Lounge Doctor

THR Sportsider65 2nd THR 5 days in

Sportsider65

Country
Canada Canada
Hi All
I hope my experiences help others.
I am a married 65 year old male in decent shape and about 10 lbs overweight.
I am on day 5 of my 2nd Posterior THR.
I found during my first recovery ( left) it is not a race out of the gate. The first issue for me upon returning home after the first THR 2 years ago was constipation from the half and half tylenol/opioid pain killers. This time (right) I haven't opened the pill bottle ( ICE!!). Instead I had 2 Tylenol every 4 hours on 1st day home ( 2nd day with new hip) and started taking stool softener ( a knock off of Senakot).
2nd day home (ICE ICE ICE!) 1 tylenol every 4 hours during the day and 2 before bedtime with 2 more in middle of the night. More Senakot.
3rd day home BINGO..BOWEL MOVEMENT!! Now I can focus on recovery!! No Tylenol during the day (ICE) then 1 every 4 hours from dinner time until 4 Amish.
4th day home..5th day with new hip.
Let's see..what should I do for a speedy recovery? Well why not try the same things I did at this stage of my left THR rehab! By the way my left hip is now 2 years old and it is wonderful! Strong, pain free with so much more mobility.
Today's exercise regime. 5th day.
Wake up sore as hell and stiff. Gently swing my leg off bed to floor using my good foot locked under the ankle. Hurt like hell, but gets er done. 10 slow steps to bathroom using walker. Pump out, quick wash, brush teeth then off to start day. My wife does everything I can't but she let's me try to do all I can as LIVING IS MY EARLY EXERCISE PROGRAM.
First things first..get the coffee pot on! Then off to the freezer to put a fresh frozen gel pack in a pillow case as I have a fair amount of swelling on butt, around incision and my knee. ICE!
I should say a tray or couple of empty yogurt containers strapped to the walker are a must for water, phone or TV remote.
Coffee's ready. Get milk from fridge. Move to chair at kitchen table. I am bagged! When does physio start? Oh ya...I have been doing it for at least 20 minutes now, just living! It takes my breathing, heart rate and anxiety at least 5 minutes to slow down after moving to the kitchen table. My wife brought me a cup of coffee with a bowl of cereal while I ICED my hip and knee. My next move will be down the hall for bathroom break then I will get horizontal on the couch for awhile to finish this post.
From my experience living through the ups and downs of my first THR I found the best rehab for me in the FIRST WEEK home was to listen to my body and just live. Believe me it is more than enough exercise. I get my staples out around day 14. Booked to go to physio the next day. Then for day 14 through to 1 month I hope to do all my exercises, as well as crank up the tunes while doing a few chores and JUST LIVE.
It worked fantastic on my first THC..why not try it again.

Hope this helps someone.
Geo

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@Sportsider65 Welcome to BoneSmart! Just remember - literally every THR is different, even on the same person. What worked before might or might not work this time. Listen to that hip and don't push.

It's great you are using ice. Elevate if you can. And don't go crazy on the physio. Lot of soft tissues need to calm down.

Here are your recovery guidelines:
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
We are all different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for YOU.“ Your doctor(s), physiotherapist(s) and BoneSmart are here to help. But you have the final decision as to what approach you use.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of this BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Country
United States United States
Welcome to BoneSmart and recovery. Thanks for joining us!
Today's exercise regime. 5th day.
Wake up sore as hell and stiff. Gently swing my leg off bed to floor using my good foot locked under the ankle. Hurt like hell, but gets er done. 10 slow steps to bathroom using walker. Pump out, quick wash, brush teeth then off to start day. My wife does everything I can't but she let's me try to do all I can as LIVING IS MY EARLY EXERCISE PROGRAM.
I love this! “Living is my early exercise program“ and it’s enough initially. Give yourself the TLC you deserve after this major surgery then begin to slowly engage using your body and as your guide. If it hurts…stop. I think you‘ve got this! :wink:
Wishing you all the best. Stay in touch so we can follow your progress.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Country
I will add October 4, 2021 as the surgery date for your Right THR. This will be your signature. We all have them as they’re helpful to those stopping by to read / comment.
If that’s incorrect, please leave the right date and I’ll edit accordingly.
Thanks!

OP
OP
S

Sportsider65

Country
Canada Canada
Day 7
Good morning. I notice my swelling is starting to go down over last couple of days but discomfort and tightness in my quad muscle is holding me back from bending my knee. I am sure this will improve over the next few days. I really haven't been able to do any more walking than a couple days ago. If recovery goes the same as my last THR I should be doing more walking and stretching in next few days.
I didn't sleep very good for 2 nights taking 1 tylenol at dinner then one before bed. Last night I tried 1 at dinner and 2 before bed and slept for 3 solid hours! Not much sleep after that so put on the coffee, stretched, walked slowly for 20 mins. and hope to snooze shortly.
Rather than a 6 to 8 hour sleep, what worked for me last time in the first couple weeks was a 2 or 3 hour sleep at my regular bedtime, then get up for stretching and walk around the house until I had enough then try to get another hour or 2 sleep. Plus a nap during the day.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Country
Happy One Week Anniversary! That was my first milestone. I recall just wanting to get to one week post op, silly I know. Seems after that the weeks started clicking on by. The more comfortable you are and the more active you become, without overdoing it of course, the quicker it seems time passes.

Good to hear your swelling has decreased. Do whatever is working for you as far as sleep goes. Since it’s not your first rodeo, you know these early post-op adjustments are only temporary. Try icing to relieve pain and help with the inflammation, if you’re not already.

Thanks for updating. Stay in touch! :)
@Sportsider65

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
:wave:
Love your Recovery Routine
:ice::ice::ice::ice::ice::ice:
similiar to mine:) :-) (:

All Temporary, healing Mojo coming your way!

OP
OP
S

Sportsider65

Country
Canada Canada
Thanks for the support. Great forum.
This morning (day 8), after stretching and slow baby steps around the house with the walker, I felt warmed up and ready to bear more weight.
I was ready but my new hip wasn't! I tried a controlled, short step with the walker for support, maybe 90% weight. I got a quick reminder to slow down. Not a sharp pain, but kind of a dull pain that might have gone to 7 or 8.
I remember my physiotherapist telling me on the first THR that when I am trying to move the joint and leg as little as possible in the first week, any tissue or muscle that was cut starts to stitch back together...not necessarily in the perfect position. Possibly a bit of tearing? I'm going to back off to 50% or 60% weight bearing the next day or two until all feels strong enough on new hip to add more again. Thoughts?

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
@Sportsider65 Were you given instructions only partial weight bear? If so, please don't try to full weight bear until restrictions are lifted. If you didn't receive restrictions, please go slow. If you have not put full weight on that new joint it is going to complain at first. You might try transitioning to on crutch or a cane to keep some stability.

I was fully weight bearing from the day of both my ops. That implant is strong. And the soft tissues and muscles just need to firm up around the joint again. There will be no tearing - just traumatised tissues.

OP
OP
S

Sportsider65

Country
Canada Canada
Thanks for that. All they said was to go on how I feel. I know I didn't damage anything. 50% weight bearing with the walker until I see physio next week works for me.
Slow and steady usually works best for me.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
I know I didn't damage anything.
No, you can put full weight on that op leg immediately post op. But if you are not ready - that's fine. Just stick to the slow and steady approach. Ask physio about transitioning to other assistive devices when you are ready.

OP
OP
S

Sportsider65

Country
Canada Canada
Day 10
My swelling is almost gone in hip, thigh and knee area. The swelling on my foot was actually worse last night, so I read through all the great advise on this site and realized laying flat on the couch or bed wasn't good enough. I elevated my leg and foot on pillows and slept that way. This morning the swelling was almost gone! Thank you all.
Elevate and Ice!!

OP
OP
S

Sportsider65

Country
Canada Canada
The first few weeks with my Left THR, it seemed like my new hip and leg were longer. Then a month or two down the road, it was exactly the same length as the right.
Here I am wondering again. My new right side seems about a 1/2 inch too long. Hope it settles in to be same length as the other.
Have others experienced this?

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Yes! Many of us, myself included. Then one day that feeling disappeared. Hopefully your sensation of leg length discrepancy will be fleeting also.
Especially since it only feels like a half inch difference.
One additional thought is to make sure you are not wearing older shoes with your pre op wear pattern, as that can make a huge difference in how your gait feels when walking.
Glad you are doing so well, isn’t it a great feeling to have both hips fixed?

OP
OP
S

Sportsider65

Country
Canada Canada
Thank you. Yes, I am so happy to have a good base to walk on again!
Before I had the first hip done 2 years ago, while ambling along bumpy trails, if I stumbled to the side I had to look for a place to land. My mobility got so bad that I couldn't throw my leg to the side to catch my balance. The first THR fixed the falls to the left, now I'm hoping this THR cleans up the stumbles to the right. Sunny days ahead!

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
@Sportsider65 Most of us felt leg length issues post THR. But in most cases this just fade away. Don't do anything about this for at least 3-4 months. It can take that long for things to balance. Then if you still have this feeling, visit a good podiatrist or PT to get measured.

Here's an article from our Library Leg length differential - LLD.

OP
OP
S

Sportsider65

Country
Canada Canada
Day 12
Good morning.
My body let me know that I am ready to do a little more. I only woke once last night for a bathroom break. To celebrate, after putting the coffee on, I did 5 trips from kitchen to back room with walker. Slow, heel toe steps, maybe 60% to 70% weight bearing.
My hope is to be able to use the cane in 4 days to get staples out, then first visit with physio on same day.
If not, the walker will work just fine for as long as it takes to get my strength and balance back.
I am fortunate that I am in no rush to get back to work, which must be added pressure for some to recover asap.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Country
Hello…good to hear from you. Thanks for updating. It’s good to read you’re allowing your body to be your guide rather than pushing it. I hope you have a great week. Keep in touch, we like to share in the joy of others progress. :)
@Sportsider65

New

OneStep App

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Susanbear
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom