THR Spex10 in recovery

OP
OP
Spex10

Spex10

post-grad
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I wasn't disappointed re physio. I should have said the 8 week follow up phone call was to be from the surgeon!

OP
OP
Spex10

Spex10

post-grad
Country
Day 5. I can't complain about lack of sleep. I'm up twice in the night but fall back off to sleep quite quickly. 7hrs and 6mins last night. My Fitbit helps here!
I'm still using my sticks together like a walker but I find I can stand by myself briefly eg at the sink with no pain at all. Pain when moving only.
Every little thing seems to take ages as it all has to be planned in advance then carried out one stage at a time. Just minor stuff too. I slump back in my chair to recover from the apparently huge logistical task of getting dressed!
Oh well. Onwards. Greeting to all hippies.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
Only day 5 @Spex10 ! At least you are getting some sleep - that's great. Your body is putting all its energy into healing. Slow and steady does it.

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
United States United States
Yep....I sure do remember how exhausting Activities of Daily Living and short walks were.:unsure:
Good thing about that, as Jaycey mentioned, is then we are forced to do what we need to, REST.

All Temporary, friend, and that energy is being directed toward healing.

Hope your Sunday is Sweet :SUNsmile:

OP
OP
Spex10

Spex10

post-grad
Country
Another day another moan. I'm experiencing sudden episodes of sweating. Immediately post op when my BP dropped and I almost fainted a few times this was accompanied by these sweats. Now I don't have the faint episodes (for which I'm grateful) I still have these occasional sweats. Is this still a reaction to drugs given during the op?

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
I had sweats post LTHR. I assumed it was the medication I was taking. Early days!

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Country
Found some interesting info in a quick search online. I believe your hunch and Jaycey’s assumption are spot on -

Pain Relievers - Several different types of prescriptions and OTC pain relievers can cause sweating. That includes Aspirin and NSAIDs as a possible source.
Why? These medications cause blood vessels to dilate so heat is lost through the skin, and this same mechanism may lead to sweating.

Opioids - are a well known cause of excessive sweating.
Opioids stimulate a type of immune cell known as mast cells that release histamine, the same chemical involved in inflammation, and that in turn leads to sweating.

Hopefully sipping on some water which is important for hydration and using some ice when you‘re experiencing one of these episodes will make it more tolerable. :fingersx:

May today be a good one!
@Spex10

OP
OP
Spex10

Spex10

post-grad
Country
Thanks @Layla . I'm not taking any Opioids just Paracetamol which I think you know as Acetaminophen. I didn't have Oxycodone/contin in hospital either. I was given Morphine Sulphate. However, I do remember that the nurses seemed very used to patients like me and I'd often wake from an episode to find one fanning me.
Maybe these sweats at home are some sort of idiosyncratic response to my situation? I do remember being hit by a sudden wave of heat at the same time as nearly fainting when being told some very bad news.
Sounds like I'm a delicate flower fainting all the time?! I'm not. That time was almost 30 years ago.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Country
Sounds like I'm a delicate flower fainting all the time?! I'm not.
Sorry, this made me chuckle. You’re funny.

The drugs may still be in your system and can raise your body temperature and your body will try to cool through sweating. Staying adequately hydrated may help your body cleanse more quickly providing relief. Drink, drink, drink, then you’ll wee, wee, wee and get lots of exercise getting to the bathroom. :wink:

OP
OP
Spex10

Spex10

post-grad
Country
Will do. Am currently glugging down my fourth cup of Earl Grey.

OP
OP
Spex10

Spex10

post-grad
Country
Day 9. Not sleeping as well somehow. Am up in the night a couple of times but was lucky enough to fall back asleep a bit better last night.
Am more mobile. At times I use both sticks in one hand to enable me to carry a plate or cup. I make very slow processions around the house always being careful of each pace.
Life seems all about advance planning of tiny details at present but that's OK. It's not a race against time. Dressings off tomorrow yikes!

cannygirl

Country
Hello there,
Following your progress. The sweats sound a nuisance - not something I experienced but faints - I did! Are you ‘sleeping’ in bed now or are you sitting up? I was still in a chair for weeks.
At times I use both sticks in one hand to enable me to carry a plate or cup. I make very slow processions around the house always being careful of each pace.
It is amazing how much you can do albeit very slowly. All the very best with your recovery ❤

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Country
Life seems all about advance planning of tiny details at present but that's OK.
So true! You get up to go to the bathroom and intend to grab “this” and “that” and finally sit down to realize you forgot “that”:gaah: You seem to be doing well and have a healthy attitude about it all, taking your time…in no hurry. Atta girl! :yes!:
Have a great Thursday!

OP
OP
Spex10

Spex10

post-grad
Country
@cannygirl I'm sleeping in my own bed. I have to get completely flat apparently to let the joint extend fully. Fine by me. It was a struggle to get in and out at first but I've developed a technique.

Quinnie-78

Country
Well done on your recovery so far, I wasn’t allowed in the shower for two weeks when I got the staples out. My main problem was sleeping on my back, I’ve gone to side sleeping with pillows between my legs. I was like you low BP and fainting I was in hospital for 5 days because it really slowed down my progress. The hip pain is easing now it’s just muscle and tendon pain I have I think :0/
I’m 42 and they said it’s worse the younger you are cos the muscle is stronger. Really wish they’d advised me to strengthen my upper body before the op though! My shoulders and wrists were killing me lol x

OP
OP
Spex10

Spex10

post-grad
Country
I agree about arms and wrists. I wish I had better upper body strength! Not wishing to show off but I've had two showers so far and another planned for tomorrow when the dressings come off. I'm finding the 'Drench' body wipes very useful.
I'd like to sleep on my side but I don't quite know how. The physios were supposed to show me all the various necessary things but obviously missed that out. I sleep in bursts of about 3 hours. That's a long term pattern. If I get up to the loo I go straight back to sleep but it's not quite such an easy process these days. I actually find getting into and out of bed the most difficult set of movements I have to do.
Still, onwards!

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Country
I'd like to sleep on my side but I don't quite know how. The physios were supposed to show me all the various necessary things but obviously missed that out.
Here is an article from the BoneSmart Library that you may find helpful -

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Yes, the getting in and out of the bed was the struggle for me also. :nah:It will get easier, friend.

OP
OP
Spex10

Spex10

post-grad
Country
Thanks @Layla . Looks like it's too early days yet for me. Will keep on my back.
It's hot here so I have my duvet rolled up next to me to prevent me accidentally rolling over.
In brighter news, both my grown up children and a grandson are coming tomorrow to spend the day with me as OH has to work. It's almost worth having the hip replacement just for that. I'm so looking forward to it!

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Country
You’re welcome!

Aww, I sense your delight in anticipating the time you’ll spend with your adult children and grandson tomorrow. I hope you have a wonderful visit and create some beautiful memories to reflect upon anytime you wish to. Enjoy!
@Spex10

Top Bottom