Spinal or General?

grandma10

Country
United States United States
I am having surgery on July the 1st. I am wondering if I should go with general Anethesia or do the Spinal for pain?

Hi. I am sure you will get good advice here.
I have had both. Neither are about post op pain.
With both anaesthetics you will not feel the surgery. With both anaesthetics your surgeon can add medication into your new joint to assist with pain management post surgery.
The difference for me was a faster recovery after surgery with a spinal anaesthetic and no post op siee throat, nausea or vomiting etc. I would do a spinal again for any surgery it was offered for but this is a personal decision for you and your surgeon. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

I would go for spinal any day over general. It took me days to recover from the general anaesthetic I had during my spinal surgery. Although I was very worried about having a spinal it was really a non-event. And recovery is MUCH easier. No groggy feeling or nausea.

I had spinal, but because I wouldn't shut up telling stories as they started preparing me in theatre, they gave me a VERY light general to keep me quiet. No problems at all with recovery, woke up bright as a button.

I requested general because I have low back issues and didn’t want any needle in my back and my anesthetist agreed without any argument.

If I woke up groggy, I don’t remember that part. I did have a patch for nausea that worked really well for me. I remember being fairly alert and having a good appetite.

I was honestly scared of the spinal. When I met with my anasthesiologist the morning of surgery, I said that I was scared of the needle going in my back, and asked if he could make it so I didn't know what was happening. They put SOMETHING in my IV before I went back to the OR, then I got to see the OR and say hi to my OS, but dang, if that wasn't the last thing I remember until I woke up in recovery!!! I had NO nausea, no problems waking up, ate as soon as I got in my room, and then went for a walk!!! I'll take one of those spinals ANY DAY!!!

Hello @Grandma - and :welome:

Please will you tell us the which knee is being replaced on July 1 and whether you are having a total knee replacement (TKR) or a partial (PKR), so we can make a signature for you? Thank you.:flwrysmile:

You won't feel any pain during the surgery, whether you have a spinal or a general anaesthetic.
Here is an article about different types of anaesthetics:
Anaesthetics - spinals, femoral blocks, GAs and everything else

And here is some more information, to help you prepare for your surgery:

Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

Regardless of where you are in the process, the website and app My Knee Guide can help you stay organized and informed. The free service keeps all the information pertaining to your surgery and recovery in one place on your smartphone. It is intended to be a personal support tool for the entire process.

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing knee recoveries

Definite "no!" on the spinals for me! I've tried twice and been converted to generals both times. No more needles near me spine. :bignono: I do not have any problems with grogginess or nausea after generals and I like knowing I am out!

~Cynthia

Well I go in tomorrow and will be asking for a general .. I gave lots never any problem ... will be posting on the other side very soon so will let you know how I get on :) :-) (:

Spinal for me, I to had a fear of the spinal, and told the Dr , she was so nice, said don’t worry, don’t remember a thing. I woke up clear headed, and chatty

I like the spinal I recovered much faster didn't get nauseous I may be going in for my other knee going to Doc. For xrays in July if so it will be a spinal.

I had my surgery today general with femoral block. Had surgery at 830 this morning and femoral is just starting to ware off. Still in hospital and staff consistently monitoring so my experience so far has been really good for that combination.

Someone from the anesthesiology department has to have contact with you before surgery, and again just before surgery. You can arrange to discuss the pros and cons with them.

It depends on which country as in the uk you only meet the anethetist just before you go into surgery. You tend only to meet with the surgeon and pre op assessment nurse before hand

I just did my pre op today and was seen by the Nurse Practitioner from the “gas group”
I will have general with a nerve block also with an order post surgery for anti nausea drugs.
The deal is if I can say the drug name....they give it to me. Phenergen.....

At the hospital where I had my surgery it was generally a spinal. I 'argued' with both the anesthesiologist and my OS while on the gurney headed for the OR. Everybody was trying to convince me otherwise. They'd give me earplugs, music etc. I said if I hear anything I would have PTSD. I said give me the spinal with propofol. They did not give me a spinal. Well they got another anesthesiologist and I was out and don't remember. I came to and I wasn't groggy just said 'what have I done?' I was very lucid and I am glad I went this way. I did not want anything in my back. Had my son naturally for same reason. But whatever you choose it will be the best for you.

At the hospital where I had my surgery it was generally a spinal. I 'argued' with both the anesthesiologist and my OS while on the gurney headed for the OR. Everybody was trying to convince me otherwise. They'd give me earplugs, music etc. I said if I hear anything I would have PTSD. I said give me the spinal with propofol. They did not give me a spinal. Well they got another anesthesiologist and I was out and don't remember. I came to and I wasn't groggy just said 'what have I done?' I was very lucid and I am glad I went this way. I did not want anything in my back. Had my son naturally for same reason. But whatever you choose it will be the best for you.

I had general anesthesia. Was in hospital 3 days. I did get sick from the mix of pain meds / anesthesia around 9:30 pm when I got out of bed to walk. But it’s up to you and your anesthesiologist what will work. My surgeon preferred her patients go the general route. That worked best for me.

I'm just discussing my second TKR in the UK.
Spinal is the norm, because it is far better in the recovery stage. First time around I wanted to stay awake and watch. As it turned out they gave me a good dose of happy juice (not a general) as I went into Theatre and I slept through the whole thing anyway.

So I had the best of both worlds, and woke up bright and breezy (and high!!) with absolutely no pain.

Talk to your anaesthetist when you meet him. He (or she) might already be planning to do the same.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back