Revision TKR Sondrals’ Revision

Weird question, should I be able to stand unaided on my replaced leg with my other foot in the air? I can’t. I mean I can’t even make myself try, I feel like I’m going to fall if I try. Is that weird/bad?

Also, does dominant side ever matter? I can’t seem to use a cane properly in my left hand.

I used ice and the frozen water bottles, along with the water to circulate. The frozen water bottles last so much longer than ice cubes do. I was going through about 10 pounds of ice a day until I learned here to freeze water waters. What a $$ saver!

No to both your questions. above.

Your left TKR is only three and a half months old. That's not even a third of the way to being fully recovered. Why would anyone expect it to perform as if it had never had surgery? Give it time and one day you'll be able to stand on one leg with confidence.

For a left TKR, you should be using the cane with your right hand.
When the time comes to use a cane for your right knee, if using it in your left hand is still difficult, just use it in your right hand again. The important thing is to move the cane at the same time as the knee it's supposed to be supporting.

A cane saved me many times from falling. I still have one in my car in case.

@Celle thanks so much for anyways answering all my silly questions. I’m not even certain I could stand on one leg before surgery. What brought it to mind was two things, I still sit down to put my pants on and when I change out from my spiked shoes to my normal ones I hang onto the wall.

PT tried to have me change hands with my cane when my right leg started giving me problems. I’ve tried and tried but I can’t seem to put any weight on it when I use my left hand. I can carry it there, swing it with my right leg, but it’s not actually doing anything. Thought maybe it was because I am right handed.

@sistersinhim i use mine the majority of the time still. Occasionally I will not use it around the office at work but my limp is so bad that my hip and lower back start to bother me. And with the ice and snow, I’m keeping it.

I did learn to never ever forget to flip my spike tip up once indoors. I scared myself pretty badly because it skidded and I thought I was going to fall. I’ve done it twice now ugh. I did manage to catch myself though thankfully.

I had my left knee done, so I used my cane in my right hand. I’m right handed, so it was very natural.

Now that I’ve used the cane like that, I can’t imagine using it in my left hand!

I’m not even certain I could stand on one leg before surgery. What brought it to mind was two things, I still sit down to put my pants on and when I change out from my spiked shoes to my normal ones I hang onto the wall.
Heavens, it's 5 years since I had my second TKR and I still sit down to put on my pants - it'safer that way.
I think it's a wise precaution to hold onto something when putting shoes on, too.

I can balance on one leg, but when I'm doing something as well, such as putting on pants or shoes, it's so much easier (and safer) to sit down, if you can.

Think I might of just become a member of the over did it club. All the running around, in and out of buildings changing my shoes multiple times, my knee is quite tight. My other knee is killing me s well. Probably doesn’t help that it’s only 6 degrees here right now too. Had to sit down to finish putting the groceries away. Popped a couple Tylenol and have my feet up now.

You had a big day and yes, you probably did join the ODIC. But you're doing the right thing in elevating and taking some Tylenol. It's not too far into recovery for you to ice as well.

Best wishes for your surgery next week!
I need to have my other knee done, but things keep coming up that cause it to be delayed. Sometimes I think I'll never get the chance. So, see -- there's a Bonesmartie who is envying you right now!

My knee kinda looks like a knee again! Excuse the hairy legs and dog butt.
B0898321-9E19-413B-AB67-F132EF090022.jpeg

Looking good!!

Starting to get more nervous now. Switched my blood thinners to shots today, that was no big deal but I think it just hit me that my surgery is less that 48 hours away. I’m trying to keep busy so I don’t just sit around and freak out. I’m going to work part of a day tomorrow then head home to finish up a few more little things and pack my bag for the next morning. My bf got out my walker and we made sure I could go up and down our one front step with it using my new knee, and I can no problem so yay! I think we figured out why I struggle to do it with my cane as well, I’m having to hold the screen door and the angle is weird so I end up putting all my weight of my new knee then trying to jump (really?? Ugh). So at least that’s figured out. But still quietly freaking out inside and the feud between my bf and mother rages on so that is zero help, but honestly it’s more her than him. And it warmed up enough to make a ton of ice then freeze so everything is super slick again.

Lots of hugs and best wishes!!! :console2:

Sending best wishes for your surgery, at least you know what to expect and you've already been there - half the battle is the unknown.
Sending hugs to you xxx

Eek what a mess stuff is today. It’s winter and it’s decided to pour rain! Everything is a slick mess, standing water on top of ice. This is so scary to know I’m going to have surgery and then have to go out in this.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom