....so they sent me to "class"

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDonovan

Country
United States United States
Even though I already had a previous TKR, I HAD to attend "class" (granted, it was 2 years ago and with a different surgeon and a different hospital).

They went over all the standard stuff that I remember quite well from my first TKR. What struck me was the fact that each department (i.e, nursing, nutrition, anesthesia and PT), gave a different length of stay expectation.

First off, my surgeon said 3 days, which was better than my previous 5 day experience. The nurse in the class said "some of you will go home the next day, a few will stay 2", anesthesia said "1 day, possibly 2", nutrition had no idea....then PT came in....first words "uh, plan on being here 3 days, you don't leave here till WE say you can leave here".

For me, it's not a big deal, but there were some clearly and understandably confused people in the class.

I have an appointment a week before my surgery to "register." I don't know what that entails but it's probably an information visit or class. It will be interesting to see.

I have my class scheduled next Tuesday, be interesting to see if they seem as all over the place as yours was.

I never had class for either knee! Second time around they did hips on Tuesdays and knees on Thursdays. I phoned them to say I couldn't attend as I was working. The nurse I spoke to told me HAD to attend so I'd just have to tell my boss I was taking the day off and that was that! Only trouble is, it was private contracted work and once it's booked the very last thing you do with the client is suddenly tell them you going absent. This cut no ice with her and she got a bit bullish with me, saying if I didn't attend, I'd have no idea what was being done and what the post-op would be!!! I told her "honey, I could teach joint class, so don't give me that nonsense" and hung up!

I went to the class both times. I just wanted to meet some of the staff. During the first class they told me to stop answering all the questions because I knew too much because I'm a nurse. The second class was more interesting because besides meeting the staff I also found out what additional equipment I could get for my home if I wanted it. I was able to get a commode that I put over my toilet. I also found I would get another ice wrap like the one I got at the other hospital.

I go to class at hospital tomorrow, then stay for my pre op at hospital, I.e. Blood work, meet some of the nurses, and of course sign my knee away. Looking forward to it as I did not have any of this and had no idea what I was getting into before my original TKR.

Dorothy

Only 9 more days until revision. Getting more nervous by the day.

I went to the pre-op class, which was well-done and interesting. They had a PT, OT, and the surgical PA there. The PA was outgoing and funny while being informative. I appreciated seeing the implant, hearing about the aids available, and what I needed at home. It also helped to see the hospital and where to check in.

@turtle68 - I hope everything goes well for you in your revision surgery.

I have to be honest, it started to feel "real" after that. I liken it being pregnant a second time, you know what to expect, but the voice in your head says to you: "all of THIS has got to come out of THERE!" :dubious:

But I am getting a bit anxious....only 9 days :shocked:

Went to knee class today and I learned so much. They explained everything thoroughly, I met several nurses.
Then I did my registration, blood work, and the anesthesiologist. Very exciting news for me. I thought I would have to have GA because of lumbar fusion, but he said he most likely would be able to do epidural. Then I would only be on oral pain killers and not have the iv stuff that makes me groggy. Yea. So glad I went, feel much better and less anxious.

Dorothy

@Reanna27 you'll do fine. I'df you have questions you can start a thread on the preop side and feel free to ask any questions you might have. You can also read through the library topics and other preop threads to get some info about replacements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks