Stairs after surgery

julie1968

Country
United States United States
Im having TKR left knee and worried about getting to my apt. I have to go up 10 steps will that be possible when I'm released?

Hi and Welcome to Bonesmart.

Yes, you will be able to navigate stairs. Navigate being the operative word, as it most likely won’t be super easy, but you’ll manage. The PT in the hospital will show you how.

And you might even do better than “manage” as we are all different and so are our recoveries!

Make sure there is someone with you and use a cane for support and hold on to a railing.

I only had a few steps into my house, I didn’t have a cane, and I did have a poor railing, so we had a friend come over to stay behind me while I held on to my husband and I navigated enough to get in. It was only about 30 hours after surgery so I was still a little shaky.

Now that I know that to expect I think I’ll do better next time and won’t need a second person with me. I’ll have more confidence that I can do it.

Best wishes for your upcoming surgery.

Thank you for your response. Once I get inside everything is one level. My Dr plans to admit me for a couple days so with therapy and my husband's help I should be ok. Been in this pain for over 4 years so anxious to get the surgery done.

@julie1968

I have 12 steps to go up to the main living area of my house.

The steps haven’t been a problem for any of my joint replacements - I just go/went up them toddler-fashion (one step at a time).

You’re going to do really well!

Good leg goes to heaven bad leg goes to hell. Remember that and you will be fine

I live on the 3rd floor of my building with no elevator. I came straight home from the hospital and really had little trouble navigating the stairs. They worked with me on it before I left the hospital. Take your time and use the handrails. I was nervous but it was surprisingly easy. You will do fine!

Wow, so glad this topic came up! I have been worried about stairs too. I’m on a 2nd floor of a condo apt building (no elevator) and have to navigate 14 steps inside and 5 more outside.

So glad you asked the question Julie 1968 as the responses are helping me too!

I had 2 hip replacements last year and am waiting a TKR in March on a knee that is pretty bad. I have 16 stairs indoors to navigate for bed and have been able to manage fairly easily. The first time hubby stood behind me when I went up and in front of me when I went down, in case of mishaps, but I didn't actually need him.
I think of those stairs as my physio.

I have to go up 10 steps will that be possible when I'm released?

You shouldn't have any problem. I had both knees replaced and by the day after surgery I was able to climb 13 steps and go back down. Oh, I was slow and the journey wasn't exactly comfy, but I had no trouble with the steps. The new knees surprised me with how able and stable they were!

For the first few weeks, I limited my trips up and down stairs to once per day. Down in the morning and back up again at night. If necessary, though, I could do them more often.

Thank you so much. So glad I found this site it has helped me so much already

Hi julie1968, so glad you asked this question. I’m having same day knee replacement surgery and have three sets of steps to negotiate. I’ve been wondering if this was going to be a huge problem, but it appears the steps should be doable. One less issue to stress over. Thanks !

Maybe the nurse will help u. My Dr doesn't let any patients go home same day for total replacement which im happy about. Gives the therapist a couple days to help me. Hope things go well for u . Sending u good vibes :)

I too am a bit concerned about the stairs part. My ltkr we were in a rancher now we're in a house with stairs. I know they do stairs at the hospital but still a concern . Maybe like someone mentioned it will be good exercise for recovery

I'm so glad I found this thread! I'm having my knee replacement on March 4th and was very worried about my stairs. I will have to go upstairs for my bed and to shower. Feeling a lot more confident that I will be able to do that now.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom