THR Spinal block or general anaesthetic?

Sulliy

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi everyone my op date for my Hip replacement is the 30th December 2019 I was just wondering what experiences have people had ref spinal block or General anaesthetic not sure what to do about these options it would be nice to have some advice please thank you k

I wasn't given a choice, surgeon's preference for general. That works for me, I sure wouldn't have wanted to hear sawing or hammering.

I was given the choice, and the first time I was unsure. I had GA in the past and didn't know what a spinal was. I had heard good things about a spinal with sedation so I said "why not?". The second time I was all in for a spinal and sedation it's the best for me. I was sedated and never saw or heard anything. I awoke in recovery clear headed, hungry and thirsty and was given a soda and lunch as soon as I got to my room. I was in recovery and spoke to my wife on the phone as soon as I awoke and was never sleepy afterwards. I will say that the first time as your legs go numb it's and odd sensation. Then when you awake it's a short time before your legs come back to life and you can wiggle your toes.
I know if I went GA I would have had a breathing tube, with spinal no tube.
I don't want any more ortho surgeries but given the choice I'll take the spinal.

I agree with Eman85. Had THR on 11/22 and chose spinal with sedation. I awoke being taken back to my room clear headed very quickly and immediately ordered flat bread pizza with chocolate shake :) Any leg numbness was gone quickly.

I have had GA for all my joints including the last one. Never had issues with being foggy. In fact this time when I got to my room from recovery I got off the stretcher and went to the bathroom before getting into the recliner and was very alert. Late lunch was delivered and I enjoyed all of it immensely except for the cookies which I gave to my husband. I never had any nausea or fogginess with GA. That being said I went with what anesthesiologist recommended for me.

@Sulliy -I've moved your thread from the recovery area to the pre-op area, as your surgery isn't until later this month.

People who have had their surgery do come back to pre-op to offer advice about their experiences.

This article may give you some information about the different types of anaesthetics.
Anaesthetics - spinals, femoral blocks, GAs and everything else

Spinal and sedation - great pain relief on waking as the spinal takes a few hours to wear off completely.
‘Sedation’ knocked me out completely, but no after effects as there would have been with a general.

Last edited:
I wasn’t given the choice. They used spinal with sedation and it was great. I was a bit skeptical as I’d never had a spinal before but I was very happy with it. I didn’t feel nauseous after and felt very awake. It does take a short time before you get the feeling back in that leg but there is no pain. I feel anesthesiologists are the best ones to make that choice as they know much more about it than I do. Good luck with your surgery!

I too had spinal with sedation for my THR and I will never go back to GA if I have a choice. With GA in past surgeries I was sick, groggy and nauseated for days. Of course nowadays they have great anti-nausea drugs so that may not be a factor anymore. With the spinal and sedation I got a little nauseated as they were wheeling my gurney around corners this way and that on the way to my room after surgery. Then they squirted some Zofran into my IV and within 20 minutes I was feeling fully human again and begging for a grilled cheese sandwich.

I had spinal with sedation for both my hip replacements, and it was wonderful! I was scared of the idea of spinal anesthesia, but I woke up alert, and just texted friends, chatted with my family, and ate and drank while waiting for the numbness to wear off.

I have been wondering the same thing @Sulliy Hoping the spinal and sedation are an option for me. My surgeon doesn’t have a preference so it’s up to anesthesiologist. Really like to avoid GA if I can.

Best wishes to you.

I’ve had two knees done and getting hip replacement on 8th Jan. Had spinal both times with sedation, woke up in recovery bright and bushy tailes, no grogginess or nausea. Had tea and toast on ward and and soon as the spinal wore off in late afternoon the physios had me up with a Zimmer frame and taking a few small steps. The surgeons prefer you taking the spinal as you get mobile a lot quicker and you don’t run the risks associated with a general. Suffice to say I’ve opted for a spinal for my hip replacement. Good luck :)

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Forum statistics