BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
Dismiss Notice

Shopping on Amazon Prime Day July 15-16?

Make purchases through smile.amazon and Amazon will donate a portion of your purchase amount to BoneSmart!

Sign up at Smile.amazon.com and indicate our parent organization, The Foundation for the Advancement in Research in Medicine, Inc. All of the donation funds received from Amazon purchases are transferred to BoneSmart to help keep us up and running.

special equipment at home

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by team roper, Jun 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. team roper

team roper new member

When I go home after surgery will I need any special equipment such as hospital bed?

2. MarilynKay

MarilynKay junior member

Dear Team Roper,

No, your own bed will do fine. I found that I needed three things when I was on my own. They were my walker with a seat and basket, a device to help put on my socks (along with slip on shoes) and a device to pick up items off the floor. You can buy these at any good pharmacy. The PT people in the hospital will show you how to move your leg to build strength and how to get out of bed. Some people prefer crutches, but I liked the walker. I even took my dog for some walks after a couple of weeks. I was on the walker for 3 weeks and then a cane for another few weeks.
    The hardest problem was following the weight restrictions since I felt so good.
    Are you a calf roper? I found riding a horse the one way I could get my hips to relax for a while before my surgery. Painful getting on, but great at the end of the hour. I had the two incision MIS surgery with a metal/highly linked poly... liner. Two years later it is working very well for me. Good luck!
    Marilyn

3. cbmorg

cbmorg new member

I'm now almost 3 weeks post-surgery. Based on my experience, here are a couple of other things you may need....

1. A bath bench or seat. Even if you have a walk-in shower (as we do), it is difficult to stand up for an entire shower at first. In order to wash your feet or lower legs, the bench or seat is very helpful. Also, a long handled sponge is very useful.

2. A cane, for when you are ready to transition from the walker. I borrowed a quad (four-footed) cane and had a regular cane. I thought the quad cane would give me a better feeling of balance, but actually it doesn't. I'm using the regular cane. My physical therapist says she finds it's an individual preference as to which type of cane to use.

3. A raised toilet seat, preferably with a frame that you can use to support yourself as you are standing up and sitting down.

4. Make sure you have a very comfortable chair for lounging. You probably aren't going to want to spend all of your time in bed. The most important thing...The chair must be one that you can get into and out of while observing your hip precautions. Test it out before the surgery! While I have heard some say that recliners are not good, I am using a recliner--my physical therapist suggested this. In fact, I sleep in the recliner for most of the night (since my surgeon says I can't sleep on my side until at least 6 weeks after the surgery).

BTW, in our area, there are several organizations that lend most of this type of equipment. (They like a donation when you return the equipment, of course...) Since it is for short term use, this makes more sense to me than buying it. You might want to check with the hospital social services dept. if you are interested in finding a lending place.

4. MarilynKay

MarilynKay junior member

Hi CBMorg,
    I hope that all is going well with you. Thanks for the additions. I had all of the above except for the recliner. I would agree with all of your reccommendations. I in particular liked my raised seat on my toilet. I had the arms. I'm not sure that I could have stayed by myself with out it.
    I hope that you have a wonderful recovery. Keep us informed of how you are doing!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.