Revision TKR Sondrals’ Revision

In the USA, they have changed the recommendation about acetaminophen from 4000mg to 3000mg. But it's only because the thought was that Americans weren't smart enough to count all the products on the market with acetaminophen in them that they might be taking. The maximum is still 4000mg.

Feeling better today, halving my pain meds seem to have helped with the brain fog and yucky feeling, adding an extra strength tylenol here and there seems to be sufficient in controlling my pain. I have an appointment Thursday to get my wound vac removed. I talked to the surgeon before leaving the hospital because the hospital PT kept asking about my outpatient PT and said I should have already set up appointments. He said he isn't sure he wants me starting PT because I've already got decent bend (I'd estimate 90 degrees or better right now) and he doesn't want them to push it given my previous experiences with them. I'll double check to make sure when I go back in Thursday though. If I go to any PT this time I'm going to be very clear that they will not touch my leg period. I'm happy right now doing my little exercises at home and not aggravating anything.

I've got myself a little set up with a lap desk for my laptop so I'm able to ice and elevate and work from home a little bit. Not doing a lot but keeping on top of a few things. Got my doggie nurse right beside me too, she doesn't let me get too far away without her coming to check on me. Letting my boyfriend sleep in a bit this morning as I'm able to get the ice packs from the freezer, a snack, something to drink, etc. and settle myself on the couch. I'm able to text my mom, we're both in recovery so she's been a lot more understanding this time since she's going through the same thing herself only with her hip.

If I go to any PT this time I'm going to be very clear that they will not touch my leg period. I'm happy right now doing my little exercises at home and not aggravating anything.
@sondrals - You have no idea how happy it makes me to see you now able to take control of what happens during your recovery! You've come a long way since you first joined BoneSmart and it's great to see you now making your own decisions and owning your recovery.

You've just made my day :dancy: :yes!::yay::spin:

This is a great start to your recovery. You've got this.

You have the experience and know what to do and what not to do. You'll nail this!

Got my wound vac removed. Looked really good, did bleed a tiny bit but nothing major, just must have been where a scab stuck. I forgot that the surgeon told me he was cutting out my old scar and starting with fresh skin so it’s really quite neat looking

Surgeons assistant seemed quite impressed that I not only can bend past 90 degrees but also can lift it and kick outward with my leg. He said the tightness in my hamstring is normal, offered me more pain meds which I declined, told him I was only taking half pills and should have enough at least until I come in next week.

I go back in next Thursday to have the staples removed. Now to try and get a nap, for some reason I was wide awake all night last night and just could not sleep.

That all sounds like pretty good progress, @sondrals . :yes!:

You've got the right idea about catching some daytime napping too, to make up for the sleepless night.

@Celle and to think I’ve done nothing to get there, I think I did some leg lifts and heel slides the day after I came home but other than that I’ve just been taking care of myself and getting up to walk around.

No nap yet, I’m like an over tired toddler, now I can’t seem to fall asleep. I figure eventually I’ll crash.

@Celle and to think I’ve done nothing to get there, I think I did some leg lifts and heel slides the day after I came home but other than that I’ve just been taking care of myself and getting up to walk around.
We tell people all the time that it's not exercising that gets you your ROM - it's time. Time to recover, time for swelling and pain to settle, and time to heal.

I hope you get some sleep soon.

Your post made my day!!! I'm so happy to hear how well you're doing and it sounds like your surgeon has done a fabulous job for you. And you've done all the right things so far with your recovery. Keeping swelling and inflammation down as much as possible is the key to success.

Egads, while I know from experience it’s par for the course but I am super emotional today. While I feel like I’m doing remarkably well, I’m walking a bit better, weaning off the pain meds to where I only take a half one at bed time and Tylenol the rest of the time. But today something just hit me like oh my god I’m doing this again. And it just feels so overwhelming and scary again.

I can fully understand your emotions as it is such a rollercoaster, :good-bad:but look on the bright side you have done it before and survived and you know that with time it really does get better, meanwhile give yourself lots of love and plenty of rest, as before you know it normal hectic life will back. :console2:

I hope today looks a little brighter for you. At least you know the Post Op Blues are real and temporary. That's half the battle. Cutting back on the prescription pain meds can contribute to this as well, so hang in there. Get plenty of sleep whenever you can, even during the day. Drink lots of water each day to help flush out your system.

You're doing really well. You're still in the beginning stages of recovery and patience can be hard to find, as I'm sure you'd just like to move on and be done with all this. If you can, have a chat with some friends. Maybe one can come by and share a lunch with you. This will pass.....

Today was better, I was able to fix myself some breakfast this morning, actual cooking which made me feel better. Boyfriend got off work early and brought lunch.

I do have a minor skin irritation next to my bandage, I’m not totally surprised as I’ve got very sensitive skin and often have a reaction to adhesives. Or it could be from the ice machine cuff as it’s kinda almost in the crook of my knee. Maybe it got warm/moist over night. I go back in Thursday so will just keep an eye on it until then unless it gets worse.

Last edited:
Sounds like a good plan.

I begrudgingly went to a PT session, a different physical therapist than last time. It was mostly just an eval, measured and I have 95 degrees bend and I'm 3 degrees from being straight. She asked what I wanted to achieve out of PT and I put it pretty bluntly I was looking to walk comfortably and normally without any aids. I also said I never want anyone to ever push, pull, or forcibly bend my knee. She agreed, and even said doing those type of things only ends up further aggravating the knee, causing swelling and pain. So, I've scheduled to go once a week, just to work on gait and such.

Got my staples out today, Dr. Reyes has left the practice now, he's moved to another city in Alaska, I'm super sad because I really like him. He's available for any issues that come up but I see his PA. He's pleased with my progress and doesn't seem to be concerned with anything. Didn't seem concerned with the skin irritation and thinks it's possibly caused by the bandage or my ice machine cuff. Told me to take some over the counter antihistamines and if those don't work he'll prescribe me more powerful ones. It itched like heck this morning and I remembered I have the Active Skin Repair stuff. So I started using some of that on it as cortisone seems to aggravate it. It almost reminds me of a heat rash that I got when I wore knee braces when I was younger.

We talked about my other knee, Dr. Reyes is referring me back to my original surgeon for the lateral release and will consult with him on that. I had talked with Dr. Reyes a bit prior to this surgery knowing that he was leaving on who he'd refer me to, and he said top of the list was my original surgeon. So I'm trusting his judgment a bit on that. I'm waiting for his team to call me and I'll go from there.

Totally off pain meds now, just taking tylenol 3 times a day. I can up that to 4 times a day but so far so good. I'm walking a bit better, today is the first day it's felt like I don't really need my walker. So I've been tooling around a little bit with my cane, testing things out. Probably will use my walker for a little bit longer, especially outside the house, and definitely if it snows.

Got donuts on the way home to celebrate :egypdance:

I’m glad your PT visit went so well. It seems you’ve found someone who believes in Bonesmart ideas. Glad to hear your PA thinks you’re doing well. And congratulations on no longer using any medications but Tylenol for pain. All in all that’s a great report. :happydance:

Why are you having a lateral release? I don't remember you saying anything about it before.

@sistersinhim my right kneecap is tilted outside of my joint. They did one during my left TKR but for some reasons didn’t during my right. So Dr. Reyes thinks the way my kneecap is sitting is causing the irritation in my right.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks