BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. Announcing BoneSmart's NEW Joint Surgeon Locator tool

We are pleased to now offer a tool to help you find just the right surgeon for your needs. If your surgeon is not listed, please let us know and we'll get them added.

Read more about this in this announcement:

Dismiss Notice

[TKR] Softtail back for round 2

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by Softtail, Apr 20, 2019.

1. Softtail

Softtail senior

United States United States
    Hey bonesmarties ,just got back from hospital with my second new knee. Right one this time.
    I have an original thread as related to my first left knee recovery, that tells of my progression,and how nervous I was back then dealing with Both recovery and restless leg syndrome. Fortunately restless legs did not come in to play very often so that was a godsend. If Interested in my story first time around you can certainly find it farther on in posts or ask one of the pro’s (moderators) to help you find it.
    Having just gotten home , and still greatly appreciating the Nerve block. I am able to move my leg pretty decently pain-free. I’m able to bend my knee beyond 100 oddly enough but my doctor doesn’t want me to press Farther than this first two weeks because of stitches I believe. So far I seem to be ahead of the game from my previous surgery ,and with nerve block I am able to move my leg pretty decently pain-free. I’m able to bend my knee behind 100 oddly enough but my doctor doesn’t want me to present that far first two weeks I believe because of stitches but so far I seem to be ahead of the game from my previous surgery.
    Of course once the nerve block wears off it might be a whole new story probably will and then I’ll be using the pain medicine as directed . So kind a happy to be back with other bands Marty‘s but of course none of us really want to be here with a new knee just helps to talk with all the other bone smarties and what they’re going through thanks.
    Softtail

• Like Like x 1
  2. Softtail

Softtail senior

Think Irepeated myself a bit in first post . Bless the drugs lol

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello @Softtail - and :welome: back.

Please will you tell us the full date of your right knee replacement, so we can add that to your signature for you? Thank you.:flwrysmile:

Here is the link to your first recovery thread:
    https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/dealing-with-rls-after-tkr.50160/

And here is your copy of the post-op reading:
    Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
    1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
    2. Control discomfort:
    rest
    elevate
    ice
    take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
    don't overwork.
    3. Do what you want to do BUT
    a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
    b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
    4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
    5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
    6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
    The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
    Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs

Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling

Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery

Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
    Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
    Myth busting: no pain, no gain
    Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
    Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

4. NavyGunns

NavyGunns FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

@Softtail,

Welcome back! Although you are a pro by now, reminding you of the basic reading material, posted above.

5. NavyGunns

Welcome back @Softtail! Had to delete my original welcome as I saw that Celle beat me to it. Lol. Guess you were missing us all, eh?

You know the drill, so I’m not going to bore you with much more than a “good to see you and hope the recovery goes well”.

6. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    PS: @Softtail - no need to post your latest surgery date, unless it was changed from April 19th. I found that date in your previous thread.

@NavyGunns - I undeleted your post, but just edited it, to remove the duplicated recovery reading.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Softtail

Softtail senior

Navy good to hear from you. First my left knee is doing fine, and am grateful to have the right one done too.
    How is your knee holding up? In case Celle reads this . Yes my right knee was replaced yesterday April 19th, so havethe full monte to go thru for recovery. Again still enjoying that wonderful nerve block, butcan gradually feel it letting go ,so that’s when the real recovery starts lol.

8. FCBayern

FCBayern member

The day my nerve block wore off definitely sucked.:groan:Welcome back and I hope your recovery goes well.:yes:

9. Rick951

Rick951 junior member

@Softtail I found the nerve block was a blessing and a curse. the blessing part was movement without pain! I felt like superman, knee surgery and I am felling no pain. Don't make the mistake I did. I moved way more than I should have. The surgical dressing pulled the skin to ether side of my knee. I ended up with blisters on each side of my knee that eventually broke and became raw skin. I am now 7 months out, that was the WORST part of my recovery!!! The top part of my incision, looks great, the part I abused from over movement still looks bruised.
    I will have to have my other knee done soon. One mistake I will not make again.
    Best of luck on you second!!!!!!

10. Jockette

Jockette FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Best wishes for a great recovery!

11. swmrgirl

swmrgirl senior

Hi Softtail, I’m just a a couple of days ahead of you. I loved the block too, just wish it lasted longer! I hope you’re recovery goes smoothly and with as much ease as possible.

12. NavyGunns

@Softtail, glad the first knee is still doing well and hope the second does also. Don’t be too tempted to compare the two though. Everyone on here who has had both insist they are like kids, related but still completely different.

My PKR turned 1yr old on the 16th of April. Doing great so far. Carried me to the top of a couple of Mayan pyramids just a month ago with no complaints. In fact, kept up with my 35 yr old son in law doing so. Have my 1 yr follow up with OS the first week of May. Unless something happens with this knee in the future, I’m not expecting to repeat this experience ever again. My right knee is the picture of perfect health (so says my OS). Have never had issues with it, so that’s a good sign. Right hip? That might be a different story down the road. We’ll see.

13. DLR

DLR graduate

Canada Canada
    @Softtail thought you might enjoy some motorcycle humour for your recovery. My husband says his first bike had similar phrases in its manual
    upload_2019-4-21_7-46-7.jpeg

14. Softtail

Softtail senior

members pic.jpg member pic 1.jpg WFC and Rick. Yep that nerve block is/was a blessing, mine actually lasting thru till Sunday evening. I could tell it was wearing Off but still I have very little pain as of this writing Monday morning. Definitely a different approach so far with this leg as I am able to sleep in my bed which I couldn’t do for at least 2+ weeks with the left leg. Rick I hear what you’re saying about over doing things and my surgeon actually cautioned me about that so I am not pushing my flexion right out of the box just doing my moderate exercises ie heel slides calf raises and leg lifts.
    Jockette, thanks for the good healing wishes.
    Swmrgirl, hope your recovery is going okay. I see you had a revision done. I take it there was a problem that developed from original surgery or maybe an accident. Sorry you had to go thru it again. So far I am off to a great start, much different than previous knee. Who would believe that results from surgery could be so different one leg to the other.
    Navy great to hear you’re doing so good one year out, and having a good knee to go with it is all the better. To many years as a hardcore jock pushed my joints to the limit ,and now it’s payback time. Lucky to have the tech. to be able to replace them. I am probably looking at following up the knee replacement with hips ,but I hope I can push that a bit further down the road.
    DLR too funny the
    Honda warning. I have my 2009 Harley up for sale . Partly because I lost interest in riding , and partly because I was afraid I could go down on it. Not down in the sense of crashing it, just having it fall over when stopped at light cause my leg gave out. The strength in my knee got so weak, this was a big concern. I have been riding since I was 16, and never been down, but all I could do was see myself stopped at a light, my leg give way and the bike fall over making me look like I was an idiot who couldn’t handle a bike.
    Just for comparison sake , gonna try and post a picture of left knee and right, to show just how different post surgery can be on different legs.
    More later

15. DLR

DLR graduate

Canada Canada
    @Softtail i understand the choice to stop biking. My husband’s had been biking since he was 16 as well his biking days ended due to a drunk driver who hit him while he was on his bike Apr 1, 2010. Fortunately he survived and has no memory of the accident but a rebuilt pelvis, hip replacement, femur rod and 2 wrist repairs means he is also at risk of losing the ability to hold up the bike at stopping... we traded to a Miata convertible
    Glad to hear this recovery is going well, I am jealous you’re sleeping in bed lol...I am on the recliner but at least getting sleep so far. Isn’t it amazing how different the recoveries can feel. Have a great day ice elevate stretch repeat

16. Softtail

Softtail senior

DLR. sorry to hear about your husbands accident, but equally relieved he survived. Miata too small for me so I have a solara convertible in its place. With good legs I could handle the bike once healed, but really have lost interest in riding it. Group We used to ride with is younger and they like to hit too manybars after too short a ride, and that’s not my wife’s or my cup of tee.
    First PT home visit was today and it’s same tech. I had for last knee. He is blown away by the difference between this leg and last one right out of the gate. I hope it continues improving , but he warned me not to be surprised if some swelling set in and pain increased. I told him I was prepared for it if it happens , just gonna keep fingers crossed it keeps on like it is so far.
    Hope you can get into the bed soon. I know I sleep a lot better there than couch or chair, so would guess its same for you.
    I have a good friend having his knee replaced today and he is a pretty bad diabetic, so fingers crossed his experience goes well.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Softtail

Softtail senior

Starting day 5 and all in all still going pretty good. I always fret getting back to a normal routine with my bowel movements ,after adding the additional oxy to manage pain, so was happy to produce a small offering yesterday.
    Taking stool softeners twice a day and took laxative Monday night, but hope to be able to stop this shortly down the road.
    Leg has swollen up a bit over last 2 days, which PT therapist told me it might. I am following the regiment I did first time around, with a significant amount of icing and elevation, especially after doing leg exercises. My favorite is my Ossur ice machine which I leave on frequently. I believe it reduces pain, and makes laying around more comfortable. Something I would recommend to anybody going thru a knee replacement. At night I wear my ice wraps on and off thru the night. The wraps using the refreezable packs work great and I am not afraid to go to sleep with them on since they are not touching skin directly. This being true, there is little if any danger of damaging skin as they just warm up slowly while you wear them. Something I wouldn’t trust using straight on ice packs. Nurse coming today ,PT tomorrow. Just wish as we all do the recovery process was not so darn long.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Softtail

Softtail senior

Putting this out there for any help. My knee overall seems to be progressing well except for one area and that is my quad muscle above knee. What is happening is I can barely do straight leg lifts without considerable pain in top of quad ,kneecap and inside upper part of my thigh. My flexion and extension are good for 8 days after surgery with 102 flex and nearly 0 straight. Feels like deep pain like bruise on top of quad, which is different than my left leg surgery where I could do the leg lifts much better. I know each surgery comes with its own set of aches and pains, just wondering if anyone relates to my condition at this time and if they went thru it and the results.
    Thanks always good to hear stories from other bonesmarties.

19. NavyGunns

@Softtail, could very well be bruising from the tourniquet. Plus, don’t forget how much abuse your knee gets during surgery. If you need a reminder, google a YouTube video.

20. Softtail

Softtail senior

Navy Figure it’s something along that line. Just looking to see if any other bonesmarties had a similar experience, and possibly how long before it recovers enough to do the recovery exercises.