• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

TKR Sondrals’ recovery

Helizabug

senior
Country
United States United States
Straight is the hardest for me, even before my surgery. Whole different kind of pain from flexion. I’m gaining a few degrees of straight every PT visit, so far, by being gentle. I believe, as BoneSmart seems to suggest, that the window of opportunity is wi-i-ide open. I don’t have to dive through it like a an action hero. So I work at the straightening and flexing, with kindly attention, like helping a child learn to read.

What a cool thing your boyfriend did. Sheet pan dinners seem very cool.

OP
OP
sondrals

sondrals

senior
Country
I'm sorry you're feeling frustrated at still being in recovery - or at being in recovery again. Having two knee replacements one after the other does make for a long time in recovery, but it's going to be worth it in the end. It would make anyone get a bit stir-crazy.
I think this is it really even though I was t doing great before I feel like I went right back to step one. And I have really. I’m exhausted, a little scared I won’t ever be normal again, and just feel out of sorts.

OP
OP
sondrals

sondrals

senior
Country
@Helizabug Ive had hyper extension most my life, I got my straight back in my other knee very quickly. I assumed this would be the same. But I guess every knee is different. I’ll sit with it straight for a bit then bend it a little, and rotate that so I’m not completely miserable.

I do everything with wreckless abandon, I still have a hard time not doing that.

OP
OP
sondrals

sondrals

senior
Country
Today is my first day kind of fending for myself. I’ve realized I need to have my bf make a few snacks for me to make it easier on me. But at least I’ve eaten some canned fruit, crackers and a yogurt. I though maybe he could make up some tuna to go with my crackers for tomorrow and maybe some cheese slices. still a bit picky on my eating.

Today was also the day to take my pain ball out, no problems with that and I haven’t noticed an increase in pain at all. I looked at it yesterday and would have said it was out then so I kind of assume it ran out before today. Doing fine taking 1000mg Tylenol 3-4 times a day. Haven’t needed my pain meds as long as I keep up on that. And the Tylenol doesn’t make me gross feeling.

My biggest problem is I’m freezing to death. Between it being winter and icing constantly I really wish I had a giant pair of fleecy pants that fit over my brace that I could slip on. I can’t seem to find anything that will work though and between changing to my brace and ice cuff I’d be constantly taking them on/off.

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
I think this is it really even though I was t doing great before I feel like I went right back to step one. And I have really. I’m exhausted, a little scared I won’t ever be normal again, and just feel out of sorts.
Yes, you've got a double whammy of recovery and its accompanying Energy drain for TKRs . :console2:
hugs.jpg

Give yourself the rest that you need now, and enjoy knowing that you don't have to go out in the ice and snow. Resting now will pay off later, so try to think of something that will occupy your mind, instead of dwelling on "what ifs".

Try not to think of resting as "lying around, doing nothing." Instead, think of it as working hard, to give your knee the best possible chance of healing well.
In other words, when you are icing and elevating and watching TV, you are not 'lazing around' - you are "engaging in a carefully considered, proactively designed, heuristically programmed, dynamically structured recovery programme".
(That last bit is a quote from one of the Star Wars movies.)

Sara61

senior
Country
Portugal Portugal
My biggest problem is I’m freezing to death. Between it being winter and icing constantly
Not sure this would help for you but I use a electric under blanket (this goes on top of the mattress but under the sheet)so effectively you lie on it, when Im icing my knee I place a pillow on that side and ice the knee and then my bottom and my non operated leg stays warm... I only use it till my bed is warm ( I always turn it off to sleep) failing that maybe a old fashioned hot water bottle to cuddle, this will warm your upper body.
Keep your chin up better days coming ahead and I know you can beat this xx

Helizabug

senior
Country
I wore L.L Bean’s Perfect Fit Fleece-backed Steaight-leg pants, and they were right toasty.

A toasty hat has helped when I get very chilled . . . usually when my blood pressure drops.

