THR ssbluewolf Recovery Journey

Good Morning @ssbluewolf

Aww, I'm so sorry...please know that you're not alone. Many go through the Post Op Blues. Re-read the article from the Recovery Guidelines when you're feeling up to it. I believe the worst days may begin to be behind you. The first couple weeks can throw you for a loop and be rough. You're tired, in pain, not able to do much for yourself. It's not fun, but it's only temporary.

It's good your appt with the OS is tomorrow. You can have the wound checked and gain some reassurance from him that all is well and that your mood will improve. I'm sure being alone makes it all worse. No real company or help at the ready. My heart goes out to you in that. Can you have a family member, friend or neighbor check in on you daily and make sure you're set up for the day?

You may get released to drive if you're off the heavy narcotics. That was really my surgeon's only requirement. I was released to drive at my first post op appt which was three weeks after surgery. I'm sure your surgeon will let you know when you can drive tomorrow.

Stop by often, we're here for you. Wishing you brighter days! :SUNsmile:
Hugs :console2:

Hello @ssbluewolf!:wave: It is so good to hear from you! I am so sorry you're down in the dumpest.:console2:Getting out tomorrow even for an appointment will help. Maybe stop at your favorite coffee shop with who drives you to your appointment. Coffee and a treat out would help lift your spirit and strength your resolve that this will pass. Drive through a park would lift me up, even to watch the children playing or feeding the ducks. I'm just glad to hear from you! Big hug, a warm rub on your back sent to you. :friends:

So glad you decided to check in here with support central for a quick resupply! You understand the most important thing: today’s limitations and discomforts are temporary. That’s a solid foundation to build on. When you’re alone so much, there’s no one to point out all the things you’re doing right and all the progress you’re making. It’s double duty, to be patient and coach at the same time. Yet you deserve a high five for every small sign of progress, so we’d love to hear about it all.

I am optimistic that your doctor will have encouraging things to tell you tomorrow, and I hope you’ll let us know. You reminded me of Dorothy, when she was repeating “There’s no place like home.” I suspect your phrase might be closer to, “I will feel like me again.” You will! Maybe sooner than you think!

Last edited:
Yes @ssbluewolf , click those ruby slippers chanting "I will be back, I will be back". On another note, you being a coffee lover I was wondering what is your favorite coffee. I like to try different ones and it is difficult to find something other than the standard Folgers. I have had eight o'clock, not much different. My oldest son calls himself a coffee snob and travels with his own coffee, pears I think it is. He tells about when he got coffee from dunkin doughnuts and got online and left a comment on their site "If this is what America runs on that explains alot". :rotfl: take care.

Oh @ssbluewolf , you poor baby. You should be very proud of your daughters, sounds like you did a wonderful job. I don't know what might be available, but for a long time I volunteered for a program run by my local visiting nurse association called "Friendly Visitors". The volunteers were checked out, both personally and physically (up to date vaccines, negative TB test) and were assigned one or more primarily house-bound people to visit. We were available to run errands, drive them to appointments, etc. and often just sit and chat. Hope there is something like that in your area.

@ssbluewolf how did things go with your follow-up today? You feeling a little better yet? I know the emotions seem to be all over the place, it's really kind of annoying. And we have enough other annoying niggles, zips, zaps and what have you to deal with.
:good-bad:

Thank you all so much for your kind and uplifting advise and kindness! I’m doing some better; still have moments that I just break down in tears for no apparent reason, other than it’s to quiet or I realize my daughter just left and it’s just me and the ice packs again lol :flabber:. My OS appointment went well this morning; he said my incision did look a little red and irritated, but he thought it was probably from staple irritation more than anything.Since it was so inflamed he only took out every other staple today and I go back next week to get the others removed :yes!: ( I had 32 staples total). I’m still swelling some but it’s probably because I’m up more than I’m down and trying to over do myself. He said since I’ve took myself off pain meds I could try to drive but only if I was able to use breaks well (not there yet).
Tomorrow is my last in home PT and I’ll start out patient PT, if I can drive or find transportation, I definitely need it, my gait is way off and limping bad.
I know I need to take one day at a time, one goal at a time....you guys are wonderful! Thank you so much for such caring hearts!
Many Blessings

Hello @ssbluewolf i am sorry you are having a rough time of it. The emotional roller coaster is difficult isnt it? Also the being alone i find really tough. I found it helps to set myself goals that were moveable so even if I didn’t manage them in my timescale I could try again. I hope that today is a good day for you

It just takes time, I’m alone most of the time, I’m 7 weeks out, I’m driving, walking ok, still limp, but have some pain and soreness , it is getting better. I just started PT yesterday, and my range of motion is bad, it’s depressing, because that’s why I did the thr , the way I deal with the sadness is I try to remember how much better I am now than 4 weeks ago. And I am thankful for the improvement because it can always be worse. Good luck to you, this too shall pass.

