• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Bilateral TKR Soreness after sitting, etc 6 months out

Casco Mike

Country
United States United States
Hi: I am 62 and very active. Had a bilateral TKR 5½ months ago. I am wondering if it's normal to still have soreness and stiffness after brief periods of inactivity (sitting, etc). I have worked hard to rehab, my PT said I passed the protocol faster than anyone he had before.

I was cleared to start light weightlifting with my legs at 6 weeks. I have progressed well strength wise, am back to deadlifiting 300+ lbs for 6-8 reps with no pain. But I still have soreness and stiffness after - which does lessen/improves after a minute or so of walking.

My surgeon is top notch and said I had no restriction as far as weightlifting (without going below parallel). Does it just take more time for the post-activity soreness/stiffness to not occur?

Jockette

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
United States United States
Hi and Welcome to Bonesmart!
Does it just take more time for the post-activity soreness/stiffness to not occur?
This recovery takes an average of a full year, so you’re about halfway there.

All new post op members get a copy of our Recovery Guidelines, each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs

Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling

Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery

Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
You're putting a pretty big load on knees that aren't 100% healed yet, since complete recovery takes a full year.
I think that might be partly the cause of your soreness.
The other part is simply that healing isn't yet finished, so your knees are still more sensitive than they will be later.

Time - and probably lower weights for a few more months - will help.

Josephine

NURSE DIRECTOR
Nurse Director
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I have worked hard to rehab, my PT said I passed the protocol faster than anyone he had before.
Your surgeon and PT have done you no favours. It's unnecessary to 'work hard'. Gentle exercises and activity is quite sufficient.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Lakegirl62
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom