Revision TKR Sondrals’ Revision

I hope your appointment on the 25th goes well.

Do let us know what happens, won't you?

Met with Dr Reyes today he had my hip to knee X-ray printed out with lines and angles drawn all over it. He showed me the angles he’d figured out and what would need to be done to realign my leg so my hip, knee and ankle are all on top of each other. Both my femur and tibia are curved so they don’t sit over each other. He also showed me the gap where my ligaments are overstretched. He doesn’t think with my anatomy replacing the ligament will last as long as if they go in and put in a constrained implant. I did find out he uses Zimmer Persona. He said I would have to spend 2-3 days in the hospital and the recovery will be longer and harder. He did recommend one other surgeon in Alaska if I want to get a second opinion. But I’m scheduled for September 24th because he had one opening in September, one in October and one in November and I’d like to get in sooner if possible. Does most of that sound reasonable?

Oh I guess my only concern is he said because it’s constrained the movement of the knee can cause the lower implant to rock and loosen. So eventually I’d need another revision

I think what he explained to you sounds reasonable. If you are comfortable with him and what he's proposed for you, I'm not sure you'd gain much from another opinion other than to wait longer for the surgery. It would be unlikely for you to get an appointment with another surgeon in just a few weeks.

While it's conceivable that you will need another revision in your lifetime, if you are reasonably careful with your knee, it is possible to get many years out of it before that's necessary. I imagine once he has done the surgery he may give you some guidelines about activity following recovery. Most likely running or jogging will be discouraged, as would sports that "torque" your knees like tennis. Be sure and have that discussion with him at some point. Maintaining a healthy weight and strengthening your muscles will help with longevity of the implant.

I’m so sorry you need more surgery. :console2:

I'm sorry that you have to put yourself through more surgery but pleased that finally you know what's wrong and it can be rectified, sending virtual hugs to you xxx :friends:

It sounds like you have a good future ahead of you. Knowing the problem and that it's fixable is on the right step.

Yeah, I'm reluctant to give away my spot since he literally had 3 more openings until the end of the year. I feel pretty confident in what he's suggesting. I mean I'm nervous of course. I don't really WANT more surgery but... if it has the chance to fix this so I can walk properly, I want to do it.

So now basically I'm now jumping through hoops to get insurance approval, pre-op testing AGAIN, Covid test, etc. And preparing the house/supplies again for post-surgery. I splurged and ordered a new fridge last night because ours has been giving us fits, its old and not worth repairing really, but my luck it'd quit right during/after surgery. So I just dealt with it before hand in hopes of avoiding an appliance emergency when I'm not capable of dealing with it. Also, living in Alaska most things have to be ordered and run months out, so I got lucky and will have it delivered and installed in two weeks :)

Oh I guess my only concern is he said because it’s constrained the movement of the knee can cause the lower implant to rock and loosen. So eventually I’d need another revision
@Pumpkln has a constrained (hinged) knee. I'll ask her to come and talk to you about it.

@sondrals
I've had a hinged implant since 2014, so far no problems. I cannot tell the difference between this one and the TKR it replaced after I injured the ligaments around my knee.

I had not heard of the rocking on the tibial plate loosening the implant. I imagine this is very rare, and he only mentioned it as one of many cautions he is required to tell you about for informed consent.

@Pumpkln Thanks for the input, it's nice to hear from someone who actually has one. I'm glad yours has worked out well and I'm hoping mine does as well. It seems they always tell you scary stuff that could happen, which is good, but sometimes I wish they wouldn't lol.

My only fear is he keeps telling me how much more this is going to hurt. Maybe I've gotten lucky with my previous surgeries because I didn't think they were too painful. Don't get me wrong but after the first 3-4 days I managed just fine with tylenol. Kinda hoping he's doing a warn for the worst, hope for the best, kind of thing. I sure am!

Kinda hoping he's doing a warn for the worst, hope for the best, kind of thing. I sure am!
I agree, he is giving you the worst case scenario, and hoping for the best. With a new knee fitted properly, you should do very well.

Surgeon's office called me, wanting to know who I will be using for PT after my surgery. I said no one, she goes uhhhh can you do that? I said I dunno but I'm gonna because the next person that even comes close to touching my knee or pushing on it is probably going to get bopped in the head. She mummbled a bit and said I'll have to talk to my surgeon about it on my pre-op date :heehee:

I genuinely wonder sometimes what my medical notes look like, if they all just think I'm crazy or maybe realize I'm a bit of a smart butt

You're not being a "smart butt." You are simply taking an active role in your care. Talk with your surgeon. He'll understand once you've told him you don't plan on sitting around 24/7 eating bon bons but you prefer a gentle approach at least until you've healed properly.

Has anyone used a ActiveCare+SFT Unit? I was looking through my paperwork and it's prescribed for after. IT looks like a leg squeezing thing to prevent DVTs and stuff. Just curious as I didn't have it any of my other surgeries.

After my bladder surgery, my surgery ordered one of them for me while I was in the hospital.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts