Revision TKR Sondrals’ Revision

A little more pain now, my dang foot is still numb, they tell me that’s normal but I don’t remember it from my other surgeries. It sure is annoying though.

Had a little scare with my blood pressure, it kept coming back 210/110, and then it kept getting worse. Then they changed the cuff out and it read 130/70, way better but man did that stress me out.

Probably will have to stay another night, but they just started allowing visitors this week so today my bf can come see me, a little excited about that.

Surgeon came by said he had to do a lot of work on my knee. Told him about my numb foot but he thinks that’ll go away. He warned me before surgery a nerve can get stretched too far and cause drop foot but I don’t have that.

PT and OT have been by and checked me off as clear to go home but my surgeon wants one more night in the hospital which is fine. A little hurty to walk on it. Guess I feel like I’m doing ok. Just wish I could feel my foot.

They keep harassing me to keep my leg completely straight when elevating. It hurts like heck to do that for any length of time so I keep ignoring them. Also managed to sleep on my side this afternoon so my leg wasn’t completely straight. Oh well.

Foot is still pretty numb which makes walking hard. I want to walk in my tip toes and not put weight through that leg yet.

Really rough night. Think I screwed myself up trying to be the tough gal. In a lot of pain, should have just taken the pain meds on schedule. Can’t hardly put any weight on it because the back hurts so badly. Frustrated with myself for being stubborn and frustrated for needing the pain meds. Hope I didn’t set myself back to where I can’t go home today.

@sondrals Please take your pain medication as prescribed, around the clock for now. You need your meds to increase your mobility. No heroics!

@Jaycey i am now. Had to admit I was being a little cocky to my surgeon. He laughed and said told you so. They’re releasing me today, I’m back able to put weight on it again and PT will take me for another walk and stair climb.

Feel gross and spacey from the pain meds but am back to a tolerable amount of pain. Man did that sneak up on me quick.

You might want to talk to your surgeon about changing your medication. There are plenty of alternatives if you are feeling too many side effects.

Take your meds now while they're offering them! There will be a time you won't have them and wish you did....:hairpulling:

Am home. Pretty sore but I have my pain meds and they gave me anti-nausea meds. All set up with my ice machine and pillows to elevate. So happy to see my dog and my bf again. Sure missed them. There’s something comforting about being home.

Do you mean behind your knee? Ice in the back of your knee may help.
Our knees do not like being perfectly flat and will let you know.Try and have a little relaxed bend in your knee when your leg is stretched out.
Hope this resolves soon.

Yeah the back of it. The surgeon said it’s ok to sleep with it a little bent but work on propping it out straight in front of me for a bit each day. That really hurts. Like all the way up into my butt cheek. Got ice on it now, that’s really the part of my leg that hurt the most, right behind my knee

Give yourself time, you have done this many times before, and as you know time helps you heal, gently with the straightening, do a little each day, once you are up and walking this will come naturally, right now your body needs plenty of rest, keep on time with your pain meds, nothing is gained if you subject yourself to pain.
You can do this just give yourself some tlc, now that your home you can relax more xxx

Pain ball came out today, haven’t noticed much difference but I’ve kept up in my pain meds every 4 hours. I have been splitting them in half during the day because they make me so spacey. What is the max of Tylenol in a day? I think I may be able to take a supplemental Tylenol Or two during the day. My pain pills have 325 Tylenol mixed with 10 hydrocodone. So if I’m halving then it should only be 163mg. Just want to make sure it all works like that.

Was able to get a shower and put clean clothes on. Able to putter around a bit but my leg still doesn’t feel like it goes straight when I walk. Guess that’ll come with time. The back of my knee is really the only thing that’s sore so icing it in addition to using the ice machine on the front.

Mostly feel like I’m doing ok. A little ahead of where I was on my other surgeries on some things and a little behind on others. Gotta go in Thursday to get my wound vac removed, my bf is going to take me.

Don't feel pressured to get your leg straight (full extension) this quickly. After all, your surgeon told you he had to do a lot of work. All that disruption in soft tissue and bone results in more tenderness and swelling in recovery. Allow yourself time to heal from that before worrying about how your extension is doing.

It's fine to have a slight bend in your knee when you're icing and elevating. As your surgeon suggested, do some of the extension stretching exercises one or two times a day for a few minutes. Extension is usually the last thing to normalize. You have plenty of time to get both flexion and extension. There is no hurry. Right now the most important thing is to heal all those traumatized tissues.

You can take up to 4000mg of acetaminophen (Tylenol) in a 24 hour period. You must count the acetaminophen from all sources, including your prescription pain meds and any over the counter meds like cold and sinus medications you might take. If your 10mg pain pill contains 325mg of acetaminophen and you're splitting it in half, then the count would be 162.5mg of acetaminophen in each dose you take.

You're doing really well. Patience will be the key now.....hang in there.

@Jamie thanks. Couldn’t remember if it was 3000 or 4000. Think I’m just excited a little to see how this goes. My bf had to shoo me away from attempting to do laundry already :heehee:

I want to sleep a lot which is normal, the pain meds help with that. I was able to sleep through the night, only waking up to take meds, go pee and have my bf change out my frozen water bottles in my ice machine. I’m even able to sleep on my side some which is a relief because I hate sleeping on my back.

Ive always struggled a bit with the patience thing lol. Trying my best to be good and relax and remember it’s not a race.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom