THR Spex10 in recovery

Hi @Spex10
Happy Saturday:kitty:
Your furbabies are adorable.

I believe I had "Stutter steps" upon rising and taking off for the first three or four months....
I suppose all tightens and stiffens while at rest.
All in all, you seem to be doing great.:tada:
Hope your weekend is Sweet!

@Spex10 They are gorgeous! Love the newspaper too - yup looks like they have found the "EasyLife" :heehee:

The stiffness in the morning and the soreness getting up from a low chair will go away eventually. I can't recall how long it took me to get past those things but I do remember that by about 6-7 months post op I was able to get onto the floor and back up without any pain or difficulty.

Gosh @djklaugh it's years since I was able to get down on the floor! I used to have to be in the 'special' corner at yoga! With two new knees and now a new hip I'm not planning to return to that class. However, I'm really looking forward to returning to Aquafit classes. The exercising in water and against the water resistance is great fun and really helps with my fitness and flexibility. No classes right now due to Covid. :sad:

Glad to read things are going well and you’re feeling stronger. You’re doing great!
The pic of your furry friends made me laugh as it looks like they’ve just finished studying easylife and are now practicing what they’ve learned.
Have a great Sunday!
@Spex10

@Spex10 I love your cats! We have a cat that we suspect is at least 1/2 Maine Coon..he has that abundant hair, too.

I've had a problem the past few days. Every time I stand up from my usual seats (Stressless recliners) I have acute pain in my hip. It's really painful. I noticed that standing up from sitting on quite a high bed I'm fine. I must be pulling or pinching something when standing from a lower chair.
Solution - I've dug out my special high firm cushion that I had for just after the op and all is well. Most odd.

Just a quick query. I've been so happy to be sleeping on my front these past few nights but I've just read that I absolutely should not be doing that as I'd be bound to twist my hip. My hips always feel absolutely flat to the mattress. I don't know what to think. What should I do?
@Spex10. not sure if you had anterior surgery, but I have been sleeping on my side with my surgery leg flat and straight but my other leg over a pillow between my legs. I’m not sure if this is rotation but there is no pain or a strange feeling. Also my surgeon said I had no precautions and can do anything I can tolerate. I specifically asked him if I could sleep on my surgery side and he said that was fine. I also specifically asked about external rotation and extension of the surgery leg behind me and was told that was completely fine. I was cleared to do yoga as well which has some rotation and extension. I had anterior surgery And 6-7 weeks post-op. I understood the rotation to be careful of is when you are standing with weight on you surgery side foot and turning to a different direction. I don’t know how we can go about life without some sort of rotation in our hip. it’s impossible.

Last edited:
I've had a problem the past few days. Every time I stand up from my usual seats (Stressless recliners) I have acute pain in my hip. It's really painful. I noticed that standing up from sitting on quite a high bed I'm fine. I must be pulling or pinching something when standing from a lower chair.
Solution - I've dug out my special high firm cushion that I had for just after the op and all is well. Most odd.
Ooohhhh, tell me more about your Stressless chair. I looked at them today. Of course the one I want is $4500.

I have loved my post op “keep your hip higher than your knee”cushions, that I still use them. My husband is now a fan because of his sciatica. Just another tool in the shed. BTW: love your new fur babies. They do make life fun and certainly more tolerable on bad days. ❤️

Yes indeed @Hip4life and @Starmarie the cats and our Stressless recliners really add to the quality of life.
I had a Mako op with posterior incision.

Am back in the room. Op all done and apparently went well. Legs still numb but feeling returning a bit. How to I transfer to the post op side of Bonesmart?
Well done on your Op - good luck with the early stages of your rehab

Glad to say my problems seem to have resolved at least a little. I was getting worried yesterday. I must have moved awkwardly and pulled or nipped something resulting in inflammation and pain. It's still a bit sore to get moving but I noticed I was completely pain free when pushing my shopping trolley round the supermarket today so my implant itself is fine.

It doesn’t seem to take much in these early weeks of healing to knock us off balance for a day here and there. Rest and ice normally gets you back to where you were pretty quickly. Good to read you’re feeling better.
A peaceful evening to you! :)
@Spex10

So good to hear things are feeling a bit better. There definitely will be many times during the next months where you will see the Ebb and Flow of recovery.:umm:
I became so tuned in to every twinge and hiccup and since so much time is spent "taking it easy" I felt like I was hypersensitive to every new sensation. What now?
About the three month mark, I became a little less anxious and more acclimated to the wave.:) :-) (:

Early days, dear @Spex10
Hope the rest of your week is sweet:flwrysmile:

I agree @Mojo333 there's something about having so much time to notice and overthink every twinge. I'm hoping my volunteer job starts back soon so I'll have something to occupy my mind with. Don't worry. Its quite manageable physically.

Update. I started my volunteer job and enjoyed it very much. A change to be thinking about other people's problems.
In other news I found a different way to get my step count up and exercise when it's too wet to go out. Don't laugh but it's dancing. Nothing fancy. Just put on the radio and move about to the music building in the various leg and foot movements that need exercised while moving the whole body to the music. Obviously this must never be seen by anybody else!! The cats look horrified but I get my steps up and mobilise my joints all the time staying out of the bad weather.

Also, I wonder how many of us use an indoor upright cycle, that is my next plan.

I haven't seen it mentioned that often, and the level you work too is infinitely adjustable as you progress.

We won’t laugh. Lots of benefits to dancing, a quick online search names a few -

Health Benefits of Dancing
Dancing provides aerobic and anaerobic exercise
Dancing Improves flexibility
Dancing Strengthens Upper and Lower Body
Dancing Kills Calories
Dancing Builds Stronger Bones
Dancing Improves Heart, Blood and Circulation
Dancing Promotes A Healthier Mind

Turn the music on and enjoy! We’ll join you -> :happyfeet::chuckmarch::froggies::happydance::egypdance:
:wink:

Oh yes! Dance @Spex10, for sure! I especially dance while cleaning my house... isn't it great for your mood,also?

Don't laugh but my friends nicknamed me "DQ" long ago- for Dancing Queen.. :chuckmarch:

Isn't it marvelous to rejoin fun activities and to feel less pain?

Good for you for your volunteer work.. life is good!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Celle
    MODERATOR EMERITIUS
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015