THR When will I be able to walk unaided?

Sheffield1966

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi everyone, I had a LTHR on Monday of this week. I feel awful but what is really worrying me is that I had my right hip replaced in 2003 and since this week's surgery the old hip is squeaking. I'm finding this so hard, I'm sore and I'm overwhelmed.

:wave: @Sheffield1966 and welcome to Bone Smart, glad you joined us. Want to clarify a couple of things with you if I could. Left hip was replaced on Monday, 20 January 2020, correct? Do you remember when in 2003 you had your right done? We try to add this info to your signature so when folks answer you they have an idea where you're at in recovery.

Going to leave you the Recovery to read. Realize this isn't your first rodeo but it's been a bit of time since the last THR.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website
Oral And Intravenous Pain Medications
Wound Care In Hospital

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Ok, now that I got you the reading into on to your question. You say the old hip is squeaking. Can you actually hear noise or is it just a feeling of something moving back and forth? Maybe a tendon or something moving across a bone?

What type of replacement do you have. There are youtube videos of people with ceramic replacements squeaking when they move.

It’s ceramic on ceramic, fitted by the same surgeon who has just replaced my other one. Prior to surgery last Monday it was silent now it creaks and you can actually hear it, like a stomach noise! I can feel it catching a bit too but no pain. The physio in hospital said it was because my pelvis is now aligned but I’m worried it’s going to shatter or something

Please try not to worry I'm sure it's not going to shatter etc as Ceramic on Ceramic are very durable especially as you've not had a trauma that could have damaged the old replaced hip.

Ceramic on Ceramic gave the least wear in testing etc but one of the side effects are they can squeak when moving/walking.

Your physio could be right in that since 2003 (17 years) the Ceramic hip has been in that specific position and has microscopically worn in that position but since your new hip has aligned your hips your old hip default position has slightly changed and due to the microscopic wear which is tiny way less than 1mm it's causing the noise.

Please speak to your consultant to confirm but try not to worry.

What I see often posted on this forum is the new hip leg often feels a bit longer than the opposite side, but as the new hip heals, the perceived leg length can become normal feeling. I am no expert. Just wondering if this may subside as you heal.

@Sheffield1966 You are only days out of major surgery. Give your body a chance to adjust to that new hip. Your pelvis will balance and any aches and pains will decrease as everything settles.

For now please take any pain medication around the clock, as prescribed and try not to worry.

I'm three weeks in, going insane, I'm nowhere near walking without my crutches. I can manage one around the house but that's as good as it gets. I'm 53 and I'm reading of people 20 years older than me who are virtually dancing back to work! I'm getting very despondent. I've tried to walk but a disaster just a really painful hobble

@Sheffield1966
You'll notice that I have merged your two threads together as we prefer that members in recovery only have one thread.

This is for three reasons:
1. if you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts others have left you in the old threads
2. it often ends up that information is unnecessarily repeated
3. it's best if we can keep all your recovery story in one place so it's easily accessed if we need to advise you.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread. If you would like a new thread title just post what you would like it to be and we'll change it for you

I can manage one around the house but that's as good as it gets. I'm 53 and I'm reading of people 20 years older than me who are virtually dancing back to work!
Patience, my friend!

It's only 3 weeks since you had this major surgery and your hip needs time to heal.

Those stories you hear are mostly either boasting or urban myth. Recovery from a hip replacement takes a long time - as long as a full year. It's major surgery and you can't bounce back from it in just a few weeks.

And recovery takes just as long, regardless of your age. Even if you were young and fit before surgery, you aren't going to recover any faster than someone older.

We recommend taking about 12 weeks off work and then doing a Phased return to work , if possible - not rushing back early.

Keep using those crutches, because you need them. There's no need to rush to get off them, and no prizes for getting off them early, especially if getting off them too soon exposes you to the risk of having a fall.

Try not to compare your recovery to other people's recoveries. Every hip is different and every surgery is different. Stop making yourself crazy by expecting to recover faster. It will take as long as your body needs it to.

Time to heal.jpg

Use the support as you need it to regain good walking gait. It will all come with patience and time. Be kind to yourself and do not gauge yourself against others and especially not stories heard from friends and neighbors. Memories fade and sometimes people remember that they recovered in 1 week or less and tell others. Without rereading all my notes here from my first hip, I could not tell you how I felt or how long it took to be really mobile. I am just happy that the pain is gone.

I can manage one around the house but that's as good as it gets.
Everyone is different, but it seems to me, and I am no expert, we lose some muscle mass while recooperating, and I think it will take time to build it back up.

I timed myself for five minute walks with my cane around the house today, just two times. Tomorrow I will make it 6 minutes. The next day 7.......

It may sound boring, but slow and steady does win this race.

At three weeks you've reached the I can't believe this is taking so long stage. I really doubt the stories of the people dancing back to work at 3 weeks. I doubt they were dancing or going back to work. Everyone's recovery is different no matter what. I was walking with a cane but it wasn't pretty and I didn't push it much in the early weeks.

Going "insane" and becoming "despondent" at only three weeks post op is
waaaaay premature. Give it another week at least. :heehee:

Kidding aside, you are in the infancy of your recovery. Flesh was cut, bone sawed, power tools used. Healing takes time and three weeks out is not much time. Please be patient, you will get there.

Use the Activity Progression For THR from the Recovery Guidelines as a gauge for activity in these very early weeks of the journey. If you can engage in the recommended activity comfortably, be happy, you're doing well.

Have a great week!
@Sheffield1966

During the course of your recovery, if you are like most of us, you will hit those plateaus where you feel like you've been stuck there forever and are never going to feel "normal" again. I think there are people who are able to walk without devices more quickly than others. I also know that most of those people will eventually run into a roadblock at some other time in their recovery. I don't think many of us come out of this experience without feeling exactly as you currently are at some point.

It's not always easy, but I think the ability to listen to your own body is key. Knowing some of the general timelines, and hearing how others are doing can be helpful, but every single person has their own unique timeline. Also, do check in here on the forum and let others know how you are feeling---and what your questions and concerns are. No matter what you share, there will be someone who can relate, and can offer you the support you need. Good luck with your recovery!

:wave: @Sheffield1966
All sounds very normal to me...the anxiety about What Is Normal too.:yes:
I had bilateral hip replacement at age 53 and these are indeed early days and not indicative of How It Will Be.
Time is the greatest healer and out of our control.
You are doing just fine and this too shall pass.
Keep all slow and steady and keep the mantra All Temporary going...this is what got me through.
Hope today is a good day.

Last edited:
Thank you for all your advice. I'm not the best patient! I've given myself a good talking to and promised myself I won't whinge for another month I'll just keep going and hope I keep getting better week by week. This site is really great by the way

Its fine...whining is allowed.:yes:
My recovery thread is in my signature, if you are tired of whining and want to read some whining. :giggle: Oh My Stars....! I was an anxious wreck for the first few months.
Commiserating is a great part of Bonesmart....and the reassurance you receive from staff and members is what got me through some rough bits.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
mexicaliaguilas
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom