THR Spangles' Recovery Thread

Hi spangles just read through your thread and so sorry for all you are going through. I am 5 and a half months into recovery and feel I am doing well, getting out and about with very little discomfort unless I overdo things which eases when I step back and remind myself that I still have a way to go. I also live in the UK ( Scotland ) and had my 6 week Appt with my os cancelled due go covid which I am waiting to be rescheduled. Great advice you are getting from fellow hippies. I also took and still do great comfort from similar advice and reassurance from them The people here are so knowledgeable and generous with their support. You will get there and as many will tell you it all takes time and patience, which isn't easy when you are so keen to get back to normal life.Being someone who has always enjoyed an active life I can relate to that. I look forward to following your journey. Take care and wishing you all the very best.

Thank you @catlover55 and it’s good to hear that you’re doing well 5.5 months after your operation. Yes, agreed the advice given here is excellent, and I know it makes sense to follow it.
Just went for a 2 mile walk with my crutch and one of my children. It feels a bit like Groundhog Day! However, good to get out in the ☀️even though I’m now completely exhausted!

@Spangles is does get better, you'll put some weight back on once you're feeling better and you'll look more relaxed. I had lost some weight prior to surgery, actually a good thing, because I hurt so bad I didn't really want to eat or do anything. Lost a little more after surgery as I didn't have much of an appetite but that didn't last too long. Stopped in to where I used to work when I was about 2.5 months into recovery. One of the guys I worked with said you're standing taller and you look 10 years younger. He was amazed at the transformation from when he saw me right before the surgery. Amazing how pain or lack of pain can affect us.

I’m sorry I didn’t catch you before nightfall and bedtime in the UK.
It was a special day yesterday. Happy One Month Anniversary! :yay:
I hope you had a good sleep last night and your weekend is all you want it to be! :)
@Spangles

Hi @Spangles
All temporary became my mantra.
I too, lost weight after surgery...about 15 lbs over 3 months. Appetite was definitely off and the first place my weight loss showed is in my face, so my mother and sister, well-meaning of course, told me often that I looked gaunt and tired.
This IS a major surgery and your body saps up lots of energy to get the healing done.
I had both hips replaced at age 53 and I could not be happier at how much "younger", stronger, and healthier I am now.
I got pretty bummed...post op blues for the second month...I think it was the restrictions, the walking devices and toilet riser made me feel old and infirmed.
All temporary...and all good now!
Keep the faith, hippy pal.:flwrysmile:

This IS a major surgery and your body saps up lots of energy
Appetite was definitely off and the first place my weight loss showed is in my face, so my mother and sister, well-meaning of course, told me often that I looked gaunt and tired.
This IS a major surgery and your body saps up lots of energy to get the healing done.
Thanks @Mojo333 you are right about the body sapping up lots of energy. I’ve never felt so tired in my life. Much harder than having babies IMO!

I had lost interest in everything the lost few days and was feeling depressed & fed up. I feel a bit better today as my husband has been talking me out for nice walks in the sunshine.
Thanks for your positive message.

I have a question about rehab exercises!
I have physio exercises and also some on a phone app (it’s an American one) which are pretty similar. I’ve seen on here that the exercises are frowned upon a bit! I have been religiously doing mine twice daily and as stated earlier in my thread have not been on pain medication since day 5 since I prefer to ‘listen to my body’ & not mask anything unless the pain was terrible, and in truth I have not really been in pain; discomfort but not pain.
I don’t feel pain doing these physio exercises so are they ok to do? I am a bit worried as I saw on here that some people think they’re not worth doing and can even cause stress to the healing tissue. If I’ve no pain am I ok doing them?

Hi Spangles, In my opinion, at over one month post op, continuing exercises you’ve been doing with no ill effect for weeks, and admittedly allowing your body to be your guide, I don’t see any reason to modify now. Consider easing slowly into any new exercises or activity and enjoy. You’re doing great and I’m assuming you’re feeling better emotionally which is a good thing. I’m happy for you!
Have a wonderful week!
@Spangles

Thank you @Layla the exercises became slightly more challenging last week but not much. I will continue with them then. Emotionally I’ve not been great but feeling better today. Thank you so much.

It will get better emotionally, truly.
Also, please know that it will take time, but the day will come when your hip is no longer in the forefront of your mind.
Wishing you peace.
@Spangles

Hi @Layla that is *so* kind! Happy weekend to you too. I can’t tell you how much this forum has made me feel better. I also had a very positive hospital appointment with my surgeon and the lead physiotherapist today.
They said I only have myself to gauge my progress against and they see many people are still on crutches & sticks 5 weeks post op and they think I’m walking beautifully without any aids. I’m so pleased. They tested my ROM and said it’s not far back to normal. I couldn’t believe it. They, along with what people here have said, made me really see light at the end of the tunnel. I feel so much more optimistic!

I’ve also been told I can go on a Spin bike, treadmill and use gym equipment low impact, gently and sensibly. They also said I could swim as they recognised how regular exercise will help my mindset.
Regards to work, they felt I’d be ok if I wanted to go back part time at 8 weeks and full time at 12 weeks - cutting it down if it felt too much. Again, I will mull over this.
The best thing for me was seeing my pre-op xray and another doctor who didn’t know me popped in and said it definitely, definitely needed doing. I also saw the xray with the prosthesis in which was interesting!

*I’ve cut back on the long walks &cut down the physio exercises by the way and hip feels better.

Have a great weekend!

Thanks!
What a lovely update! I sense your optimism and I’m happy you’re feeling more confident in your recovery. I found reassurance from the surgeon and other medical professionals a great mood booster also. It’s encouraging to hear you’re doing well, or surpassing expectations. It really does get better and with months of internal healing still to happen your strength and stamina will continue to improve which will chase away the blues. I have a big hunch you’re on your way! :happydance:
@Spangles

:wave:
It really is quite a journey...and somewhat of a dance keeping things between the lines.
But I have never regretted this surgery and the new lease it has given me on a full active life.
Early days, still, my hippy pal.

You've got this

Hello Spangles,
Hope you’re doing well and continue to enjoy progress.
Leave us an update as time allows. We’d love to hear from you.
Enjoy the rest of the week! :)
@Spangles

Hello there :hi:
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
Hoping all is well with you. I’m guessing you’re feeling stronger week by week and beginning to once again enjoy the things you love. All the best to you!
@Spangles

Hi @Layla - thanks for your message. I hope you're well. I'm feeling so much better thanks. I'm back at work on a phased return and also Spinning at the gym, and walking amazingly well. I am so glad I had this done. I really feel like myself mentally. I am also happy with my looks after looking gaunt and old! The online support on this forum has been brilliant. Thank you.

Awesome progress! You’re doing great. It’s wonderful to get to the point when you can say you’re happy you had the surgery. May it only get better! :)
Have a beautiful Autumn!
@Spangles

Wonderful report. Nothing like getting back to the things we enjoy and living our lives without pain. :flwrysmile:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JennyG42
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom