BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

Sparkly's new hip

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Sparkly, May 21, 2019.

1. Sparkly

Sparkly junior member

United States United States
    Hi all, I am having my right hip replacement on July 22nd. Almost 9 weeks away, and I am asking how you all cope?

Sorry this is so long but I’ve so many questions.

Would love to hear from others so I know I’m not just being a wimp. I’ve been waiting 3 months already and am deteriorating so much now I’m afraid to leave the house. I had been on 1000 mg Tylenol and 2 Aleve twice a day. But now can’t take Aleve. I have Tramadol which takes the edge off and helps me sleep. But don’t want to take too many.

I had been exercising in a pool but can’t do that anymore as my hip now locks up and I can’t put my leg to the floor when it happens. I’m afraid it will happen when I’m out and I’ll fall. I am so stiff so uncomfortable and pretty much housebound reclined on my bed or outdoor soda. It’s so depressing. Thanks for reading

2. Elf1

Elf1 graduate

@Sparkly :wave:Welcome to Bone Smart, boy have you come to the right place! Before too long one of the mods or admins will come on and give you links to all kinds of great information that you'll find very useful. If you have any questions, please ask, there is always someone here or will be here shortly that can usually answer them.

There is information about taking the Tylenol with the Tramadol to help but seems at this point pre-op there isn't a lot that seems to work. Even if you can take the edge off a little that helps. I understand the hip locking up, have that happen a lot. I have started using a cane to help me get around a little better, it helps take some of the pressure off of my right hip (like you) and gives me a little more stability when moving around, especially outside the house.

So now, just kind of look around the Pre-Op Threads and even check out the Post-Op Threads, will give you some good ideas as to what you're going to go through. Just remember, we are all unique individuals so no two procedures or recoveries are ever the same. This is a marathon, not a sprint. Hang in there!
    :flwrysmile:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Sparkly

Sparkly junior member

:)Thank you. I will.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Bionic

Bionic post-grad

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @Sparkly
    Pre op the pain in my hip was so bad and the operation date was 3 months ahead. I wondered how I would cope. I couldn't find any medication that would help and as things got worse my world got smaller. I was only able to walk a few paces. Somehow you get through the waiting me day at a time. I spent a lot of time preparing for the event. From choosing clothes that were easy to get on and off, to looking at toilet risers and grabbers.
    One minute it was 3 months away, then 2, then suddenly it was the final week.
    You will get there.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Sparkly, I can promise you that far from being long, your post was pretty much on the short side!
    There is one immutable fact about arthritic joints, nothing in the way of pain meds helps at all! It just doesn't. So allow yourself to spend your day reclining and lessen your pain that way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. CPH

CPH member

Welcome to the wait club! In 42 hours my wait will have ended and just in time because my pain level was hovering at a 6-7 for the last couple of months, and for the past week it’s settled into a solid 9 and sometimes 10. I hate to walk...even to the bathroom, but of course I suck it up and get myself there. I think for some of us our hips Have a way of preparing us to overcome any fears we may have so we can just get the pain over with. The next pain I experience should get progressively better instead of progressively worse. Hang in there the wait time will pass quickly in spite of the pain.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Sparkly

Sparkly junior member

Best of luck :thankyou:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Ptarmigan

Ptarmigan senior

Dear Sparkly,

I am so so so sorry you are living this way. Chronic hip pain wears you down in every way, and limits your enjoyment from whatever that is wonderful about your life. It’s no good, very bad, wouldn’t wish on anyone pain.

(Well, maybe one or two someones, but that would be naughty, so I will stop.)

We’re here with the hope that hip replacement surgery is the relief we need. And we’re counting on our been-there-done-that hippy friends to keep reassuring us the surgery will work, because we need reminding there’s light at the end of this tunnel.

Rest is your best friend. The mental game is key to managing any chronic injury/illness and it’s hard to have any mental game if you’re terribly sleep deprived. I turned a corner once I stopped trying to cope without sleep and prioritized getting enough sleep and/or rest to cope. Rest helped my pain more than any medication did.

