Revision TKR Sondrals’ Revision

I have no one to really “take care” of me
Many of us had no one with us after this surgery and, with planning, we made out just fine. The main thing is to stay safe and that includes using that walker as long as you feel at the least bit wobbly. You do not want to fall. A walker is only an assistance device, something to keep you safe. Use it as long as you need to. No one can tell how you feel so should not be telling you when to give it up. It's your decision only!

Physical therapy today I have ROM of 0/110. I’m still using my CPM machine but I guess it maxes out at 120. Worked on walking without my brace and without my walker but with a cane. They feel I’m ready for without either but I’m not so sure. I’m having a bit of trouble trusting my new knee, especially since the reason it was replaced was reoccurring dislocations.

First post op follow up appointment today too. Got my staples out they said it is healing well. My surgeon seems truly pleased with my progress. He said his one fear for me is that I will over do it. Which is probably a warranted fear especially given my personality. Gave me the all clear to drive and go back to work - when I’m ready. He would like me to still use the walker and/or brace at home because we have a 40lb dog and he’d hate for her to bump into me and cause a fall. I think that’s fair, it felt a little bit like they were taking all my training wheels away at once.

Having a friend take me to do grocery pick up tonight even though I’m cleared to drive I’m not sure I’m quite ready. Since I already had it set up, I’ll just let her take me.

You are doing awesome! I would have been so envious to be at 110 at your point in recovery.

I think especially since you've been using the brace it may take a little bit longer to transition to the cane. BTW I think I used the walker for at least 2 weeks. And even when I was using the cane most of the time, for about a week or so I continued to use the walker at stiffer times like first thing in the morning for added security. I also think they're right that the walker will help signal to the dog that all is not normal yet.

Great news that your friend will take you on a grocery run.

@kneeper I agree on the walker. I’m not ready to give it up yet. I’m pretty happy with 110 but it’s still pretty tight and I know it’s swollen so still icing like crazy. I have a game ready machine that I rented that I have for another week. It iced and compresses.

Still feel kinda depressed despite all the good news. Part of it is all they family drama, part of it is despite everyone saying I’m doing good it feels a bit fake, like I’m not REALLY doing that good. I don’t know how to explain it.

They said I could go back to work but I’m not ready. I don’t think I’ll be ready for another week or more. I’ve been working from home so I don’t get too far behind. But part of me wants to just get back to life.

They said I could go back to work but I’m not ready. I don’t think I’ll be ready for another week or more. I’ve been working from home so I don’t get too far behind. But part of me wants to just get back to life.
Don't rush going back to work. Your job right now is to look after your knee and not ask too much of it. There's nothing you can do to speed up recovery, but if you consistently do too much, too soon, you can slow down recovery.
Read this article again, to check how much activity we recommend in the early stages of recovery.
Activity progression for TKRs

We usually recommend taking about 12 weeks off work, and then doing a Phased return to work , if possible.

Knee replacement isn't a surgery you can bounce back from in a few weeks. Complete recovery of all your tissues can take as long as a full year, although you'll be able to do most things by about 3 months.

Another thing: being younger than many people who have a TKR won't give you a faster recovery, unfortunately. Your knee takes just as long to recover from a knee replacement whether you're 18 or 80.

Kinda down today, burst out into tear for no apparent reason. Think I scared my bf. I couldn’t even articulate what was wrong because it’s not something specific. Think it’s a combo of his workweek starting, so I’m alone more and I feel like a burden.

Had PT Friday, was my first day back driving, went pretty well and surprisingly it’s fairly comfortable to drive. My car fits me just right to where my knee can be just about straight when driving. Guess I’m glad it’s the left knee or I wouldn’t be driving by now. PT went well but I was pretty tired afterwards. They have me doing a lot of walking, marching, wide steps, walking backwards, walking sideways all with just walking sticks. My hands hurt afterwards, I must of had a death grip on them. I have 105 unassisted but I can pull it into 118 with a strap. Got on the bicycle for the first time, I guess I just expected to get on and start peddling around. Much to my surprise I couldn’t do it. So a lot of rocking back and forth. Guess that disappointed me a bit.

After PT I stopped by work to get my paycheck, got to see my boss and coworker. I miss them, I’m surprised I didn’t cry. Then popped over to the bank and picked up lunch for my bf and I. He went along because I have yet to figure out how to get me and the walker in the car at once. Tomorrow I might have him help me practice walking to the car with my cane. I have been using just it around the house some when I’m not alone. When alone I use the walker because my dog is 40lbs and just the right height to hit my knee. Better safe than sorry.

Got a shower tonight which made me feel a little more human. Can’t wait to ditch the shower chair but I’m probably going to have to hang onto it a bit longer.

My other knee has been bugging me a lot. It scares me that I may have to go through all this over again on it. This time I know I won’t have my mom’s help so it’d be even more difficult.

Sorry for rambling, it’s 11pm here and I can’t sleep, still haven’t figured out a way to sleep on my side or stomach that’s comfortable so I have a hard time falling asleep. Except when I’m in the cpm machine, for some reason every time I get in it I fall asleep.

Kinda down today, burst out into tear for no apparent reason. Think I scared my bf. I couldn’t even articulate what was wrong because it’s not something specific. Think it’s a combo of his workweek starting, so I’m alone more and I feel like a burden.
It sounds as if the post-op blues have hit you. :console2:
They're normal and to be expected. Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
This recovery really does play havoc with your emotions, making them much more volatile. Hang in there. This will get better.
I have 105 unassisted but I can pull it into 118 with a strap. Got on the bicycle for the first time, I guess I just expected to get on and start peddling around. Much to my surprise I couldn’t do it. So a lot of rocking back and forth. Guess that disappointed me a bit.
Don't pull your knee or use any straps. It's only your unassisted ROM that counts, although the 118 did show that improvement is possible, given time.

Most people can only rock the bike pedals at first. That's to be expected,but you will be able to do the full rotation one day.

it’s 11pm here and I can’t sleep, still haven’t figured out a way to sleep on my side or stomach that’s comfortable so I have a hard time falling asleep. Except when I’m in the cpm machine, for some reason every time I get in it I fall asleep.
The CPM machine doesn't make any difference to your eventual ROM and most surgeons don't use them any more. However, if you find you can sleep when using it, continue to use it by all means. At least it's elevating your leg while you rest.

I think the sudden 'brain-jackings' where you feel completely wrong for no identifiable reason, are the hardest. Just going along, minding your business, healing well, and suddenly you're off the rails. Both frustrating and depressing. I've been there.
Oh wait, I AM there. I am completely out of sorts and I don't know why. Except that it is post-surgery and doesn't require any other why.

Don't pull your knee or use any straps. It's only your unassisted ROM that counts, although the 118 did show that improvement is possible, given time.

I think I probably could of done it on my own honestly, just have a problem getting traction sometimes

The CPM machine doesn't make any difference to your eventual ROM and most surgeons don't use them any more.

I really like the CPM, I’ve read it’s debatable on whether it helps or not. I find it rather relaxing and puts my mind at ease that my knee can bend, especially at the beginning when my muscles weren’t firing consistently

I think the sudden 'brain-jackings' where you feel completely wrong for no identifiable reason, are the hardest.

Yes! This is exactly what happened! It’s so weird feeling to be ok then the next minute you’re in tears for a reason you can’t even explain.

I’m sorry you’re going through this too. I wouldn’t wish this feeling in anyone.

Re: using straps. If you're doing heel slides, my PT said you can use the strap to hold your leg in the position you can get to on your own and then let your leg muscles relax. Hold for a few seconds.
You don't want to pull your leg though.

