Revision TKR Stairs

Angel17701

Country
United States United States
Hi everyone,
My left knee replacement is loose. My OS is going to try replacing the polyethylene insert, if that doesn’t stabilize it the a total revision. He says I’ll be partial weight bearing (50%) for a few weeks. For those of you who have gone down this road, how did you do stairs? I’m doubting they’ll give me crutches as I’ll be 66. Inpatient rehabilitation is out for me. I have someone to stay with me and help. Someone mentioned sitting on the stairs backwards and pushing up??
I’m really a wreck thinking about this. Thank you for your insights.

@Angel17701,
Our members who had a spacer exchange, found the recovery easier than for a full TKR. There is less disruption of your soft tissue, and the surgery time is significantly shorter.

Your PT will show you how to do stairs, if you are stable enough the PT will show you how to use crutches. You are more likely to be able to use crutches if you have a previous history of using crutches.

@Pumpkin
I don’t know what will be done. My x-rays were not showing any misalignment or bone separation. No evidence of anything. I’m not even in pain. My knee is just unstable, it slides. After walking on it, it feels tight or stiff but still not painful. No swelling
I’m hoping just the spacer but have to be prepared for total revision.
I used crutches years ago to get the feel of them.
My husband recently passed and I want this over with and to be home with my canine kids.
Are there other stair navigation options?
Thanks for reaching out.

Are there other stair navigation options?
As Pumpkin says, physio will show you all the options for tackling stairs before you are discharged from the hospital. They will not let you go home until you can do stairs.

I’m doubting they’ll give me crutches as I’ll be 66.

Wait, what? Is there something wrong with using crutches?

I had my RTKR at 69 and used crutches for a couple weeks, and felt like I made things worse for my left leg and shoulders.

Hi @montanagal , I’ll be using a walker most times and a crutch with a railing for my short flight of stairs. Thank you for your reply.

I am 77 !
Had my op in May!
I was taught in the hospital how to use crutches and a walking stick adjusted to my height.
you go upstairs with the stick, in the hand opposite to your banister.
then the mantra is.....The good go to Heaven the bad goes to hell.
meaning your bad leg of course!
I practised with walking stick before the op and mastered it.
Hope this helps! x

Yes it's great!
good luck with your future treatment, hope it goes well, and keep in touch! x

Exactly how many stairs are you talking about? To get into your house? To get upstairs to a bedroom?

PT will certainly verse you on correctly being able to do stairs prior to leaving the surgery facility.

@eaglemom
I have 10 steps to my living area. I’m in a bi-level. I live on the upper level. I have someone to stay with me and help out for a few weeks, also rides to PT. The only thing downstairs is my laundry but that will be done for me too until I’m able to do it.

It really sounds like you've got things under control,, good for you. Yes steps are VERY scary the first time you try them, but you will relax and learn how to do them properly. It is so wise having some help, sometimes its hard to admit we need help, very glad you know you'll need help. Good job.

I'm very sorry to read about your husbands passing - that is such an emotional time. Just be very patient with yourself, you've had a lot to deal with.

@eaglemom
Thank you. It’s been a very hard two years. I’m hoping and praying once my knee is done and I’m healing I can focus on PT and try to relax. Life has been very difficult.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie