Squats and forward bends?

AJinNH

senior
Country
United States United States
A quick inquiry to all of you post-grads; As I was buzzing around today with some of my pre-op energy I noticed that I do quite a lot of forward bends and squats. How long before you were able to resume either or both of these activities? Please don’t say never...

I’m especially interested if you had a posterior approach.

Last edited:
I had mini posterior and I think it took about 4 weeks. I was transitioning back to work at 6 weeks, so I was definitely moving pretty normally by then.

Sent from my Venue 7 3730 using Tapatalk

Thanks @alexthecat that’s much faster than I expected! I’m relieved that eventually I can bend and squat as normal. I’m having mini-posterior as well.

Hi AJ.....I'm having a mini-posterior too.....I haven't squatted in years, so it will be interesting to see if I can do it with a new hip (or was I just unfit? :heehee:)

mini posterior - almost 6 months and can do most everything I could prior including squatting and bending. I am cognizant though of my positioning and cautious when doing any twisting...

Hi @anny I’m lucky that I can still do those things. My knee can be an obstacle at times, but not my hip. It’s funny how I’m paying close attention to everything that I do now. I never realized how much I bend down and squat. When I’m with the grandkids then everything seems in slow motion, so I hear you.

Thanks @dapplega good to know. I’m sure I’ll be cautious as well.

AJ, I was not doing those things pre-THR. I had a hip fracture nine months earlier and I had very limited mobility until I had THR. I still bounced back pretty fast and you may be even faster than I was. Just keep your positive outlook. You've got this!

Sent from my Venue 7 3730 using Tapatalk

My question exactly @sequin98! And @AJinNH, once again I had exactly the same doubt as you - at the moment I'm a whizz at touching my toes, and I thought it would be sad to lose the ability, even if I don't need it particularly. You were right when you said we worry about the same things!

what is the difference between mini and regular?
Just a longer incision.

@AJinNH my LTHR was mini-posterior and I don't have any limitations. Everyone is different in terms of how fast they regain mobility. But if your surgeon is OK with you doing bends and squats at a particular point - go for it.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft