THR Spinal Block & Breathing

skye_56

Country
United States United States
So reading a bunch of stuff comparing spinal block versus GA. I read in a number of places that your torso (including your diaphragm and lungs) can go numb. Has anyone had problems breathing? Is this common?

That's pretty scary stuff.

EDIT: I'm getting THR

Last edited:
@skye_56
For knees or hips they use a spinal into the lumbar area. You will be closely monitored by the anesthesiologist for any breathing difficulty. You may want to speak to the anesthesiologist with your questions, they will be able reassure you about the procedure.
Here is a link to information about the various forms of anesthesia that may be used for joint replacement.
Anaesthetics - spinals, femoral blocks, GAs and everything else

Last edited:
The spinal is given in the lower spine as Chris said above. I have had 2 spinals and no issues with breathing or numbness. A spinal is a much easier recovery - no groggy feeling or nausea.

I, too, had a spinal for my hip surgery. I had never had one before so was a bit skeptical but reading on here that most people having this same surgery had spinal with good results helped me. I felt I needed to rely on the anesthesiologist who knew best. The results were great. I woke up without that groggy feeling, no breathing issues and no nausea. The suggestion above that you speak to the anesthetist is the right way to go. They can explain things the best. I wish you well with the surgery.

So reading a bunch of stuff comparing spinal block versus GA. I read in a number of places that your torso (including your diaphragm and lungs) can go numb. Has anyone had problems breathing? Is this common?

That's pretty scary stuff.

EDIT: I'm getting THR

My neighbor had some issues with an epidural during hip surgery some years ago. They were all resolved by the anethesiologist. Of course there is a difference between a spinal and epidural. I hate to ask but were epidurals part of what you were comparing?

I'm another who had a spinal. Worked great, would do it again. I really liked that I wasn't sedated until after they knew the spinal had taken effect. This allowed me to survey the OR and talk clear headed to the surgical team. Once my lower legs were finally numb they clamped me into the table and started the propofol into the iv. Then I woke up being wheeled to recovery. I wasn't in recovery for very long and I was mostly clear headed while there, another plus.

I had spinal and the only loss of feeling was from my waist down. I was assured I would be closely monitored by the anesthesiologist.

You guys are great at keeping me calm. I always seem to run into the horror stories first!

Does it take long for the spinal to wear off?

A couple of hours - maybe 3 hours max. But you start to get feeling back in your legs earlier. They just don't want you to get up and walk around until you have all the feeling back in your legs and feet.

It didn't seem to take long. I didn't document the times. I never had a catheder and was getting up to relieve myself (with assistance) a few hours after surgery.

I awoke in recovery and my legs were numb. By the time they were ready to roll me to my room the feeling was back in my non op leg and coming back in my op leg. It wasn't long after that all of the feeling was back. Just a few hours later I was walking with a walker.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back