BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. Announcing BoneSmart's NEW Joint Surgeon Locator tool

We are pleased to now offer a tool to help you find just the right surgeon for your needs.

Read more about this in this announcement:

Dismiss Notice

Spinal with Femoral Block and Sciatica

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Vansan, Feb 21, 2019.

1. Vansan

Vansan junior member

United States United States
    So I met with the surgeon yesterday and the Dr wants to do a spinal with femoral block.I am scared that I will be awake although he says no, I will not be awake. I have read from others where they did wake up.

I have horrible anxiety disorder. I just don’t want to be awake. He reassured me that I would not be awake. Dr said much safer with spinal less blood loss and less risks

My other concern is I have an L4-L5 disc protrusion. I told surgeon I was concerned about the spinal aggravating my sciatica. He says that also should not be an issue

Thoughts or advice appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Bionic

Bionic post-grad

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @Vansan,
    I have had 2 spinal blocks so far. I woke momentarily during the first but think it must only have been for a second or two and my eyes wern't open. I heard some banging but couldn't associate it with me.
    For the second op I mentioned it and the anaesthetist assured me it wouldn't happen again and it didn't.
    I am about to do it for a 3rd time at the end of next week and have no issues with the idea.

I would take the spinal block over GA any time but if you are worried mention it to the team and they will make sure that you have enough sedation not to wake up.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

Just tell the anaesthetist you do not want to see or hear anything. They will put you into a very comfy sleep, watch you like a hawk and you won't remember anything.
    I have L3/4 protrusion, stenosis and all sorts of spinal issues. My LTHR aggravated my sciatica but not due to any anaesthesia. Icing eased this immediately. They can also give you medication if your sciatica kicks off. I had no problems following my RTHR.

4. Jockette

Jockette FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Because of my back issues I requested general anesthesia and they didn’t even try to talk me out if it. I was fine with the general.

I don’t understand what blood loss has to do with the type of anesthesia.

5. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

That was probably at their request. Some people do want to be awake but I didn't! And I wasn't!
    Yes it is. Wouldn't you rather be safer?
    It won't be because where they give the spinal is a distance away from where the spinal discs are. Read this Anaesthetics - spinals, femoral blocks, GAs and everything else

6. Vansan

Vansan junior member

@Josephine.

Thanks so much for your feedback.
    You make me feel better

• Like Like x 1
  7. Mollymax

Mollymax graduate

@Vansan I have replied to your PM. They keep you well sedated and can even give you sedation before they start. I was so terrified I asked for sedation before the spinal which they did. I can only describe the feeling of sedation as being a happy drunk. I was so relaxed during both knee replacement operations and for someone like me who has a massive phobia that says something.

8. Vansan

Vansan junior member

@Mollymax

Thanks so much. That makes me feel better

9. maryo52

maryo52 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

You will have an appointment with the anesthetist prior to surgery and can discuss your concerns. I find that every surgery starts with 5 mg of midazlolam, which is a lovely sedative that also causes some amnesia. I call it "happy juice."

10. kneeper

kneeper FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I woke up feeling like I had a nice nap and I believe I said "is it done already?" :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. boneweary

boneweary new member

I'm on post-op day 6. I had a spinal. I want you to know, Pre-op for weeks I was practically disabled by fear and dread. Terribly frightened, blood pressure through the roof, insomnia, snapping out at loved ones, wanting no one near me and just an overall mental and emotional wreck and wanting to back out of it.

Now let me tell you, I had a spinal and then sedation through i.v. I DID wake up for probably Only a few seconds. You DON'T have to worry about that and I'll tell you why. Let me describe it. You are flat on your back, there's a drape right in front of you, you are so full of anti-anxiety sedation that I swear to you, I don't know if you can speak or even have an inclination to say, "hey! I am awake!" You are flattened and in a good way! It was totally non-distressing! Rather cerebral, actually, even interesting. I had no concern, no feeling of course, I was able to slightly turn my head to the side, then I was gone again, I was It only happened once. The anesthesia team are watching all your vital signs AND they are watching YOU as well.

Now let me tell you WHY it may be that I woke up, according to my surgeon's assistant. My blood pressure may have gone up or down and maybe they made a small adjustment for a minute, then bumped it up again. I had zero sense of time really. It felt like maybe 10 seconds at most. And I
    I was numb for hrs after surgery also. And believe it or not, when I really came to, I couldn't wait to tell people. As for the time I was under...zero memory. No crazy dreams or anything. Just zero. And it will be the best feeling - in its complete absence of feeling anything - you have had since the day you decided to have the surgery. Because you've worried sick.

I can so feel your anxiety and fear and hope to reassure you that if you do wake up, which they say is very rare, we're talking seconds of NO distress of any kind. Take heart!

• Like Like x 1
  12. julie1968

julie1968 member

@boneweary Thank you so much for your post. I feel much better now. I'm also getting the femoral block so hoping that helps for a day or so also. Speedy recovery to you

• Like Like x 1
  13. Vansan

Vansan junior member

@boneweary

I don think I can thank you enough.
    I keep rereading your post. You have made me feel so much better.

I started obsessing about the spinal from the minute it came out of the surgeons mouth.

Your words are SUCH a huge inspiration to me.
    I just want to hug you for taking the time and really understanding the gripping fear for someone who is already suffering from anxiety on a daily basis.

Prayers for a speedy recovery for you

14. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    @boneweary
    Thank you for your very helpful post. :flwrysmile:

I hope your recovery's going well.

Please will you start a recovery thread for yourself in the Knee Replacement Recovery Area
    so we can follow your progress and advise you if you need help? What was the date of your knee surgery and did you have a total or a partial knee replacement?

15. boneweary

boneweary new member

I hope I've gotten myself correctly signed up now! I was confused about how to do it. I tried to answer someone who had commented to me but it won't let me. I'm thinking that it may be like Facebook in that regard. Thank you!

16. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    @boneweary - You are signed up, because you are able to post. You have a recovery thread, here,
    https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/what-was-i-thinking.52870/#post-1276237
    in this area:
    Knee Replacement Recovery Area

No, BoneSmart is not at all like Facebook. You can't answer in the post that someone else has made.
    You need to go down to the bottom of the page and start typing in the box where it says "Write your reply".

I think you need to look at this section, which was written for newcomers and which has has lots of useful "How to . . . " articles:
    https://bonesmart.org/forum/view/how-to-use-this-forum.74/

This one might help:
    How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you
    and this one:
    How to use the quote feature