THR Spring in my step

Status
Not open for further replies.
I certainly can - his name is Dr Gregg Lees and his surgery is in Low Fell, Gateshead. Sounds a treck but it's just a bit up the A1 just past the Angel of the North! Perhaps you could drop in for a coffee on your way home! :wink:

Thank you for the information Josephine.I will read up on his web site and will gladly take you up on your kind offer of coffee if I arrange an appointment.It is difficult to know which category of professional to seek out as there are a so many who claim to be able to help with chronic soft tissue pain so I am grateful for your recommendation.

PM me when you're coming and I'll let you have my details!

Josephine I am pleased to report that the soft tissue pain in my right thigh seems to be getting a little better so I am putting the appointment with Dr Lees on hold for now but if this progress is not maintained I will contact him and let you know the date and time. Thanks again for the information.

Well it's now eight months since I got my new right hip and I am very pleased to report that finally I seem to be making some progress. I didn't post an update at seven months as I felt so fed up as my progress seemed to have come to a stand still and then it went backwards.

I now feel that the new hip is strong and working well.I am grateful to be walking in good form ( abds engaged, pelvis tucked under and a heel-toe gait) for about 2 miles as long as its on level ground.I love being able to get down on the floor to play with my baby grandson and being able to get up again without resorting to the downward dog move.I am so grateful to be rid of the preop pain and not having to be constantly looking out for a seat to rest when out for a walk.

My Preop dream was to get back to taking long hikes in the hills and on the beach and riding my bike in the great outdoors at the earliest opportunity.I am a long way from realising this dream and I haven't given up on it but I have now accepted that getting there is going to take longer than I anticipated.Like many others on this site I thought I would have been one of the lucky few who have a miraculous and fast recovery from the surgery.I am still trying to master the art of patience which is not my strong point. I am truly grateful to be able to take my short walks in the countryside.on the disused railway line near to where live which really lift my spirits.I have discovered a local group who hold taster sessions in Nordic Walking ( note Poppet) and if my OS gives the go ahead I will give it a go.

The left side is still giving me trouble but I have not had any further nocturnal shooting pains going from the hip to the knee and shin to keep me awake since stopping the exercises.and stationary cycling. The pain in the left side is intermittent and not as bad as the right side was before the surgery.I know that at some point it will need replacing but I am happy just to follow the advice from my OS on the timing.I am seeing him very soon on the 13th December.I still have problems with the soft tissue of my operated side but it does seem to be slowly improving.It doesn't stop me from walking as long as I avoid inclines although I am usually aware of a tightness or slight discomfort when I first set off.The main problem is when I climb stairs then I am very aware of it so my routine now is to do half the steps toddler style and climbing the others very slowly which seems to help a little.I also find flexing my knee and hip in a standing position so I avoid those moves.

I am so glad to be able to post a more positive update especially for those of you in your early post op days.The main lessons I have learnt over the past eight months are :-
1) The recovery from THR is most definitely a marathon and not a sprint as well as being a roller coaster ride.
2) Recovery really is individual so don't compare yours with others( easier said than done !)
3) Do not be tempted to overdo things especially in the early stages when you start to feel better ( less is more with this recovery )
4) Walking is the best exercise for your new hip.
5)Keep on reading all the great advice on Bonesmart.

Josephine I am pleased to report that the soft tissue pain in my right thigh seems to be getting a little better so I am putting the appointment with Dr Lees on hold for now but if this progress is not maintained I will contact him
Don't be fooled. Just because it's dropped below your radar doesn't mean there isn't still some pathology that needs dealing with. It's still there and will rise to bite you sooner or later.

Wow Kim22, do let me know about the Nordic Walking.. It is fantastic, but I haven't got back to mine... Working too hard!

Hi Josephine I know that you are right as that has been the pattern so far but I am seeing my OS at UHND in 3 weeks which isn't long now so I have decided to see what advice he has regarding the tendonitis.I will feel better once he has checked out the X-ray too to rule out any major complications such as calcification.I realise I will probably have to go outside the NHS to have this pathology resolved and that is whyI am so grateful for your recommendation to see Dr Lees but I would rather discuss it with Mr Scott first especially as the appointment with him is so close.I am just so happy to be able to to see some progress but I am under no illusion that I am out of the woods yet.

Hi Poppet It may well be the case that I won't be able to do it either if it is too strenuous and causes pain but I would love to give it a try and that's why I was pleased to find a free taster session.Its not long now until you retire and then you will have the time to get those poles out again.

Great news about your improvement Kim! I hope it continues!

Thank you calikat for stopping by and for your good wishes.How are you doing now ?

Oh... I didn't get your alert Kim... Never mind :) take care honey.....

Have you read this article I wrote... The following is a link to an article which provides some approximate timeframes around the healing phases and processes (and relevant nutritional information) for you to read.

Healing Phases & Nutrition

This second link is to other nutritional articles which you may find interesting, including one relating to bone health.

Nutritional advice for pre op and recovery

Cheers, Poppet.

Disclaimer: The information on dietary factors, foods, and beverages contained in these articles does not cover all possible uses, actions, precautions, side effects, and interactions. It is not intended as medical advice for individual problems. Liability for individual actions or omissions based upon the contents of this article is expressly disclaimed. Consult a doctor or other health care professional for diagnosis and treatment of all medical conditions including the taking of supplements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JennyG42