Revision TKR Sondrals’ Revision

Actually he is who I saw last week, so I feel a little better about that. I go for CT scans later this week. Thank you @Jamie

He's the only surgeon I saw in Anchorage who seemed to do a good number of revisions. That's so important to have a surgeon who knows that side of the business. It's more complex than a primary joint replacement. You'll have to let me know how it goes.

@Jamie - I will let you know how it goes. This is all terrifying to me now. I feel like they all treated me like I was being a drama queen about things or crazy. Part of me wants to just give up and live with it the way it is because I’m so scared to trust anyone again

Try not to be afraid....although I understand your feelings completely. You have your BoneSmart family here to lean on and help support you. That's what we're here for. We can help you decipher and flesh out any option you are given by surgeons. They don't always provide enough information or in do it in a simple way so you can make a good decision.

Part of me wants to just give up and live with it the way it is because I’m so scared to trust anyone again
I totally understand how you feel. :console2:

My partial has not gone well. I’ve had 2 second opinions who found nothing to fix. I will have a lot of trouble trusting someone if/when a revision is needed.

It sounds like the new OS you are going to will be a blessing for you. Even Jamie found him on the approved list of revisionist! You will improve with him, I'm sure.

My CT got cancelled because my insurance won’t approve it. So trying to deal with all that right now. Tentatively rescheduled for next Wednesday. Kind of all up in the air though

Keep after it. Insurance can be a pain in the patootie sometimes. But most doctors know how to deal with the companies and you should be able to get the scan eventually. They just have to use the right words.

I had my CT yesterday, I was wondering if there was someone who could tell me what the report means if I were to post a redacted picture of it? I got it this morning. I'm waiting for Dr. Reyes to call me after he goes over it and decides what, if anything to do. Apparently he's moving end of September which is disappointing.

I will ask the staff if anyone can read it.

@sistersinhim Thank you, I will attach it. I'm mostly waiting on the surgeon to call me back after he's had a chance to review it

Ambra Viewer.jpg

@sondrals and @sistersinhim .... We can help you interpret the written report that always accompanies a scan. If you'd like to post that, we'd be happy to take a look.

Dr Reyes just called me. My tibia is bowed which is causing my leg to not be aligned and my inner tendon is stretched out to where it just lets my leg go back bow legged. He feels like he can fix it it’s a big surgery with double the time off and recovery. He’d go back in and remove these implants and put in ones with long poles and something called a constrained implant to support my ligaments more. He wants to see me before I make a decision and show me what all he’d be doing. He also wants more time to do more measurements and come up with a solid plan. He doesn’t feel like my original implant was put in wrong it’s more my bone and soft tissue structure. He’s off next week so he’ll schedule me to come in the week after. He is leaving end of September but has an agreement to come back and do revision surgeries here on Friday’s and saturdays. It just means he’d not be here for my recovery but he could do tele health appointments.

I'm glad your surgeon called you. The report you posted was not looking at things I'm familiar with and now I know why. The problem he's diagnosed is definitely not a common issue with a knee. I am glad he has a plan to help you and that he's willing to explain it in detail. That's the sign of an excellent surgeon and I believe you are in good hands.

Knee stability after total knee replacement is the cornerstone to achieve good long-term implants survival. In a challenging situation like yours, the use of a constrained implant can help improve stability. This type of prosthesis is also called a hinged implant. You can see from the images below that it does have longer stems. Constrained implants have tibial and femoral components that are linked together with a hinged mechanism. The "hinge" appears as a vertical "post" in the image on the right. The hinge should stop any backward movement when you bend your knee.

You should do fine in recovery. It will be very similar to your previous surgeries. We've had several members here on BoneSmart who have had successful outcomes with hinged implants.

1597371990655.png

I'll be looking forward to hearing how your face-to-face meeting with the surgeon goes.

I'm sorry to hear you have to have more surgery but at least you know what the problem is now. Knowing what it is, is winning half the battle! It sounds like your doctor is on it and developing a plan with you for a successful outcome.

@Jamie thanks that makes me feel a little better. I did ask if it was a hinged joint and he said no. So maybe I misunderstood. I guess I'm just special in all my deformities. Lucky me eh? I'm very impressed with Dr. Reyes so far, I was really surprised to hear from him so quickly. And I like that he wants me to come in and see and understand what's going on and what the plan is to fix it. I can't say that I'm really looking forward to more surgery to be honest. For some reason the leg this is happening on, the left, heals faster than the other one. It makes zero sense really, but it's been way less painful, healed faster, and I've gotten my ROM back super fast in it with little work. So here's hoping that trend keeps up!

I'm staring a list of questions for when I go back in. I want to be prepared.

@sistersinhim Thanks, I don't think I'm looking forward to more surgeries but I'm am pretty pleased with his communication about the issues and stuff.

I want to skip PT this time, I'm kinda done with them. The last time I went (months ago) they sat on my foot and pushed on my knee. Because they felt like 121 degrees bend wasn't good enough, they wanted 125. I was so floored despite hearing horror stories from like... everyone. Plus I have less than 10 PT visits for the rest of the year that my insurance will cover.

You'll be fine without taking PT. You already know what to do. When you do your own recovery, you have complete control of what is happening to your knee and body.

I did ask if it was a hinged joint and he said no.
That's interesting.....maybe you'll have to educate us once you've talked with him. I'd like to know what the name of the prosthesis is, the company who makes it, and why it is different than a hinged joint.

The last time I went (months ago) they sat on my foot and pushed on my knee. Because they felt like 121 degrees bend wasn't good enough, they wanted 125.
This is just criminal! No one needs a therapist on a power trip. The silly thing is even therapists can have a difference of several degrees when trying to get a measurement. It's not an exact process. So the difference between 121 and 125 is really meaningless.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom