Revision TKR Sondrals’ Revision

I’m glad you’ll have a break from PT!

What kind of daylight do you have this time of year?

Right now sunrise is about 9 am and sunset at 4:30pm. So it’s light out only when I’m at work :tantrum:

Your sunset is only a little earlier than mine and your sunrise is way later. I’m in Delaware. When does it get to where it’s dark almost all day?

I would think it would be hard to go out after dark with a new healing knee! I was unsteady enough in the daytime. And add icy weather and I’m sure I would have used my cane a very long time! Does your cane have a spike on the end like your shoes, to grip the ice?

Our shortest day here in anchorage is December 21st, we have about 5 1/2 hours of daylight.

I have a flip down spike thingie for my cane, when I remember to use it! I’m also glad we spent the money to have our driveway redone this summer, prior it had some pretty big heaves and holes I can’t imagine trying to navigate them after surgery. Most parking lots and such are pretty well lit but the dark is sure a mood killer.

Even though we have anesthesia during the surgery that keeps us asleep and prevents our conscious mind from remembering the surgery, I personally believe that somewhere in our brain it is remembered and causes us certain fears for a while.
I think this is very likely true. I think it would help to explain the random depression many of us have trouble with. I've always wondered why that is a thing for any major surgery, not just joint replacements. It's a huge problem with cardiac bypass patients too.

I’m not giving up my cane especially living in an ice and snow climate. I may just have to be ok with using it until spring
I would absolutely still use your cane to help manage the ice and snow. I'm still using mine any time I go somewhere I think the terrain will be uneven, or if I'll have to stand a lot, or if I think people might crowd me. Keep your cane. And you have the next surgery coming up. There is no need to rush any part of your recovery with a second one coming up.

It's a huge problem with cardiac bypass patients too.

I actually vaguely remember this from when my dad had open heart surgery. He'd never had anxiety before and had some pretty bad bouts for months after surgery, all stemming from a dream he had while under sedation.

Keep your cane. And you have the next surgery coming up. There is no need to rush any part of your recovery with a second one coming up.

Yeah I told my bf last night it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if I just use a cane until spring. Part of me is resentful at having to use it because it means I have limitations. I'm also slightly annoyed that it's easier now that it's icy out to send him into the store for stuff than for me to get out, make my way to the store, change shoes, go in, shop, pay, change shoes again on the way out, and make my way back to the car. *sigh*

Sat inside all day watching it snow, we got maybe an inch of snow today. Did a few loads of laundry, fixed myself lunch, got a shower and vacuumed the house. Just have to go get my bf after he gets off work and stop by somewhere to get ice melt. It’s supposed to warm up into the 40s later In The week and rain.

I have my pre-op bloodwork next Wednesday and the following Monday an ultrasound, Wednesday see my surgeon for the decision on if I’m going forward or not. Everything feels like it’s moving very fast again.

We tried to go to the roller derby thing tonight despite the snow. My boyfriend packed my roller walker and even the snow shovel. I figured I could at least get a handicapped spot and go in for a bit. We got there and there was no handicapped parking and we couldn’t find a spot even anywhere close so I left my bf off and cane home. Now I’m sitting at home crying because I feel like I’m going to be disabled forever.

I take my hat off to you, just for even attempting to go outdoors in the snow and Ice, it must be so scary, bad enough one is trying
to get used to walking normally without having to worry about slipping or falling at this stage.
So take the winter slowly - your body needs time to heal and soon you will be able to do everything and more than you did before xx

:console2: I’m so sorry you had to come home by yourself, I would have cried, too.

I know it seems far in the future, but you will have 2 good knees to do the things you want.

@Sara61 I don't REALLY have a choice as I'm kinda required to leave the house for work 5 days a week. If I had MY way I'd hunker down for the winter only leaving when absolutely necessary. I have to figure out someway to suck it up and get over it and just figure out how to walk on ice and snow.

@Jockette I felt like maybe I was overreacting but I was just so disappointed I couldn't go.

It's been pretty bad out, hovering around freezing, we broke two records on Saturday, record high temp for the day of 45 degrees, and record snowfall of 8.4 inches. But since it keeps warming up it keeps forming more ice. I've used most of a 50lb bag of ice melt on our driveway. Work somewhat maintained the handicapped parking spots but there's large ice chunks I have to walk around, hopefully they'll clean those up later in the day. My biggest worry is two days a week (Monday and Tuesday) I go home and let our dog out so I lose my handicapped parking spot when I do so. Often times when I come back there's not one available so I have to park in the regular lot which is almost always not as well maintained.

You probably don’t want to hear this, but would you be more stable on the ice with a walker? I can’t imagine having to deal with ice and snow at your stage of recovery. At that point I was still struggling to walk on grass, and needed my cane. It took me many many months to feel stable walking on grass. Even now, at 2.5 years I’d be afraid to walk on an icy surface.

*sticks her fingers in her ears and hums* Can't hear you!!! :rotfl:

Probably yes, but with unplowed lots and ice chunks I worry the wheels would get caught up and I'd just be hefting my walker over stuff.

Most likely I will HAVE to after I have my other surgery (if I do, I'm feeling SO ambivalent about it now despite knowing I need it). I also probably won't be driving for a good while since it's my right leg so people can drop me off at the door which is somewhat easier.

Probably yes, but with unplowed lots and ice chunks I worry the wheels would get caught up and I'd just be hefting my walker over stuff.
I did wonder about this.

Have you always lived in Alaska?

Yeah, I was born and raised here. I was born in a very rural area of Alaska but now I live in the biggest city (Anchorage).

I keep thinking I should move but I'm not sure where, I've never really lived anywhere else. My boyfriend would like to go back to Arizona where he's from most recently. I'd like to not have to deal with the ice and snow but I'm not really sure what my job prospects would be anywhere else.

Going from the cold in Alaska to the heat in Arizona would be a huge adjustment for you. At least Arizona is mostly a dry heat.

@sistersinhim yeah and I really haven't been... anywhere. So, I don't know where I'd like to live because I really don't know anything about anywhere else. I've always stayed for my family but my dad passed, my mom and I aren't super close after my replacement, and my brother doesn't really talk to me much anymore.

In reality no ice or snow would make my life way easier because of my knees. I was hoping the replacement would "fix" that but now the other needs done and even with both done I'm not sure I'll ever really not have a fear of the ice and snow.

Currently sitting here picking out new studded shoes, they're quite expensive but mine are 3 years old and I figure I deserve a new pair. Plus they have new cute colors! I'll probably talk myself out of it but it may not be a terrible idea.

If your gait changes a lot after replacement it is recommended that you get new shoes, as the ones you’ve been wearing have the pre surgery wear pattern. Since these studded shoes are expensive, maybe wait until after your other knee is done. It will still be winter, right? Then you’ll have the perfect reason to buy new ones.

When does winter end in Alaska?

I did order a pair of regular shoes I’m saving for after my other surgery. Maybe I’ll order a new pair of the studded shoes as well and save them.

Winter in Alaska is normally mid October - May. Sometimes we get lucky and don’t have any more snow in April, sometimes it snows in the middle of May. Weather is pretty unpredictable here:rotfl:

This summer we set records by hitting 90 degrees, so who know what this winter will be like. They’re calling for freezing rain all day tomorrow

I did order a pair of regular shoes I’m saving for after my other surgery. Maybe I’ll order a new pair of the studded shoes as well and save them.
:thumb: That sounds like a good plan!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom