United States United States
How did you do over this weekend?

OP
OP
S

Spacedust

Country
Hey, Cococay - mostly all right. I overdid it just a little today, I think, but it's manageable. I'm going to start back to work tomorrow, and expect that I should be able to do okay for at least 5-6 hours. I'll let you know!

The biggest thing I'm running into started yesterday - nerves are starting to heal, methinks, and so I have some very sharp zingers now and again as the numbness starts to depart. I'm going to give my OS office a call to see if there's something to be done for it - oxycodone isn't helpful, nor is Tylenol. Ice offers a little relief, short term.

Beyond the nerve zings, I'm generally okay - normal general muscle aches and bone aches, but no signs of anything like infection or the like. I'm not using my walker much at all - mostly have it handy for middle of the night bathroom visits, where I might be a little less stable.

Cococay

Country
Aside from the zingers —It sounds like you are doing great!. If you struggle with making it 5-6 hours working- even though I know it’s from home- are you in a position where you can take it slower -less hours and work up to it without to much of a big deal? How about swelling?
im wondering if you have been elevating too?

OP
OP
S

Spacedust

Country
As far as being able to take it more slowly, yes, for the most part. I could always go offline for an hour or so and have a nap, etc. Monday is typically my most challenging day in terms of number of meetings and so on, but there are a few hours here and there for a break.

No worries regarding kicking my legs up and icing. While I'd rather hook up to my big monitor and full sized keyboard, it is a laptop, and I can work from my bed or a recliner downstairs as desired. I've had my leg up a good share of the time, and ice around 6 hours a day.

OP
OP
S

Spacedust

Country
Oh, yeah, there's still swelling, but not anything extreme or unexpected. I tend to get my leg on ice and up at the first sign of anything more than minor response to exercising.

sistersinhim

Country
I have some very sharp zingers now and again as the numbness starts to depart.
Those zingers shouldn't last that long. As time goes on they won't be as sharp or as frequent. But, I am still having mind ones every once in a while, but I've had 6 surgeries on this knee, so more nerves have been damaged through the years.

NFenske

senior
Country
Here I am after 19 and still have nerves that go nuts well I seem to be a special case.

OP
OP
S

Spacedust

Country
Those zingers shouldn't last that long. As time goes on they won't be as sharp or as frequent. But, I am still having mind ones every once in a while, but I've had 6 surgeries on this knee, so more nerves have been damaged through the years.
Yeah, my left ankle still gets them now and again (I have a J-hook to fix a broken ankle from 2016). It totally wasn't a surprise or concern, just a change-up in the distractions, really. I'm actually pleased they're happening, since it implies more healing :)

Cococay

Country
It really sounds like your on track- of course pain sucks for lack of a better word-but I guess it would be impossible to have TKR without it right?! I hope your trying to rest as much as you can-
How did it go working today?

OP
OP
S

Spacedust

Country
I managed about 6 hours before I completely crashed and slept for 3 hours. Hard to believe how tired I was from being in a few meetings and on the computer catching up on email and project statuses!

I did way overdo physically today, though. I was up and down the stairs 4 round trips today, as well as doing a few exercises. I'm paying with pain and swelling, oy!

Cococay

Country
No more of that...... no wonder you crashed. :happydance:That’s a lot of physical and mental energy. Hoping you get good sleep tonight.
it would be hard to know how much is okay versus over doing it. I can see how it would be easy to do—finally being able to do things after sooo long-just being excited to try “normal “ again-

OP
OP
S

Spacedust

Country
Very true. Not that I'm under any illusion of being fully healed, or even close, but I was revelling in feeling more active!

I do know better than to give into it, but I was impatient and independent today instead of waiting for my husband to be free to assist me (which he's great about doing, by the way!) It was mostly trivial stuff, too - a refill of my thermal tumbler of cold brew coffee, for example. I had ice water sitting next to me so I wasn't thirsty, I just wasn't in the mood to wait till my husband's meeting wrapped up, so I went to get my own.

I will now pay for it tomorrow when I go see my PT. Not that I think she'll pay me too hard, but I will likely be reminded of my limitations

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Very early days to be trying a return to work. But if you must, please make work the only thing you do. No need for PT when you are working. As you found, you move around more and do your own activities of daily living (ADLs). Read this article again Energy drain for THRs.

Cococay

Country
How have the last couple days gone-are you hanging in there?

NFenske

senior
Country
After having been thru this and having to go thru it yet again one thing I have learned " the hard way " if you over do it you will pay. Most likely it will hurt a lot increase in swelling and even set you back as far as recovery goes. I am also sure when I have my surgery and get home from the hospital there will times that I over do it but unlike you for the most part its me, myself and I. My goal is to limit trips to kitchen and try to have what I need handy.

OP
OP
S

Spacedust

Country
Hangin in there, for sure!
Yesterday was my first follow-up at my surgeon's office - staples were removed, and x-rays taken. I was given a new script for oxycodone, and also for a muscle relaxant in the hope that it will help address the new types of pain which are keeping me awake at night. Everything is progressing nicely, and no signs of any issues, so I'm directed to keep on keepin' on.

I also had a PT appointment (right after the follow-up, in fact, which was convenient given they are located on two different floors of the same building). My therapist could see I was just a bit tentative due to the staple removal, so she kept it pretty simple, mostly the seated stepper machine, which I happen to really like, and some gentle exercises for flex and extension. Even so, my extension was still decent at 2, and my flexion continues to improve at 101. Pretty good for just past the two week mark, I'm told! She gave me my homework (a couple of gentle exercises that I should focus on when I'm on my feet, and continuation of the usual ankle pumps, circles, seated and reclining sliders).

I appear to be a bit lucky - my scar is sensitive but isn't particularly bothered by having long pants on. I worried a little about that, as I'm not a fan of hanging out in shorts this time of year, but I've had some loose jeans on and right now I'm in some sweats (loose, but not baggy), and neither has caused me any irritation or pain, yay! Oh, and the muscle relaxants did appear to help last night, or at least I was able to sleep 4 hours straight before waking up for a Tylenol and potty break. I was even able to get back to sleep for another couple of hours after that, so I feel positively energetic, at least relatively speaking!

Sara61

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Portugal Portugal
That is good news! 4 hours straight sleep so early in your recovery is bliss and wonderful. My surgeon told me to run different types of material over my incision once it had healed, this helps desensitizing it. Xx

Cococay

Country
Great tip @Sara61

I am thrilled to hear how well you are doing! It Helps ease my mind even Foyt mine.
I was a little worried you’d be struggling from trying to push it! I’m so happy for you!!
I hope it stays in this direction

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Douglass77
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom