Revision TKR Sondrals’ Revision

After you are home from the hospital don’t go out if the weather is bad. You have enough experience with PT to know what you can/should do and you can do it at home. Use common sense before going out in bad weather and on icy surfaces.

Hope you’re recovering safely and resting.

Hope everything has gone smoothly for you and that you are getting plenty of rest and pain under control- sending hugs to you xxx

Welp I’m done again. The surgeon said my knee was one of the worst he’s ever seen. They gave me a patch for nausea, well it made me sick, I have dizziness and extreme dry mouth and can’t stay awake. So they took it off. An hour after surgery PT came and walked me a little bit. Now I’ve been to the bathroom several times with my walker.

The knee itself doesn’t feel too bad a little achy in my thigh and when I put weight on it it’s pretty sore.

They’re talking about releasing me tomorrow. I remember being super nervous about going home the first time. So that’s back again.

other than being ridiculously tired I feel ok

Awww...remember we hardly remember the first couple of weeks. Stay up on meds and good luck with number two!

It’s great to hear from you! So glad you’re on the recovery side of things. It’s all going to be fine. You came through it before, you will again! We’re here for you. :console2:

Here’s a refresher for you:

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Glad to hear from you!
Home is always better than a hospital. Hospitals can make you sick.
You got this!

Healing thoughts for a better recovery this time around
! Screen Shot 2019-11-18 at 6.35.30 PM.png

@Starsfan22 i think I blocked out the first few weeks because I don’t remember how I was walking or doing at all. So it feels like this is all new again.

Up all night after I was sure I’d sleep. Have to pee every hour lol Kinda lonely, what a weird thing to experience all over again. Some of it I remember but some of it I must have totally blocked out

Day 2: way more coherent today, slept in about hour long bits all night. I despise sleeping on my back so it’s very hard to get comfortable.

I am, once again, eating the poor hospital out of house and home. It’s 6 am and I just ordered breakfast but I’ve been waiting an hour or so for them to open.

Been up and down to the bathroom, feel like I’m walking better already. Not a whole lot of pain but I have the nerve block still in. I think I had 5mg Norco last night around 8pm but that’s all I’ve needed so far.

It’s been sort of amusing, I had the same anesthesiologist, night nurse and the food delivery person recognized me as well. They were all “weren’t you just here?”

I may get to go home today, waiting on PT, OT, and the surgeons assistant to clear me. My surgeon apparently flew out of state last night but he called me to let me know how things went, that his Assistant will be by today to talk to me and let me know who is filling in for him in case anything arises.

Last edited:
I hate sleeping on my back too. I do a whole thing where I wrap up snug in my blankets or, if it’s too warm, I roll some of the blankets into a bolster beside me instead; and visualize that I’m in a cocoon, supported on all sides. Often it works; sometimes it just passes time while I tire out.

Alternatively, I listen to an audiobook, figuring that I might not sleep, but at least I can enjoy lying there. I almost always end up asleep.

Maybe one of those tricks could help?

@Helizabug thanks for the ideas. I put a pillow under my hip and kinda tipped myself a little bit which seemed to help. I did manage to sleep on my side for a bit even. I brought my smart phone so I watched Netflix until I fell asleep.

Glad you made it home! Sending good thoughts for your recovery. Wishing rest for you. :flwrysmile:

Glad you are home now you can begin your recovery and soon you will have two perfect knees and a whole new life - stay positive for the next few weeks - big hugs xxx

It’s been kinda rough since being released. I’m in a lot more pain on this leg than the other one. I also have to pee every hour which is remotely annoying.

my left leg is definitely feeling the the burden as its a little swollen and sore.

on the plus side I can sleep on my side as long as my surgery leg is down

Pee breaks are good it's giving you exercise :giggle:
What time is it now where you are ? Here in Portugal it is 10:35am

What time is it now where you are ? Here in Portugal it is 10:35am
I think it’s so fun to compare times and locations! It’s 6:13 here in Delaware, USA.

I’m on Jockette’s time. Cold day dawning here.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back