Macknit

senior
Country
Yes, I was cold in September and October...our Costco has some great looking fuzzy lounge pants, that look perfect for your needs. However they also sell the electric throws also! Best of luck warming up!
I hope your friend didn't get too chatty and let you sleep some? Your recovery is dependent on that sleep too!

Happy week before Christmas! :carols:

OP
OP
sondrals

sondrals

senior
Country
I feel like I got too much sleep yesterday, but I was soooo tired! Had a mini meltdown last night as my hip is bothering me and I just couldn’t get comfortable. My bf helped get the body pillow under my hip and my leg and I was able to lay somewhat comfortably for a bit. He also brought me coconut cake to make me feel better :rotfl: bless his heart.

I think heel slides were invented by the devil. I try to do them but don’t get much movement. Also I have a sensation that my incision is being rubbed raw, which I remember from last time, but it’s rather unpleasant.

My friend is coming over today but I’m not sure I’m looking forward to it. I kind of want to recluse myself which probably isn’t a great thing.

Jockette

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Heel slides are not essential, if you don’t like them, don’t do them. Your knee gets plenty of movement every time you take a walk.

There’s also nothing wrong with temporarily being a recluse when we are recovering from major surgery. Certain people sure do wear us out!

Sara61

senior
Country
Portugal Portugal
You have such a sweet BF bless him:) funnily I hated the heel slides to be honest I only did a few at the beginning then gave up totally.
Hopefully your friend will keep you amused sometimes when we dread something it usually turns out great :console2:

OP
OP
sondrals

sondrals

senior
Country
@Jockette i am in an immobilizer brace for two weeks so do I still get the movement it needs? I guess I’ve been trying because of that.

OP
OP
sondrals

sondrals

senior
Country
@Sara61 my bf has been great but the cake thing was hilarious.

I’ve been bad about doing the exercises honestly which I feel guilty about but I also don’t want to exacerbate my swelling or pain. I try to do 3 sets a day of maybe 10 of each but I rarely make that.

sistersinhim

Country
I had both kneecaps removed in the 90s, the first one in '91, the 2nd one in '93. My patella tendons had to be cut and shortened or my knees would never be straight again. To ensure I healed correctly, I was in an immobilizer for 8 weeks for the first leg and 6 weeks for the second leg. Once removed, I slowly recovered my bends without any physical therapy for either knee. I just used my knees as normally as they allowed without causing extra pain or swelling. Within a month or so, I was bending enough to do what I needed to do.

The key to the recovery when removing an immobilizer is to not push it or expect it to be a quick thing. You will still have all those soft tissues you have to let heal. Pushing them past what they are comfortable doing will only set you back by causing extra pain and swelling. This means your knee will be inflamed. You don't want to do that. You want it to heal!

OP
OP
sondrals

sondrals

senior
Country
@sistersinhim thank you for the input. I think I only have to wear the immobilizer for two weeks. My surgeon makes everyone wear it to prevent falls and tearing your quad muscles. I only have to wear it when I’m up walking so I can bend when I’m laying down and such. I backed off my CPM machine today, and I don’t mind it as much now so I think I was just pushing too far.

My bf helped me get a spit bath today and wash my hair, felt really good but boy did that wear me out. Now I’m hanging out on the couch icing and elevating while under my fuzzy blanket.

Helizabug

senior
Country
I feel like I got too much sleep yesterday, but I was soooo tired! . . .
My friend is coming over today but I’m not sure I’m looking forward to it. I kind of want to recluse myself which probably isn’t a great thing.
Oh my, right now, “too much sleep” seems impossible.

I visited with my best friend on Saturday, and another friend visited us, and it was too much for me. I crashed. I think it’s hard to remember how much energy is being drained by our recovery. There’s a cool diagram about this, somewhere on BoneSmart, but I don’t know where. This kind of healing is exhausting.

Lovely

Country
I think it’s hard to remember how much energy is being drained by our recovery.
I was just telling my husband how much I would love to go into a store, anywhere other than PT, really. The trouble is, I lack the stamina to go anywhere else right now. I had a friend bring groceries to me on Friday and she stayed for a 2-hour visit. I was exhausted!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
WaterLily
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom