So much pain

flacie1

Country
United States United States
I’m about 3-1/2 weeks from my LTKR and the pain and my mobility is getting worse. I cannot bear any weight on my left leg at all. Using a cane is useless, I’ve been using some crutches here at work and they help a little. I have my pre op appt today with my primary care dr. I was going to ask him about something for my pain. I’m currently on Voltaren. I am just flabbergasted that I have gone from being able to walk 5ks in August to not being able to function doing the most simple tasks. Any suggestions for my appt today? Should I call my OS? Sometimes I wonder if I’m being a big baby by letting the pain get to me. But there is no way this is all in my head.

Nicole

You'll notice that I have moved you back to the Pre Op forum, I am getting ahead of myself with the dates.

Last edited:
I’m currently on Voltaren
Do you mean topical Voltaren is all you are taking for pain?
Your OS should be able to give you something stronger until your surgery.
Are you Icing and Elevating your knee?

Since you are seeing your primary physician today, you can ask if you need to see the OS.

Sometime the transition to walking OK to not being able to weight bear can be fast. My experience was waking up on a Saturday morning and not being able to walk, after being OK at work the day before.

I’m on oral voltaren. And I supplement with Tylenol if needed. I am icing and elevating, and on occasion I use the heating pad too.

Wow seems like I’m on the same path as you. I’ve been tying to rest my knee as much as possible but nothing seems to be helping.

You'll notice that I have moved you back to the Pre Op forum, I am getting ahead of myself with the dates.

Lol I wish I was post op at this point!!

the pain and my mobility is getting worse
You will still have pain post-op as it's major surgery BUT it will only get better, unlike the pain you have now that will only get worse. It'll all be done soon :)

Last edited:
My question is, is there anything I should be doing pre op to make getting around easier? At this point I don’t want to move for fear of the shooting pain I get

is there anything I should be doing pre op to make getting around easier?
Unfortunately pre-op is the worst part of this journey. No one has invented a medication that addresses bone on bone pain. The best advice we can give you is to limit your activity. Use crutches - they will give you more stability than a cane. Stay off that knee if you can. Sorry there isn't a better solution for you.

Ugh, I know. It’s just so frustrating that 2 months ago I was still walking in 5k’s and now I’m struggling to walk to the bathroom. I’ll call my OS tomorrow.

Ugh, yes. I had originally planned to get my knee done in May this year, but chickened out, thinking I could continue to limp along on steroid shots. Fast forward to July, when shots completely stop working and I’m committed to teaching a class until the end of November. i’ll get my knee done the first week of December.

I spent Father’s day weekend at a bluegrass festival, with the attendant tons of walking and standing. Two weeks later, I couldn’t walk 100m without a cane. The decline was shockingly fast.

oops! Was going to say that icing helped me before surgery, but now I see that you are already doing that. Sorry that you are having such pain right now.

It’s just so frustrating that 2 months ago I was still walking in 5k’s and now I’m struggling to walk to the bathroom.
Yes the decline can be amazingly fast. But the good news is that you are definitely doing the right thing moving forward with your op.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom