUA issue. This forum has given the impression it’s to be avoided at all costs and I, at 13 weeks, so reluctantly thought it worth trying at 60 or so degree bend. I have never looked back. It was nothing like starting the recovery again, which was mooted here. Maybe a few days of tenderness, but at least I felt the joint could move. Before this, it was the hard stop you so well describe. I followed the way with rest / ice / elevate and was accused by some of not pushing through the bend in the early days, but from the very start I never felt any hope of a bend, as I also felt like my leg was filled with concrete. MUA in these cases has to be the solution.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks @Didot that is very helpful!

Well we made it to Venice. Compression socks really helped my ankles from swelling but Ms. Knee isn’t super happy. I iced quite a bit on the plane but elevation didn’t happen. I just iced more at the hotel and elevated for a while but we’re starving so off we go. My compression sleeve is saving the day! I’m looking forward to bed tonight for sure!

Last edited:
@Didot ... thank you so much for the great feedback. You are right that a "reset" of your recovery clock doesn't occur in every case and I'm glad it was not true for you. It can happen, though, so we like to warn people that they sometimes don't just pick up where they left off with recovery.

@Steelergal ... I'm not surprised that your knee isn't happy about that long trip. Rest and ice as much as you can.

Just a quick check in! Ms. Knee is doing really well. Swelling slightly and still stiff but there’s no pain. It’s really amazing how the knee joint itself no longer hurts! Now all the muscles around my knee and in my leg are super sore but that’s to be expected. My only issue is that my ankle and foot are still retaining water and swelling, which is annoying. But I’m drinking tons of water and elevating whenever i can!

You're doing amazingly well.
This early in recovery, I think the ankle and foot swelling is going to happen, no matter what you do.

My feet swelled so much that both of them peeled. I looked awful!

Hey @Steelergal - how are you? I just made it back on Friday from my trip. It was nowhere near as long as yours.... hope all is well!

Hi @FitGal! We just landed in Newark. The 9 hour flight felt long and my knee/ankle are swollen but not too bad! I still have 2 days of meetings in New York and i take Amtrak home Tuesday afternoon. I’m ready for my own bed and my ice machine!

My trip was AMAZING. It was hard and tiring, but beautiful and bucket list worthy. I can’t tell you how many people mentioned someone they knew who’d had a knee replacement. Or had one themselves. So many people offered help or said “you had the surgery 2 months ago? You’re doing so great!” The encouragement was motivating, especially when i was trekking up to the Parthenon in Athens! I took my time and was very proud of myself! While all the muscles in my leg are sore my knee itself doesn’t hurt!

The only thing that sucks is that this didn’t help my ROM. I don’t have PT for another week so we’ll see where am. Once I’m home on Tuesday my plan is to rest and ice. Ms. Knee has been through a lot but she hung in there!

Wow! I am SO amazed and SO happy for you! Ms. Knee sure is a trooper and apparently led all of your leg muscles to get to working! I am very inspired by you!

Glad you had safe travels and that you enjoyed the trip! Have fun in NYC.... I have taken the Acela/Amtrak many times from DC to NYC and back, so enjoy that too! You will be very happy to get home to that ice machine - I definitely was!

Welcome back! I'm so glad your knee was a champion and fully on board for your Bucket-list-worth adventure.

I'm impressed you climbed to the Parthenon. I did that once. It is a bear of a climb! But so worth it! Did you happen to get a clear day? We got super lucky the day we were there (20 years ago!) and we could see everything for miles.

How amazing your knee is doing. I imagine your bend hasn't gotten better because it's swollen from all the walking you did. Even if you can't see swelling outside you still have it inside. There's not much room inside that small capsule and even a little fluid will restrict your ROM.

What a great trip....welcome home.

Is it really sad that I was most excited to come home to my ice machine? And then in second place, my own bed. :)

Ms. Knee did such a great job on my trip, but is NOT having it today. I've had a ton of stiffness and some new stinging pain at my kneecap. It's ice, elevate, and early to bed tonight!

There's no place like home. Personally I always adore coming home to my own shower.

Hello all. I’m following this because I have also been told I should have an MUA. I’m trying not to. I have done a little research and found 10X Therapy. Has anyone heard of this??

Last edited by a moderator:
@luvcats Yes we had amazing weather while in Greece and the view from the Parthenon was incredible. The climb was very slow and steady (even slower on the way back down), but totally worth it! We were lucky to get there very early, so the crowds were manageable. That was worrying me more than anything. I don't think I could've done it pre-surgery.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back