Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

TKR SpaceGirl's Back! Pre-Op Thread- Round 2/Knee 2

SpaceGirl

Country
United States United States
Hello BoneSmarties!

Long time no talk, I can't believe its been nearly 2 years since my last post here :yikes: and I hate that but gosh life has been busy! Let's do a real quick catch up, my oldest girl is a sophomore at South Alabama but is transferring in the fall to an online school as a Junior and has relocated to Memphis TN for a job. My middle will be a sophomore in high school in the fall and youngest will be in 5th grade. We've had a lot of school activities canceled due to covid19 and my job (as a school spec ed aide) also layed off, and hubby has been working at home since mid-march. Oh I also decided to go back to school this past fall (online) so I am working on my BS in Elem Ed. Almost done with first year! So on to my knee!

My job as a sped aide, requires a lot of walking and such, and sometimes stairs. My left knee has been fine until the last 5 months or so. I started working upstairs at school in mid Oct and after the first week, it started swelling and I could barely bend it. So then it became elevator use all the time and in Jan I was moved back downstairs (yay!). I went to my doctor about my knee (probably November) and of course the only fix is surgery and to get an injection as a temp fix. So I opted to start with the injection to buy myself some time (and I did not pass out this time) as I knew surgery would have to wait until summer after our cruise in late may/early june (who knew at that time it would get canceled!?). The shot seemed to help in the beginning, but wore off a month or so later and I've just been dealing with the pain since. So I know it's time, our cruise is not happening, I am not working, and dh is home until probably the end of the month working, so what better time to have surgery? I haven't gotten it scheduled yet, they just reopened today, going to call on Monday and see what my options are since elective surgeries are now allowed again. I just think it might be awhile due to all the canceled ones since March will have to be rescheduled too. I hope it doesn't go to far into June, as I really need to get back to work asap in August.

Anyway just wanted to hop back in and talk with everyone as I gear up for another knee replacement! Hope you're all well! I miss you!

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@SpaceGirl Welcome back! We will be here again for you. Hope you get your surgery date soon. Keep us updated.

OP
OP
SpaceGirl

SpaceGirl

Country
Thanks @Jaycey I sure will :) I am anxious to move forward, not really scared since I have done this before, but surgery is still always scary! I am just ready to have my life back without pain!

JennyLynne

post-grad
Country
Hi... I should be just ahead of you, also on my second TKR (and a couple hips for good measure).

I feel the same - anxious to move forward but still scared. This will be my 4th surgery in 5 years, but first outpatient! Can't wait to be fully bionic!

OP
OP
SpaceGirl

SpaceGirl

Country
Ok so I spoke to my drs office this morning and they are full until mid to late June and I have to come in for an appt before they can even schedule me (thanks insurance) so I have an appt on Monday to "talk" about the surgery and such. I figured it would be June, but it may even be July before it happens. That's really sucky with my job but they will just have to understand I can't come in until I am at least 12 weeks out. Will update again after my appt on Monday. I did ask for a refill on Mobic, because I have been in a lot of pain and have a lot of swelling.

JennyLynne

post-grad
Country
Glad you can at least get in to talk with them next week. Maybe a spot will open up sooner!

OP
OP
SpaceGirl

SpaceGirl

Country
@JennyLynne I sure hope so but if not, at least I can plan for this. I have a few things I have to get done before surgery so this gives me the time to do it. I will probably be put on their cancellation list I am sure, but we shall see!

OP
OP
SpaceGirl

SpaceGirl

Country
Went to my dr appt this morning, they did xrays and wanted to know if I have any questions. Nope, so now I wait on a call to schedule it. It still looks to be late June due to their booked schedule but will come back and update soon.
Here is the good ol' knees

IMG_6047.jpg

OP
OP
SpaceGirl

SpaceGirl

Country
Alright, date set! I go in June 24 for my left knee. Though its a month out, I am okay with that as I have a few things to do before surgery in order to get ready. I am ready to be pain free though!!!

Sara61

Forum Advisor
Country
Portugal Portugal
That's good news :yes!: now you can get yourself / house etc ready and relax and concentrate on yourself when surgery is over xx

OP
OP
SpaceGirl

SpaceGirl

Country
Yes very much so! I hate I won't start work back in Aug with everyone starting back to school but I gotta take care of me! I am sure it'll be fine, and Sept will be just around the corner LOL

Woodpusher

Country
Hey, on your Xray is your left knee bone on bone? I only ask because there does appear to be space in there. Mine was completely caved in, well half of it. I got out with a successful PKR.

Anyhow, having gone thru it before are you nervous? I was completely nervous before mine and that was without a pandemic! If I need the other one done I'm pretty sure I'd be a lot calmer.

OP
OP
SpaceGirl

SpaceGirl

Country
@Woodpusher it is bone on bone, I did have an injection in November 2019, so perhaps it's still some lingering gel or whatever it is? I can feel/hear the grinding most times, so I am ready to be pain free. I am not really that nervous or scared about the surgery, just apprehensive about the recovery. The first few weeks are rough but since I already know what to expect, I hope to be better prepared for it.

OP
OP
SpaceGirl

SpaceGirl

Country
Thanks @Woodpusher :) I am sure it'll be all new again lol but I have went back and read my recovery thread and am reading a few current ones too, I think that will help me remember that it will get better even when the pain sucks!

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
VSing
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom