THR Starting my recovery journey

Love your posts...they make me laugh.
I hope you feel squeaky clean and smell like the first breath of Spring! :flwrysmile:
@JojoOso

At the pre-op prep class for my first thr was advised to cover the incision/bandage area with plastic food wrap (e.g. Saran) and use clear packing tape to seal the edges. This also involved contortions when doing it alone but it kept it absolutely dry during a full, careful shower. No tips for shaving legs.

I guess everyone's OS closes the wound differently and has different bandages and requirements for showering. I had no stitches or staples and just clear tape over the incision. I showered the first full day I was home and every day after and couldn't get that tape to fall off.

@Eman85 My incision is really neat and tight and looks really good so I don't know why he was so adamant about the showering. Anyway I'll continue the sponge baths with the odd "sort of" shower thrown in for another week. Then I'm going to enjoy that shower as if it were my last ever.

Hi my fellow hipsters! I've a question for you. I have been doing well and trying hard to curb my enthusiasm and not overdo things. Yesterday I walked twice, for about 20 minutes each time and was feeling great. Today I took it quite easy and just did my PT (at home). Now, literally 10 minutes ago my wound started feeling like someone was inside trying to rip it apart. Has anyone experienced this? It suddenly stings and I can hardly walk. I'm right now lying down, icing the area. Is this normal? I haven't done anything new except sit on the couch as opposed to my armchair. Could that be it?

I also experienced some of the same sensations.
Today I took it quite easy and just did my PT
Not sure what exercises particularly, but it may be that one or more if these may be Too Much Too Soon.
Sometimes I edited the amount of reps dictated to allow an easier transition for my healing to keep up with the movements.

Now, literally 10 minutes ago my wound started feeling like someone was inside trying to rip it apart. Has anyone experienced this? It suddenly stings and I can hardly walk.

Here’s some info I found awhile back and definitely matched some of the sensations I experienced in my early recovery. Thankfully all temporary.

Small sensory nerve fibers are cut with the incision. These nerve fibers run from the inside to the outside of the hip and cutting them causes the hip to feel numb after surgery. It is a temporary sensation that normally resolves over a period of six months to one year post op.

While healing you may experience sensations of tingling, pins and needles, itching, burning and even the feeling of a minor electrical shock. These are usually good signs that the nerves are spontaneously firing through the regeneration process.

Unless a pain is escalating in frequency or intensity, continue resting and icing as you are.
Happy Thursday...hope it’s a good one!
@JojoOso

"Small sensory nerve fibers are cut with the incision. These nerve fibers run from the inside to the outside of the hip and cutting them causes the hip to feel numb after surgery. It is a temporary sensation that normally resolves over a period of six months to one year post op.

While healing you may experience sensations of tingling, pins and needles, itching, burning and even the feeling of a minor electrical shock. These are usually good signs that the nerves are spontaneously firing through the regeneration process."

This is exactly what I'm experiencing. My husband guessed that it was the nerves waking up!!!
Thanks again for making me realise I'm not the only one. I love this forum.

I took my first trip to the shop today and all went well. It was nice to partake in some retail therapy even if it was just to buy swimming trunks for my husband. It's the little things.

It's the little things.

YES! So true. You gain a new appreciation for so many little things.
I hope you have a good week, Jojo, and enjoy many more little things. :)
@JojoOso

It’s the best! It had to be one of my favorite showers in my life. Although at four days post op, mine was pretty quick, nonetheless satisfying.Two more days and you’re a month post op...to date. I remember one month post op as a big turning point when I thought, I think this thing is really going to work! Hope you’re feeling the same. :)
@JojoOso

Happy One Month Anniversary! A flower for you on this special day. :flwrysmile:
Have a great rest of the week!
@JojoOso

Thanks so much. I'm feeling good but occasionally frustrated because, as you all know, our minds recover way more quickly than our bodies! My knees have been really hurting and I swear it's my bodys way of getting me to slow down and take it easy. That brings yet another song to mind - you know the one.

Hi all. I haven't posted in a while. I've been working (I work from home) so I've been busy. It's been great getting back into the swing of things. I'm feeling good. I'm still using my cane but I'm not going to worry about it right now. It's really more for me knee problems rather than the hip. I've no pain at all in the hip, sometimes it's a bit stiff if I've been walking too far for too long. I'm doing almost all the house work (except what I choose to let the kids do as their chores). I'm walking between 2km and 3km twice a day or sometimes just once if I'm being lazy. I'm so ready to get this wonky knee fixed. Roll on November eh? I'm going back to the surgeon next week for a follow up. I've to bring a fresh x-ray of the shiny new hip. I'm excited to see what's happening in there. The scar is looking good. The weather is great, I'm feeling very positive about the future. Happy days kids.

Hey @JojoOso
Sorry for the delayed response, some posts sneak away more quickly if the forum is really active, but we sure do appreciate your updates, so thank you…it’s good to hear from you!

How did your follow up appointment go? I’ll bet your surgeon was pleased with your progress. I’m sorry your knee is spoiling all the fun. Wondering if you have a November surgery date we can add to your signature? If so, you can leave the info below and we’ll edit your signature to reflect your knee surgery date.

Happy Two Month Anniversary! Wishing you a great week! :)

The follow up went well and the doctor is very pleased with my progress. No date yet for the knee surgery - he's being very Conservative and wants to wait the full 6 months before even discussing it. He said he wants me to be 100% recovered from this operation and ready for the next one.

I have a question - I've been experiencing pretty bad sciatic pain for about a week now. Have any of you gone through that? It's really upsetting because I feel like it's slowing my progress.

Hi @JojoOso
Glad to hear the follow-up appointment went well.
Two months out is still early in the healing process and prime time to overdo if we aren't careful.
A fairly common complaint following THR is Piriformis Syndrome.
It can certainly cause sciatic pain
Check out our article in our library here.

Thank you for sharing your story---I've learned a lot from you and everyone else
who have commented. I hope your new, sciatic pain goes away SOON!

gazed into my eyes and said "You're young, you're tiny, you're skinny and you're beautiful - why are you here?" . I'm 50, grey haired and limping along as fast as I can go but I'll take a compliment like that any day of the week. Ooh yeah. I'm fancy.

Your sense of humor is just great!

My daughter told me that it's very stressful for her to realise that I do, in fact, need constant help. While I recognise this, I do feel it's a bit more stressful to have one's leg cut open, bone sawed off and implant hammered in but hey, that's just me

Hee hee......that is SO true.

I really feel like a burden to them

Ugh, I can relate to that !!!

You should let them see an animated version of your surgery so they Get It.

@JojoOso -----Curious if you did this w/ your daughters?
I've been wondering if anyone here has watched a THR before or after
surgery, and/or if any of your loved ones watched it, too. I've
watched a few on youtube--- fascinating but (obviously) a bit
scary, too.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Forum statistics