TKR SpaceGirls Road to Recovery Knee #2

@SpaceGirl I'd spend as much time as possible for a few days icing and elevating, along with short walks around your house regularly. After a few days, reevaluate your swelling and pain and see if it's helped. I suspect it will as icing and elevating help alleviate swelling and the pain that swelling brings. You're still in the very early days and your knee is very unhappy with all it's gone through. Give it a little time to get over the initial trauma and shock by taking care and babying it some. Don't become a couch potato though, you still need to walk around and move it; just don't do any extra or excessive exercise or activity for a few days. If it's feeling better after that, very gradually add in some of the activities as posted in your recovery articles, specifically the "activity progression" article.

I doubt that anything has gone wrong, your knee is just traumatized by the surgery and needs some time to heal. Keep walking to move your new knee, and all your other leg and body parts, but don't do any excessive exercises or activities for a bit.

@SpaceGirl Not sure if you like it, but Pineapple juice has been suggested to be a natural anti-inflammatory. FYI I have kept myself going the months leading up to my replacement by using natural pain killers and anti-inflammatory medications. I could tell they were making a difference when I had to stop taking them before surgery. Just a thought. Sending you energy!!!
Rick

Oh friend, I’m sorry to hear this! I don’t think I was in much different shape at your point... the first three weeks are a dark dark space. I KNOW you will turn a corner soon. Just try to hang in there- and sleep through as much of it as you can!

@SpaceGirl ... I worried so much during the first month or so after my surgery; sure that I wasn’t making enough progress and so discouraged by the aches, swelling, difficulty sleeping, and overall limitations. I thought that perhaps I’d made a terrible mistake. I like being in control and it was hard to accept that my knee was the boss (I apologize if I’ve already written these same things to you in an earlier reply). I think you’re in the most difficult time now, when the surgery is over but the reality of a long recovery is sinking in. But each day, you’re getting stronger in some way (often undetectable, but healing IS happening), and we are all cheering for you! Reach out anytime you need encouragement. This wonderful community is here for you!

@lovetocookandsew I truly have been laying around, icing, elevating, staying on top of meds. I have only done heel pumps and short walks around the house the last couple of days and still hurt like the dickens. I know I should not compare my two knee surgeries but man it is hard when the first one went so “well” compared to this time.

@Rick951 I do love pineapple and was drinking some pineapple mix juices last week but I had some canker sores pop up and has to stop lol I will see if hubby will buy me some fresh pineapple to eat as well.

@JennyLynne thanks, I am really sleeping a lot, which I know is important, but dang it I am tired of sleeping Logically I know it will get better but it is hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel right now.

@Wolvesfan thanks, it is definitely hard when you are in the midst of pain every day to see the bright outcome. I know it will happen, just hate the feeling of helplessness.

————————————————————

Today marks 2 weeks post op. Hard to believe since I don’t feel I have made a ton of progress. It has been a week since I had pt, so they are coming this afternoon. I have 3 more home visits left. I have my post op appt on Monday with OS, hoping to get all these 40ish staples out! I am not looking forward to getting in the van, since my knee does not want to bend. I am sure that will be fun.....NOT

I ran out of my oxy on Monday but thankfully they called me in another 60 pills. I am still taking a muscle relaxer, though I am not sure it is helping much, or the pain meds, since they tend to make me sleep after taking lol. I assume after these last 3 home pt visits I will switch to outpatient pt, but I may wait a week before going to give myself a little more recovery time at home. I plan to use the same place as last time, so I know what to expect and they are good about listening to me when I say stop that hurts.

Thanks for listening to me whine/vent, I know we all have been there and it helps to have someone to commiserate with.

E4F141D6-E939-4FE1-8F25-E15F76FDF4C5.jpeg

My bruising is starting to look a bit better but it is still very tender!

I also forgot to add that I ordered an ice machine last night. These ice packs I have are just not cutting it this time around. Will be here in a few days. My husband is also getting my lounge dr from storage. I did not use much last time but maybe it will help this time around.

Last edited:
I have been doing heel pumps, quad sets and heel slides (when I can tolerate the pain)
Don’t worry about the heel slides right now, “when you can tolerate the pain” is not the way to go. Anything that causes that much pain can wait. I’m sure just walking to the bathroom causes enough pain (you do have to tolerate that, so don’t add things that can wait.)

Just be gentle and patient and things will improve. :console2:

Crazy how different of a recovery you can have on each leg. I didn’t take my Lounge Doctor out of storage this time, lol! That bruising really is something, but it looks better!

Sleep sleep sleep! Think of all those naps you always wished you could take and take them NOW!

Last edited by a moderator:
@Jockette thanks, I took off several days from everything except heel pumps and walking around. Pain did subside some, but of course its still there.

@JennyLynne girl yes, so much sleep! I tried the Lounge Doctor a few times, I am able to tolerate it better this time, which I find funny lol since this knee is worse as far as recovery goes.

@Rick951 yes sir! I am doing a bit better day by day. Still in pain of course but am babying my knee as much as possible!

——————————————————

16 days post op, just had my last home pt appt, I was discharged and can start going to out patient next week. I think I will wait til mid week to call and set appt to give myself a few more days to rest and encourage my thigh to wake up and work lol.

PT today did work on that and surprisingly after he left I was able to get my leg up on the bed by myself! My hubby came in and was like what the heck???!!!! Hahhaa! I said I thought I would try and see what happened lol it was not pretty or graceful and it barely got up ha. On the other hand I still can’t just lift it, but its getting better.

I will take every little step better I can. He encouraged me to walk, walk, walk, best thing I can do to get better. So I plan to get up at least once an hour and walk a lap around the house. I def walked more last recovery, so my goal is that for now!

Not much else to report, will check in again soon!

Last edited by a moderator:
@SpaceGirl Glad to hear your recovery is now on the proper trajectory. :) I think it is a good decision to take a few days off PT. let your new baby knee heal, just walk. being able to get back on the bed will be a big help!
Rick

Seems to be a lot of people from NC. Do we want to meet for lunch at an outdoor restaurant?
I’m in the Asheville area. Almost nine weeks since surgery. Today is a bad day. I have had some great days....but I paid for them later.

Space Girl.....hang in there. But tell me what is a lounge doctor?

Go quad go!! Once it starts waking, You are 90% of the way there!

This is such a good report, I can tell you are feeling better!

I had my 2 week follow up appt this morning, my xrays looked good and they took all 42 staples out and finally can take a real shower. Well when I can finally stand up long enough to do so!

So getting into the van was not as bad as I thought it would be. While my flexion still sucks, I was able to bend enough to get in without extreme pain!I will say going to the dr wore me out!

Off to ice and rest, check in soon!

Oh man does it feel good to get those staples out... and a shower, even better! Congrats on the appointment and the successful car rides!!

Glad everything looks correct on X-rays. That must be a big relief. I have not had staples on either of my knees. I bet that must feel great to have them out! Steps in the right direction!!!!

@JennyLynne yes! It feels so different to have them out. Makes it easier to bend, but still stiff of course.

@Rick951 thanks me too! I was worried since I haven’t been able to move it by itself etc. I wish they would have done stitches lol the staples are a pain to get out when they are scabbed over.

:yay: 3 weeks post op! :yay:

Time is going by fairly fast, today marks 3 weeks post op! I am still amazed how different this recovery has been compared to my right knee. ‍What they say: each knee is different: Is a true statement.

So lets see, pain is still hanging in there, most days just sitting is about a 3, start moving around it hits about 6, so there is improvement. I am still taking all meds around the clock as required. I am getting around a bit better each day. Sleeping is ok, but my body cycle is terrible right now, going to bed around 2, sleep til 11 am, then I try to nap all day. So now I am trying to stay awake more day time and sleep more at night. Its a work in progress lol

So my quad has shown some improvement, still not 100% but better than before. I was able to get it lifted onto the bed twice now by myself! I keep trying each time but it does not always want to work or the pain is extreme. I continue to use the tens unit to stim those muscles.

I think that is about it for an update for now. If I think of something else I will post again.

In my opinion, 3 weeks is the first real milestone... you start to think there may be a light at the end of the tunnel!

Im glad you are starting to feel better. Any improvement, however small, is progress!!!!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562