Spinal Block/Hip Nerve Block??

ACIM

senior
Country
United States United States
I'm having a full hip revision on April 1st (one week from Monday).

My OS has told me no general anesthesia for me. Instead, I'm getting a spinal block and some kind of nerve block for the hip. Needless to say, I'm a little freaked as I've always had the general anesthesia in the past.

Who here has had just the spinal/hip nerve block? How did it go? Do you know what the reasoning is behind this type of general anesthesia?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Diana

Hello :wave:
I had both GA and Spinal. It worked well for me. I didn't suffer any ill effects, came around quickly, had an appetite, so no nausea of vomiting. A tad hazy upon awakening but it doesn't last long and I was off to the bathroom on my own and walking the hallway within hours of surgery. It's all I know, but it worked for me.
I'm sure others will stop by.
Not long to go now...I wish you the best and look forward to sharing in your recovery journey.
A great weekend to you!
@Newbie tkr

I had general with my first hip, spinal for 2ND and much prefer the spinal. (I didn't have a nerve block). Spinal doesn't have as many side effects (nausea, light headedness, etc). You'll still be asleep for the whole procedure but just feel so much better when you wake up!

@Newbie tkr I've moved you thread to the Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area.

It's very common to have a spinal anaesthetic with sedation nowadays. That's what most people have.
The benefits are you wake up feeling much better than after a general anaesthetic.

You won't be awake during the surgery.

This article gives lots of information:
Anaesthetics - spinals, femoral blocks, GAs and everything else

Thanks so very much, Kayla and Honeybeast- makes me feel much better!

Celle, I understand why you placed my thread into the pre-op forum but would have I gotten any feedback from those still waiting to have their own THR, without having gone through the anesthesia process?

I appreciate you pointing me towards an article on BONESMART specific to my desire for more information about the process.

I had multiple ortho surgeries in the past including 2 hip surgeries and they were all with general. I was given a choice for my THR and went with the spinal with sedation. Glad I did, much better than any GA I ever had. Awoke from the sedation perfectly clear headed and felt great.

Your post is better here in the pre-op forum. We have lots of members who come back to chat with pre-op patients once they have had their surgery. You should hear from a number of them.

I think you'll find the spinal an excellent option. As Celle said, it is more commonly used these days for all the reasons that people have pointed out.

Thanks all...I'm sold! I know my OS makes the final decision but all signs point to the spinal/hip nerve block...

It was really proactive of you to get this information from others who have had them, instead of worrying over it for the next few days. :SUNsmile:Good luck on your surgery!

@Newbie tkr A spinal with sedation is the way to go. No nausea or groggy feeling post op. If you are worried confirm with the anaesthetist that you don't want to see or hear anything during the procedure. They will put you into a nice, comfy sleep and watch you throughout the entire op.

Hi newbie.... had my thr on 20th... second spinal & once again was fabulous... when the anaesthetist said time for your G&T I said make it a double... I neither heard or felt anything & was wide awake & back in recovery within 90 minutes or so. No nausea or grogginess...
You will be glad you chose to have that....
BS is an invaluable aid to recovery & support after your surgery... so.. keep reading & posting any worries or concerns... we’ve all had them!! take care xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had 2 hips done and one knee and all with the spinal. It's great. No nausea afterwards and when they bring you round you are completely with it. I am sure you won't regret it.

I had my hip replaced with a spinal and sedation last week, it was amazing! Last thing I heard was 'you'll feel relaxed in about 5 minutes' next thing I knew I was in recovery and feeling no groggyness whatsoever! I even posted my recovery thread on here whilst sitting there as I got bored :heehee:

Went perfectly, it's the way to go! I was awake on the way out of surgery with zero sicknesses (that came the next day from the miprphin lol).

You guys are awesome! I feel so much better now about having the spinal vs. the GA.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
mtcwp
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom