Spinal anesthetic question

Status
Not open for further replies.

rider1960

post-grad
I'm thinking @Josephine or @Orthodoc will know this, but anyone else please chime in.

What specific tests or actions do surgeons use to check to be sure spinal anesthetic is adequate before they begin cutting?

Patients are usually sedated by that time and can't respond to verbal questions, so I'm wondering what they do to make sure you are truly numb.

Thanks

Dorothy

I'm not sure medically speaking but since I was awake for some time after the spinal that I could feel the heaviness and loss of all sensation flowing through my lower body fairly quickly. I think I also could feel the disappearance of the effect after.

Oh we can tell! The legs visibly lose all tone and response - and there would be tone and response even if the patient was under general anaesthetic. Just the same as we can tell when a patient goes under in a GA. The face has a totally different expression and there is no tone in the muscles. You have to see it to know what I mean.

Hi there....I too wondered ( and worried) about that.....however, no need because they made absolutely sure I couldn't feel anything in my lower half before I was sedated....in this respect the spinal didn't work for my sister and they went to GA.....so please don't worry about that Dorothy...xxxx

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®

Thanks for the info. I was more curious than actually worried. I've been through it twice and it all worked fine. I LOVE spinal vs. general anesthesia. It's great for pain control after the surgery and it's great to wake up and be so alert.

Dorothy

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
007Knee
Recent bookmarks
Back