@kneeper

Still feel kinda depressed despite all the good news. Part of it is all they family drama, part of it is despite everyone saying I’m doing good it feels a bit fake, like I’m not REALLY doing that good. I don’t know how to explain it.

My standard on REALLY doing better is to have a knee that is, overall, significantly better than it was the day before surgery. As of today, about 8 weeks after the surgery, I still can't say that. But, I think I am getting close. It's hard to judge. Somethings are definitely better, like going downstairs, and my 2 mile walk the other day. But, other things are still worse - the stiffness, swelling, lack of flex, and, the little zingers that pop up at stupid times.

My other knee has been bugging me a lot. It scares me that I may have to go through all this over again on it.
Mine did, too, until my tkr was able to take on some of the 'load'. Now, it's not that bad and nothing I can't deal with. I bet your old knee will improve as you new one does.

PT again today! Went all the way around on the bicycle after warming up a little bit. I have my “normal” PT guy back, he informed me I’m doing great for 4 weeks out. I’m like uhm I’ll be 3 weeks out on Thursday. He was even more impressed. He was also awed by how much bruising I have, showed him pictures of right after surgery and he said he’s only seen bruising like that once or twice. We are really working on my walking because I have a tendency to stand really wide and throw my leg out to the side instead of putting it under me. Must be something I did before from being so knock-kneed. Doesn’t help that my other knee is still badly knock-kneed. Got some new exercises, heel raises while standing at the counter and shifting my weight back and forth at the counter. And sitting down extending my leg out and down slowly.

The big thing — I went to pt all by myself, and I only used my cane to get to and from the car at home. No walker! Still using it inside because of our furry kid. I parked it right inside the door when I left so I could grab it and she couldn’t jump on me. But I told her no, go lay down, when I got home and she actually listened. She knows I’m injured so she’s been fairly careful around me. She’s also my snuggle buddy during the day when I’m icing and elevating. She’s taking it real hard lol.

Attachments

• 31DBCB0F-5933-4C1F-92EA-7D9AA37C8C7C.jpeg
    31DBCB0F-5933-4C1F-92EA-7D9AA37C8C7C.jpeg
    132.2 KB · Views: 344
Hey, good for you, that's great!! I'm glad you are getting things figured out.
And your pup is a cutie!! My dog was very cautious around me & stayed close by in the early weeks.

Sounds like you're moving right along. I have a completely weird gait from years of bad knees too. I hope your other knee improves as some of the strain let's up.

Out furbabies really know when something is up. My cats very quickly went on Mommy-watch and I have constant supervision. My Bella is a super sized girl, for a cat, and she normally likes a lap that involves laying on my left leg. But she knew I was sore and didn't even ask until I was almost healed.
Pets are amazing.

@luvcats I love my girlie dog. We had to have my big boy (80+ lbs) put down about a week before I had surgery. I was really upset about it, and I still miss him like crazy. When they sedated me for surgery I saw this image of him and me sitting together. I felt like it was his way of telling me he’s ok and I’m going to be ok. I still miss him but it hasn’t been as raw or painful since then. So my girlie has been more attached to me than usual, she’s almost always right next to me. She’s been way more calm than usual too which has been nice since she’s normally the wild child. I think she knows I’m “hurt” so she’s been really careful around me.

How very sweet of your baby to come visit you while you were under. People may think I'm crazy, but I have had visits from all my babies on the other side. I am really sad for you. They leave and empty space that is so much bigger than their little furry bodies.

I have 2 cats and 4 angel babies.

@luvcats he’s the first one as an adult that I’ve lost. He was my heart dog, I saved him and he saved me. He had IBD for his entire life and I fought many times just to keep him alive. For him to have made it to 12.5 was nothing short of a miracle. I miss him like crazy but I know he’s in a better place with no pain. I think I needed his little visit as I was feeling very guilty and unsure of my decision to let him go.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
mexicaliaguilas
Recent bookmarks
Back