Hello and Happy Friday to you! :wave:
I'm sorry you're feeling emotional. Please re-read the article on Post Op Blues from the Recovery Guidelines and know that you're not alone in feeling this way and that it will pass -
http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/post-op-blues-is-a-reality-be-prepared-for-it.7591/

The Activity Progression for THR may be beneficial also to use as a rough gauge so you're not overdoing it and consequently suffering pain -
http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/activity-progression-for-thrs.13187/

And last but not least, a tip -
Try heel-toe walking when / if you're limping. Let your heel hit the ground first followed by toes.
It takes a concentrated effort but I believe you'll notice a difference. Give it a try.

It's still early days, ALL will get better. At this point a week, or two can even make a difference.
Chin up....you're on your way! :happydance:
@ssbluewolf

Morning @ssbluewolf. I was walking with my left foot turned in some at the hospital and the nurse pointed it out to me, grateful she did. I then paid close attention to how I placed my feet at I progressed with walking. Heel toes as @Layla suggested is a work in progress however I found it has taken that limp out of my stride. Keep on keeping on, we've got your back! :friends:

Hi ssbluewolf.
You have the answers and you know that you are trying a bit too hard to rush this recovery...so try to relax and let your body use the energy you are expending in trying to get to the next "step" for the healing that is still happening.
Slow and steady Wins this Race...all temporary and well worth it in the end.
Healing mojo coming your way.

Hello everyone, hope everyone is doing well!
I have had a lot going on. I started my outpatient PT yesterday; which I think I am going to love.Ive already given my therapist a Knick name, Zeus. He has a great sense of humor and he allows me to go at my speed, sometimes I get ahead of him, already.

I went back to OS today to have the other half of my staples removed, but only a few came out because the bottom area still had some draining and swelling. My incision still burns and feels raw. I have to clean it twice a day with iodine; I’m praying everyday that it doesn’t get infected!!! I am constantly sitting on an ice pack , I try to find some humor in it, so I don’t cry all the time....I think this is the most “chilled” I’ve been in my life. :heehee:

Since surgery myself and my PT have noticed a leg differential. I mentioned this to OS and he said yes, and I will have it until I get my left hip done; that my x-rays definitely showed my left hip needed replaced also and once I have that surgery, everything will equal out. Oh Lordy, I don’t ....I can’t think about another surgery yet!!!!

I still wake up through the night at times hurting, but I’m just on Tylenol for pain; hopefully that pain will heal soon. ( I toss and turn in my sleep, always have, so I’m sure that’s the cause of that).
On a brighter note, my baby (puppy) Sophie is coming home on the 7th, I can’t be away from her any longer!!! I’ve bought her a couple of new toys and special treats I’ll just have to keep her off my incision area.
Thank you guys for just listening to me rant from time to time
Many Blessings

I was thinking about you today @ssbluewolf. So glad you are doing well and with PT! Your little Sophie will be so happy to see you. When my Lucy came home I had to remind my self to stay calm on greeting her so she stayed calm in return. Hard to do when it's your baby I know. You have a good night and having Sophie home maybe you'll rest better. :dogsniff:

@ssbluewolf sorry you're still dealing with staples and incision drainage, hopefully it will clear up soon. You sound well other than that. Sophie will be so happy to see you and think she'll do you a world of good being back home.

Hi @ssbluewolf
Thanks for your last update. I'm wondering how you've been over the past week?
Hopefully you're still enjoying PT and Zeuss isn't being too pushy, lol.
With any luck your incision stopped draining and you'll have the rest of the staples removed soon, if you haven't already.

Wondering what dosage of Tylenol you're taking...the forum Nurse often recommends Extra Strength Tylenol at 1000 mg every six hours, not to exceed 4000 mg in any 24 hr period. Anything else you're taking that contains Acetaminophen must be calculated into the 4000 mg so you're not exceeding that amount.

Hopefully you're enjoying the company of Sophie again.
Happy One Month Anniversary!

Hey, stopping by to say :hi: and see how you're recovery is going?
We haven't heard from you in a month. Hopefully all is progressing nicely in your recovery.
Leave us an update next time you're on the forum.
Until then...take care!
@ssbluewolf

:hi: @ssbluewolf
Happy Two Month Anniversary! :flwrysmile:
I hope all is well. :)

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JasminDickson