Splat to the ground.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

1jt@atime

supremo
Country
United States United States
Now that you have the punch line, that's exactly what I did. My daughter works in DC and we commute the 45 miles together. She drops me off at the Pentagon in the AM and I take the Metro (subway) and walk 3 blocks to her work in the PM. Today I got less then a block from her work, walking on a red brick sidewalk that was somewhat uneven and all of a sudden I lost my balance and fell forward. It was in slow motion, like in the movies and it seemed like I had forever to firgure out the best way to fall. I used to fall to the right to protect my bad left hip but now that I have this new right knee, I was like, what now????? I ended up falling straight forward with legs mostly straight.

My first thought when on the ground was, what hurts? Not too bad actually though I was a litle sore around the new knee and hands. Second thought was, HOW IN THE WORLD AM I GOING TO GET UP???? With one new knee and several other joints in dire need of being replaced, splatted out on my stomach on the sidewalk in the middle of Washington DC, here I was laying there like a dead bug! At least the sun was shining and it is the first day of Spring! A man in a car yelled out and asked if I were okay. I said yes and he offered to pull over. He did and another girl appeared and between them helped me get to my feet. There are still kind people in this world.....

I am okay with a few scruffs here and there and my knee is fine. I think I broke a blood vesel just below the scare but I'll survive. It was a very emotional thing for me and I wanted to cry. Not because I hurt myself but because I almost hurt myself by just walking down the street. We all know the emotional toll a knee replacements places on us. I've worried about falling since I had my knee replacement so now all I can say is darn, I am so glad THAT's over with! Karen

Great that you didn't get hurt...

Oh Karen, that must have been so scary for you. are you sure you are OK? You will probably ache all over tomorrow. Sounds like you didn't fall directly on the knee so that was good. You are right, there are still a lot of good people still around, just look at all these friends we have met on this forum eh> Hope you feel better now. Hugs, Sue

Folks, I've taught hundreds of recruit police and the same amount of martial artist how to fall.
If you feel yourself going down, try and avoid reaching for the ground to break your fall. It can easily lead to a broken arm or collar bone.
If you know you are going down, try and roll with the fall. Splatting our knees or head just isn't worth it.

Look at it this 1Joint, you've got that first fall behind you now. I am glad you were not seriously hurt, and do not feel bad about the 'wanting to cry, heck, I've cried just thinking about 'what have I done'. God bless you.

Wow... that was scary just to *read* about and something I have worried about myself... I am so glad you are ok, although you may be a little sore tomorrow in several muscle groups.

The angels must be watching over you! Take it easy.

I am like Beachcomber, scared of falls. Thank goodness you weren't hurt but I agree, you are probably going to be sore tomorrow. Why don't you take a cane with you? I know it isn't all that attractive but falling isn't either. God, I just had a vision of myself in really nice heels and a cane. UGH! Think maybe I don't want to think about that. Take care of yourself. Rowdy

Praise God for His protection of you and your new knee. So glad you are okay. What a scare that must have been.

I to have had a fall but not a physicall one but an emotional one :O( got a letter in the mail today that my job has been terminated becuse i have been off to long due to my injury boy talk about sitting ya back and making ya cry it did me .I thought things were going good now this but i do have the Good lord on my side and im sure he will see me through all this .Sorry to vent so much but you all have helped me so much and i put you all in my prayers every night so with this ill say GOD bless you all ....... JIM

OHHHH Jim....that is tragic!! So, So sorry. I'll pray for wonderful things to happen for you in regards to employment!

Thanks so much for all the kind words. It was really scary and something I knew would happen eventually. I am very shakey on my feet with all my screwed up joints. I have to be very carefull all the time and sometimes I just forget. Wow, imagine forgetting about all the pains.....I'm sure I'll be even more sore then normal tomorrow. I might have to pop out a vicodan tomorrow when I'm working on those 58 Congressional questions/answers that are due on Monday!?!??! Just kiddin.....

Jim, I am so sorry to hear your bad news. I dont know if they can legally terminate you because of medical reasons. That just doesnt seem right. I bet someone will come along here soon that knows something about that. Isn't there the family and medical leave act that this would fall under? I'll keep you in my prayers. You have a lot of people here to support and encourage you. Karen

Jim, are you sure they can dismiss you for that reason? I am really sorry you had to receive such a rotten letter. My thoughts are with you, Sue

Jim--- I am so sorry. What an awful thing to happen to you emotionally when you are battling so much physically this time time.

Did you sign the FMLA forms at the beginning of your medical leave? There are many safeguards in that legislation. We discussed it a bit recently....

Who can you talk to for assistance? I don't know your occupation, but hopefully there is someone you can talk to who can help you figure this out for a favorable outcome.

Take care and chin up! You have your incredible faith and a lot of support on this site. Let us know how we can help.

I have the ceramic knees (Oxinium) and if I fall, I risk them shattering. Almost makes me want to use a walker for the rest of my life! But if I never fell when I had the bad knees, I really don't think I have anything to be concerned about, and even so, I know how to "roll with the fall"! I learned that playing Rugby!

Jim, I will add you to my prayer list for employment. My husband needs a new job as he is in a housing related industry and lately hasn't had full time work. So when I pray for him, I'll pray for you. God bless you. He has something prepared for you I'm sure. We're here for you!!

In hind-sight falling was possibly the best action to take maybe,what I mean is correcting the fall may have damaged the knee and going with it is what I think most of us with a TKR may of unconciously done! Hope it makes a bit of sense and glad your OK

ill tell ya what was said to me from a regional director. Jim you have been off for over 6 months and it is company policy that we can no longer pay for your medical insurance so therefore for you to have medical insurance we have to terminate you so you can get cobra !!!! which anyone knows its way out of reach price wise .and i am on workers comp because i was injured at work so as you can see im shocked and bewildered ??? i did not want to get an attornery cause everything i thought was going good but i guess im cornered now :O( im tryin so hard to not let this effect my recovery but its taking its toll emotionally wise ....... but hey have been through rough spots before and came out of it but gee wizz i thought at my age 54 i would be over those but guess not . thanks so much to u all for listening to me huggggggggggggggs and god bless .....JIM

Jim, sounds to me like you need a laywer. If that is a Work Related Injury there may be exclusions. I know this is so in the UK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom