THR Starting a new journey first of 2 hip replacements

Pookie1002

Country
United States United States
I am so scared and also grateful for this forum. I am 57 yrs young and are in line for both hips to be replaced. Due to my other conditions doing both at once isn't possible. So, I'm scheduled to replace the worst one (left) on October 19th. I've been asked quite often why I waited so long. Honestly the main reason is fear the secondary reason was the pain medication worked.
Now I can barely put any weight at all on my left hip and pain meds barely work. I'm no longer working, I took vacation time this week and going on short term disability for the rest. I have only my husband no children or family to depend on. Until surgery I'm home alone with my little dog. I fear daily falling.
Is anyone else in a similar position? If so, I would love to hear what your doing to help yourself.
Also I'm very concerned about after surgery.
Thanks for having me here. I really need some advice.

Hi @Pookie1002: You came to the right place. This website has kept me sane through multiple surgeries and set backs. I can't recommend enough to read the articles that are available here before and again after surgery. They really do help you through every aspect of what you will be going through. Things will get better. Just be patient with yourself and listen to your body. There is no rush with your post op recovery. This is a slow marathon not a sprint. Keep us posted on your journey. You have a great support group here.

HI @Pookie1002 - and :welome:

I've moved one of you posts from the October Feisties thread. That thread is really just so you can see who else is having surgery around the same time as you are. It's not the right thread for chatting. We prefer members to talk to each other on their own threads, so the surgery listing thread doesn't get too confusing.

It's normal to feel scared before surgery - I think almost everyone is - but rest assured everyone will take good care of you and we'll be here to offer moral support as well.

I'm a bit concerned you're afraid of having a fall. Are you using a walker or some other form of support? If you aren't, please do so. It's much better to take that precaution than to risk falling.

Here are some articles to help you prepare for surgery:

Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing hip recoveries

Hi, @Pookie1002. You came to the right place. Everything you are feeling right now sounds so familiar! I had my left hip replaced exactly a week ago today. the first few days were a bit surreal but every day I feel myself becoming stronger and less afraid of making the wrong move. I spent the weeks before my surgery reading everything I could about what was going to happen, coming up with a million questions for the doctor and getting psychologically prepped. That’s where this site was so very helpful. There is so much good information here.

Since you will need one after surgery anyway, you might want to think about picking up a walker now. I got mine from our community loan closet. Also picked up a shower seat there. If you are afraid of falling, you can get comfortable with the walker now and be all ready when the time comes. Plus, your dog can get to “know” it and learn that it’s there to protect you, not to scare him or her. My cat was terrified of the walker at first. I think she thought it was some kind of monster vacuum cleaner. Now she just gives it a lot of space!

if you have questions, chances are someone here has answers!

:wave: and :welome:
57 years young, and about to get younger once you get those hips fixed up.:friends:

Lots of great advice and reassurance on this forum.
One of the best recovery tools I had ... being able to get the scoop from those who have been there and done that.
Haven't regretted this surgery and am feeling younger than I did ten years ago!:) :-) (:

Last edited:
Hi and welcome. There is lots of information here that will be helpful to you in recovery. My husband was the only one around for all my 4 replacements and for my knees he was still working so I was alone all day about 10+hrs after the first 3 days. Many people recover totally on their own so it is quite doable.

Welcome @Pookie1002 !
I'm sorry you're in fear, but it's a common reaction to the thought of major surgery. I had to get cleared by my cardiologist for each hip, and I felt more confidence after she'd signed off on it.
Getting a walker asap will help with fear of falling. I borrowed my mother in law's spare, but I know some churches keep medical supplies like that for "permanent loan", or if you're up for shopping, thrift shops sometimes have equipment.
i had a non-joint surgery in June, and was required to get a covid test precisely 4 days before, and strongly urged to stay at home after that, and for a month after surgery. I was willing to do that for my own sake. It did get old pretty quickly though!

And as others have said, read everything you can on here. The library is crammed with informative articles. Doing that was what helped me learn my way around the forum (I started with about 20 Bonesmart tabs open on my computer, because I was afraid of losing my way home lol) And it's always fun to make new friends of your October Feisties so you can keep up with each other post op!

Good morning. I read through all the replies yesterday and I can definitely see I'm in the right place. I sleep a couple of hours at a time other than that I just lay there. The pain is unbearable, walking is impossible and my surgery is so far away it seems. Everyday is a struggle right now. I'm sorry if I sound like a crybaby but this is how it is right now.

Hi and welcome. There is lots of information here that will be helpful to you in recovery. My husband was the only one around for all my 4 replacements and for my knees he was still working so I was alone all day about 10+hrs after the first 3 days. Many people recover totally on their own so it is quite doable.
Thank you being alone is the hardest

There is no such thing as a "cry baby." You have a right to feel bad and scared because of your pain and lack of mobility and because you're coming up on surgery.

My view is that when we dismiss our own pain, the pain doesn't go away ... it goes underground ... Yes, sometimes we want to distract ourselves ... but we distract ourselves by first acknowledging that we're in pain and feel bad. So go for it: say how you feel.

Of course you're scared. Surgery is scary ... but you're in the right place. You can talk to your surgeon or your surgeon's nurse or PA about your concerns being alone during recovery. Lots of people have nurses that can come visit them--and these visits are often considered part of the surgery. You can also reach out to friends.

Surgeons at the Rothman Institute, where my surgeon works, did a study that found that people who lived alone actually did fine in recovery. But you can mention all this to your surgeon.

Good Morning Everyone,

I have a few questions:

I smoke cigarettes and I'm trying to quit I am on Chantix but do not have the willpower to
put them down. I thought with the surgery coming it would be enough incentive to put them down.
My question is if I'm not successful what are the dangers to me in surgery? Any suggestions on how to quit. My husband smokes also, he smokes about 2 packs a week me I smoke a pack a day which is down from 2 packs a day.

I've been told to ask my friends for help. I would but they are all up North in NY. The couple of friends I have here are at arms length and none are woman. I am mostly a loner so if anyone knows of help available in Palm Beach County, Florida. Lake Worth Beach, I would love to hear about them.

Money is a major issue for me. I've been preparing for this for about a year. I originally wanted to begin this process in March then came COVID19, my husband was out of work the past 6 months he just got a job at Wal-Mart which doesn't pay much. We will just be able to manage the necessities if that so buying anything is out of the question. I thought I had everything but I missed the shower assist thingy. If anyone knows where I can get a used one that would be great.

Sleeping which I love cause it used to be the only time I don't feel pain. This is not the case anymore.
Any movement at all sends pain screaming down my leg and across my back. I get NO relief from the pain now. I try to cry only when my husband isn't here because bless his heart he feels so powerless and does everything around the house and now I have to add cooking to that list. Any suggestions in a position to sleep in that wont hurt so much?

Pray for me today. I have to go for blood work and to sign a paper at doctors office, rain is bad and as usual I'm alone.

Thanks.

You might try nicotine therapy ... as in the patch and gum and lozenges.

The studies out there are tricky. Yes, smoking seems to raise the rate of complications after surgery and increase the need for revisions (fixes to the current surgery). But teasing out the harmful effects of smoking vs. pure nicotine is challenging.

Some surgeons are comfortable operating on people who are on the patch or who use lozenges or gum. Check with your surgeon on this. And you can be kind to yourself: nicotine is incredibly addictive, says this former cigar smoker, who didn't realize he was getting a ton of nicotine from cigar smoking. I used nicotine lozenges to quit smoking and my family doctor was so happy--as was my dentist. My family doctor was fine with me continuing with the lozenges for a while. Said it was 100 x better than smoking.

Talk to your surgeon.

I am not sure what you mean by a shower thingy. Do you mean a shower chair or a transfer bench if you have a tub/shower combo? I have no tub with my shower so it was easier. I ended up not using mine as it was easier to stand and shower quickly than to sit down. You can also see if you can use any plastic chair if it fits in your shower or tub securely.

Getting comfortable pre surgery to sleep was very difficult. I used pillows to support my leg in a position that was most comfortable and other pillows around me for support and as a reminder not to move too much as it did hurt when I changed positions or got up to use the bathroom.

Pain is very wearing physically and emotionally so be kind to yourself while you are waiting for surgery. I am sure your husband does not mind taking care of you while you wait and recover from surgery as he wants you to enjoy life again.

I actually got everything I needed for recovery from the good will ministry store in town. They had everything and some of it was brand new and I borrowed a walker. My OS program included a gift of an icing machine.
As far as smoking I can't help you as I was fortunate enough to never smoke. As far as recovery it will decrease you oxygen which helps heal. I know they aren't enthusiastic about performing surgery on smokers. I do know that smoking costs a lot of money so that might be a good incentive.

It was difficult for me to stop smoking. I tried everything from acupuncture to hypnosis. Finally, I quit cold turkey a New Year's morning when I ran out. I was addicted! I smoked 3 packs a day. You can do it!

I had the "knee replacement from hell", lol. No doctor considered the main problem could be my hips. So my knee refused to heal with my hips being so bad. My xray of my hips scared me to tears when I saw them, they were badly deformed. I refused surgery on my hips 'cause I dreaded going through another painful recovery from surgery. My hip recovery has been so easy I regret not having it much sooner.

When I could not walk and I was in so much pain I decided to have my hips replaced. Everyone told me how great I would feel after and I didn't believe them.

It's true!!

I had the first replacement in May and it completely changed my life. My knee is improving since my hip replacement and life is good again.My second replacement is January and I am looking forward to it. My hip surgeon told me my knee will not completely heal until I have the other hip replacement. The other hip is beginning to act out. Not as painful as the first hip, but it is quickly starting to complain more frequently and I'm losing more range of motion.

Every surgery is scary, especially now, but you'll have your life back again! You will be amazed!!

Happy Friday @Pookie1002
Stopping by to extend best wishes for your surgery on Monday. I understood it’s scary, we’ve all been there, but the majority of us have this thought afterward “if I only knew, I wouldn’t have been so afraid” you’ll be joining the chorus soon. Wishing you comfort as you await your date, you’re almost there! :happydance:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562