BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

Stairs: how to cope with them after surgery

Discussion in 'Post-surgery information (knees)' started by Josephine, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Do NOT worry about stairs! You'll not be allowed out of hospital till you can do them and it's really not that difficult. This video is suitable for both hips and knees

On arrival home, I was on my own for a few hours till the cavalry arrived and in that time I made it up and down twice without any trouble whatsoever. It's all a question of technique.

Have one crutch, holding the other horizontally against the handle and grasp the hand rail with the free hand. Then the golden rule "Good up - bad down" meaning on the way up, you go up one step with the good leg. Then the crutch and lean on it and your good leg whilst you bring your bad leg up. One the way down, put the crutch down and take the weight while you put the bad leg down, then bring the good leg down. Easy! And much better than worrying about coping with a flight. It's also a good bit of exercise you don't want to miss out on! :wink:

BUT do not force yourself to do stairs 'normally'. It will happen when it happens. Trying to MAKE it happen will only cause problems - and pain!

• Like Like x 11
    • Agree Agree x 2