Wishing you plentiful peaceful rest -
    Ptarmigan

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    Last edited: May 21, 2019
  9. Sparkly

Sparkly junior member

Thank you, it’s great to hear from others and that im not losing my mind. I’m trying really hard to just let go and do nothing.:ice:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hi, Welcome to BoneSmart. Thanks for joining us. I believe you'll find comfort through the support and encouragement offered here. You're in good company as most of us understand your pain, fears and anxiety. Stop by often and ask anything you'd like. We'll try our best to help in any way we're able.

Below you will find some articles of interest as you wait out these final weeks before surgery.
    Wishing you comfort and a peaceful rest of the week.

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:
    Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic hip?
    Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
    Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
    Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery

Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
    Stories of amazing hip recoveries
    @Sparkly

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  11. leejaa

leejaa post-grad

After a year of trying to figure out what was wrong, I then had to wait 5m for my surgery since my OS is so busy and books up. He did my knees so trust was huge for me and so I was willing to wait. One day at a time is what got me there but it was hard especially as your world gets smaller due to pain with movement. This time it is a 6m wait since although I have all the symptoms and pain, they have to prove there was conservative treatment attempted so had to have a hip injection and my OS protocol is to wait 6m after injection (well I am scheduled (11/13/19) so I fell better and otherwise it would be 5m anyways). The injection is not really helping - sometimes 20-50% better than pre injection but I know there is a light at the end of the tunnel since I have my surgery date. Again, doing the one day at a time.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. julesglass

julesglass graduate

Hello @Sparkly, I like those shades you're wearing. My date is July 10th. That's when lefty gets out of here! I say dittos to what others say. One thing you and I have going for us is the weather. Flip flops, loose airy clothes :yes!:. I've got some games on my phone I can play, got an adult coloring books and some books to read. I use my cane around the house when lefty is screaming. We here at bone smart are pulling for you, we're all in this together.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. julesglass

julesglass graduate

I forgot something... I take tramadol also. I take it in the morning before I go to work. I'll take another in the afternoon if I need it. It does take the edge off. If I've got to get out on the weekends I take my cane, it helps with getting into stores. If I don't need to do anything, I don't.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. 321Evie

321Evie junior member

Australia Australia
    Has your doctor suggested a cortisone injection? When my pain is really bad I rest and ice it. I take an oesteo paracetamol as well as Advil.

Hang in there!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

:wave:Welcome to BoneSmart!
    So sorry that you are at the end of your rope with that bad hip...been there, done that...got hips replaced...back to life:yes!:
    Nothing helps too much at this stage...I used heating pad alot on mine.
    In hindsight, it was probably more soothing than pain relieving.:sigh:

This would likely delay surgery if it even helps.

• Like Like x 3
  16. GrannyC

GrannyC post-grad

I think others have given you some great advice already. I’m wondering if icing might help with the pain. Also a cane helps a lot. I used one often just before my surgery. I will point out though that I was using my cane incorrectly:gaah: You are supposed to out the cane in the hand opposite the bad hip. For you and me, that means cane in left hand because it is right hip bothering. You probably already know this but I didn’t until after my surgery. Still it helped though.

You need to think of some “quiet” activities to occupy your time from now until surgery and then as you recover because it will be a few weeks before you can do very much. You can read books, do puzzles, play online games, knit, crochet, sew, call old friends to chat or invite them over (if they bring the coffee/tea) if they live nearby, adult color books, draw/paint, etc, etc. it all depends on your interests.

Your surgery date will come quicker than you realize so keep positive and stay on BoneSmart. It is the BEST for info and support!

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. 321Evie

321Evie junior member

Australia Australia
    @Mojo333 I had no idea a cortisone shot would delay surgery. Thanks!

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

:)
    My surgeon said a cortisone shot would not help my endstage OA.
    I've heard from many BS members that surgery can not be done for at least 3 months after.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Sparkly

Sparkly junior member

Having a cortisone shot will delay surgery 3 months, there is a higher risk of infection is what they told me. When I had mine.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. leejaa

leejaa post-grad

Usually 3m, however my extra careful OS has a rule of 6m but he has great results.

• Friendly Friendly x 1