BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[THR] So many questions

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by ChrissyW, May 13, 2019.

1. ChrissyW

ChrissyW member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Do you know what @phillau43 you are so right. We are getting to the point of looking relatively normal from the outside ( I can even put on a full face of makeup though I really can't be bothered! ) I too feel lack lustre and in need of a nap by the afternoon but what can we expect when we don't sleep normally. In fact I'm impressed, on reflection, that I'm not in possession of suitcases under my eyes that reflect the extent of not having the obligatory 8hrs sleep a night. In respect of work it must feel different when it's your own business, obligation and responsibility from all angles. As the best judge of your own body and having got this far you can only do what is possible so just go with your gut, listen to it and take each day as it comes. Just make sure you are kind to yourself. Fingers crossed for us both with the OS next week, I'm presuming you've been behaving in the recovery period on the whole and that might help clear your thoughts. :thumb:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  2. ChrissyW

ChrissyW member

Good morning. Ive looked through the site and do realise that week 6 seems to be a point of heightened pain from what many are saying so I just wanted to add that my darn thigh aches more today! It has been steadily upping it's achiness and pain over the last couple of days but through the night and this morning I've found I'm having to assist moving it. I think it could be radiating from that Psoas muscle area based on sneaky leeks at other peoples posts! :shrug:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. HipsterKat

HipsterKat junior member

United States United States
    @ChrissyW, thanks for the update. It does seem like a lot of people experience heightened pain at around 6 weeks. I wonder why...? Hope you are feeling better soon!!

4. ChrissyW

ChrissyW member

Well ladies. Just got back from my 6 week check up and the OS is happy with everything. Really interesting to look at the X-rays before and after and have him talk through it all. Only restrictions that remain are no bending to floor or twisting for at least another few months but otherwise I can do almost anything within reason, including a holiday as long as it would have nothing more than a short flight if over the summer. He just said remember to be sensible, listen to your body and remember that there will still be peaks and troughs because at the end of the day I'm only 6 weeks in. We spoke about the thigh pain and when I explained it, he did the move I really struggle with (bending knee and lifting my leg) and explained it was all elements of the muscle that are mending. He said all the things I've read on here about the hip feeling far better before the rest of the leg because of what that poor thing has gone through. Really positive visit overall. He's suggested that before I try drive myself anywhere I go somewhere quiet with hubby and practice an emergency stop and see how comfy I am driving too. Legally I can't drive if I can't do an emergency stop. He also said if work were prepared to look at a phased return that would be good but as a teacher he stressed no bending/ crouching down to speak to students or pick things up and to look at this from next week, just to see if I could manage a few hrs a day in total. We were happy so went for a cheeky Costa on the way home and hubby told ne he could breathe a sigh of relief as he'd actually gone ahead and booked the cruise holiday for the end of July.:happydance:
    You were the first people @Mayhip8 and @ahipgma that I wanted to update. Have a good day my lovelies :yes!::loveshwr:

5. Pumpkln

Pumpkln FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    @ChrissyW

You'll notice that I have copied your newest post with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread: A copy also remains in Mayhip8's thread.
    • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
    • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
    • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
    So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
    If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
    How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.