TKR So tired!

bellabee

Country
United States United States
Thank you for the add! I’m 5 weeks Post Op. I’m at 118 and -5. I stopped all opioids about 3 weeks ago. I’m only taking Meloxicam( Mobic) 2 x per day. I’m still not sleeping well. The intense night pain has subsided, sometimes but sleep still evades me. I’m so tired! Is the tiredness normal? I’m doing PT 3 times per day, doing regular household chores, I’m a real estate broker and have been showing homes here and there, but after that I’m so tired. I haven’t been walking any long distances yet. Should I push myself more?

Hi, welcome to the recovery side.
Is the tiredness normal?
100%. Your body is taking as much resource as it can to heal, you would be feeling tired even if doing nothing.
Should I push myself more?
No, less. PT is good in that it should help with mobility, but don't push yourself or try any training exercises as yet.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now; they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for TKRs

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs

Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling

Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery

Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

A real estate broker does a lot of walking and standing. Chances are you are doing plenty of exercise just in that. And you have great ROM for five weeks!

You can cut out the PT at this point. That might help with your tiredness.

The exhaustion, though, is completely normal. It will start to let up soon but might hang on for several weeks. Naps help! :sleeep:

Can you tell me the date of your surgery so I can add it to your signature?

I didn't sleep for the first 7 weeks after my first TKR. With the second TKR, I bought a TENS machine that I use when I get into bed. I've slept much better from the very beginning. I don't know for sure that the TENS machine is the reason, but it sure feels relaxing.

A real estate broker does a lot of walking and standing. Chances are you are doing plenty of exercise just in that. And you have great ROM for five weeks!

The exhaustion, though, is completely normal. It will start to let up soon but might hang on for several weeks. Naps help! :sleeep:

Thank you! I’m trying not to do too much work. I’m telling them 1 or 2 houses and then I’m exhausted!

Hello Josephine, the TKR was May 22, 2018

I didn't sleep for the first 7 weeks after my first TKR. With the second TKR, I bought a TENS machine that I use when I get into bed. I've slept much better from the very beginning. I don't know for sure that the TENS machine is the reason, but it sure feels relaxing.

That’s good news! I just got my TENS today and used it but I’ll try it at bedtime. I also got the stand alone wireless little one for traveling!

Hello Josephine, TKR May 22, 2018 thank you!

I had my TKR on May 22, 2018. The surgeon discovered what he termed a “ double knee cap” He described it as either being broken at some point or I was born with it. He had never encountered one during surgery before. It did not show up in the X-rays. He removed one and left the other part and resurfaced that one. He also had to remove calcified tendons. Anyone else?

Heavens! I was exhausted for months and didn't do nearly what you are doing. On the days I had p.t. (and it was gentle - not like Marine Corps boot camp), I didn't plan to do much of anything else except ice and elevate. You know, most of us don't go into this surgery in the best of shape because by the time we have it, we've had plenty of sleepless, painful nights, followed by painful days. Between that, the surgery, more uncomfortable nights, it's no wonder it takes a long time to start feeling completely normal.

moved 5.jpg
The one right above Laurenkate's post, @bellabee. We like to keep our members' recovery posts all in a single thread. That way it's easy for us to go back and read your history before responding to a question or concern. In addition, the thread becomes a journal of your recovery for those who come along later and want to read about you. So, please post in this thread from now on when you want to give an update or ask a question. If you have questions or concerns that need an immediate answer, please tag an admin, a mod, or other members or all three.

If you decide you'd like a different thread title at any point, you can just post what you want here and we'll get it changed for you. THANKS!

If you are having a problem locating your thread, here is a link with how to do it: How can I find my threads and posts?

Hello @bellabee - and :welome:

I've added your surgery date to your signature.

Tiredness after this major surgery is perfectly normal. Most of your energy is being directed towards healing your knee and there's very little left for anything else. This article explains:
Energy drain for TKRs

Actually, I do think that you are trying to too much so early in recovery. As well as doing your exercises, you're also showing a few houses.
We usually recommend taking about 12 weeks off work, and then doing a Phased return to work

You don't need to do your exercises three times a day - once is enough, combined with your activities of daily living, and there's no need to do any other exercises on the days you show a house.
It's not exercising that gets you your ROM (Range of Motion) - it's time. Time to recover, time for swelling and pain to settle, and time to heal. Your ROM is there right from the start, just waiting for all that to happen, so it can show itself.

Hello @bellabee - and :welome:

I've added your surgery date to your signature.

Tiredness after this major surgery is perfectly normal. Most of your energy is being directed towards healing your knee and there's very little left for anything else. This article explains:
Energy drain for TKRs

Actually, I do think that you are trying to too much so early in recovery. As well as doing your exercises, you're also showing a few houses.
We usually recommend taking about 12 weeks off work, and then doing a Phased return to work

You don't need to do your exercises three times a day - once is enough, combined with your activities of daily living, and there's no need to do any other exercises on the days you show a house.
It's not exercising that gets you your ROM (Range of Motion) - it's time. Time to recover, time for swelling and pain to settle, and time to heal. Your ROM is there right from the start, just waiting for all that to happen, so it can show itself.

Thank you! Today was a rough one, I went to PT, she pushed hard to get the knee flat. No further progress, stuck at 115 and -5 . 6 weeks post op

Wow I think you are doing really well for 5wks post op as doing home opens is alot of standing work.

Do not allow anyone to push on your leg, either to straighten it or bend it! It is not necessary and will just increase swelling and pain, which will in turn decrease your ROM.

It is your leg and you have the final say what they do to it.

IMHO, you're "so tired" because your body is still in the early healing stage and you're doing activities best left for a later healing stage. At 5 weeks, you need to be icing, elevating and resting a lot, and not working, even just "1 or 2 houses". Go back and read the activity progression for TKRs in your post surgery notes Roy left you-you are doing way too much this early on.

IMHO, you're "so tired" because your body is still in the early healing stage and you're doing activities best left for a later healing stage. At 5 weeks, you need to be icing, elevating and resting a lot, and not working, even just "1 or 2 houses". Go back and read the activity progression for TKRs in your post surgery notes Roy left you-you are doing way too much this early on.

I understand that I am but when you are self employed and the months start rolling by without income, you have to do what you have to do. I do not qualify for disability because I am self employed. Then there is the surgery bill rolling in with a high deductible.......I’m doing what I can and probably some of what I shouldn’t but I have to work!‍️

When I click on the links.. it won’t take me to the information? Any ideas?

Do not allow anyone to push on your leg, either to straighten it or bend it! It is not necessary and will just increase swelling and pain, which will in turn decrease your ROM.

It is your leg and you have the final say what they do to it.

I noticed that it’s taking me a few days to recover from the pushing and PT.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back