TKR Soccercop's Recovery Thread

soccercop

Country
United States United States
My TNR on my left knee was done on 1-29. My in-home therapy has been going very well. I'm off the walker and was taught how to use the cane this morning. The cane is just in case - I was told you don't put weight on it but it's a just-in-case thing to have handy. And it does buy you space from others that might get too close. I have my post-op follow-up on Thursday.

Hello @soccercop - and :welome:

I have moved your post from where you placed it and started a new recovery thread just for you.
Here we'll be able to talk about your recovery, without interrupting the other thread.

I'm glad things are going well for you.

Here is the recovery reading that we give to everyone:
Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs

Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling

Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery

Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

It sounds as if you're doing well. I'm not sure I agree about not putting weight on the cane. If you need to, you need to. Most of the time I use mine without putting weight on it, but if I'm tired or the leg feels painful I'm inclined to put a little weight on the cane to ensure I'm walking correctly. Good luck with your appointment Thursday.

My post-op appointment with my surgeon this past Thursday went very well. He was pleased with my progress. He wants me to be aggressive in my physical therapy to be able to get my leg straighter. I am a soccer referee and have had torn miniscuses in both knees and arthroscopic surgery in each knee which resulted in arthritus in both knees. I refereed for 20 years after the surgeries with arthritus pain using capsaicin cream on my knees to mask one pain with another. It got so bad that I couldn't run anymore or even walk straight. My surgeon said I had a lot of scar tissue and he took about an extra half hour to remove it. Hopefully my recovery and my excercises will help eliminate scarring from this surgery. I'm going to work hard so I can return to refereeing soccer.

I had my TKR done on the same date. It’s fascinating to me that OSs differ in their views of recovery and PT. My OS stated no PT for the first couple of weeks rest, elevate and ice with short walks around the house. My first PT experience was just a demonstration of stretches and then measurements. My extension is good at 5+ but my flexation was only at 75. PT stressed 90 by 4 weeks but OS stated 6-8;weeks. I have ditched the walker and use a cane (just in case) only outside but mostly it’s snowy and icy here. I told PT that numbers are going to come from me and not by them pushing or pulling! Slow and steady. You being a soccer referee must have been a painful activity! I wish you well and hope you can get back out there doing what you love. :walking::running:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back