BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[THR] So many questions

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by ChrissyW, May 13, 2019.

1. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    :hi:Burning, stinging, zips and zaps, pulling, groin aching and tight...all very familiar to me for recovery memories.:sigh:
    Also good reminders to stay slow and steady. :yes:
    One month out is prime time for what seems like a "recovery stall"...right when we are ready to be done with all of it.
    Also prime time for cabin fever and the dreaded post op blues.
    Do review your recovery guidelines regarding activity progression and these other issues.
    I know my brain fog caused me not to grasp much of this so soon after surgery.
    You aren't behind the curve...this THR is a big deal.
    Hope today is a Good Day and don't forget to assume the position.:ice:

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  2. ChrissyW

ChrissyW member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @Mojo333 thank you, to hear the similarities exist is reassuring. I'm being a good girl and my ice packs are always ready to slap (not literally ) in to place. I'll re read the original info provided but I'm beginning to think I have more brain fog now. I've gone from dealing with teenager issues daily (I'm a high school teacher) to real housewives and their problems and my brain seems to be hibernating at the minute, especially as it is so sleep deprived!:bored::chinstroke:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Carriemay60

Carriemay60 post-grad

Canada Canada
    I found this site about 2 weeks after my 1st emergency hip surgery and I remember feeling quite overwhelmed, confused and downright shocked by how hard recovery was. I was reassured then and it helped a lot but that time has probably helped me more in this recovery. I was much more aware and prepared going in this time and despite having some hiccups and twists & turns I feel I am taking it in my stride a lot better. Last time, I also had a broken leg and really saw no end in sight (which sadly proved true until this surgery) but this forum has given me a lot of confidence in a much more delightful, active future. I might take a little longer because of 5 years of atrophy and muscle work done during this surgery but I will get there and you will too! :happydance:

• Like Like x 4
  4. ChrissyW

ChrissyW member

@Carriemay60 we most definetly will. Small steps towards a much improved,pai free future. It's like losing weight, do it quickly and you soon put them pounds back on, do it slow and steady and change will last. :loveshwr:

• Like Like x 2
  5. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Happy Birthday, Chrissy!
    I hope you're having a great birthday so far and doing something you enjoy. I read elsewhere that it was your birthday so thought I'd drop by your thread.

I keep up on you, mayhip and ahipgma, somewhat and you all seem to be doing well. I keep telling myself that I want to get completely through each one of your threads but it hasn't happened yet. You all seem to be thriving and pretty self sufficient here. I've enjoyed many of each of your posts.

Please tag us if you ever need us or have a particular question or issue. We're here for you.
    Hugs and best wishes on your special day! :loveshwr::friends:
    @ChrissyW

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Carriemay60

Carriemay60 post-grad

Canada Canada
    Happy Birthday :flwrysmile:

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  7. Elf1

Elf1 senior

Happy Birthday!:cheers:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  8. Yogigirl

Yogigirl junior member

Happy birthday x

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. ChrissyW

ChrissyW member

Thank you all so much for the birthday wishes @Layla @Carriemay60 @Elf1 and @Yogigirl . It was nice to get a little dressed up and be taken for a meal. Takes your mind of things and reminds us of normality xx

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Hoppy Nanny

Hoppy Nanny Sr Bonesmartie

Glad you had a good birthday... it’s lovely to feel somewhat that normal life starts! Good for you x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  11. lotusbuds

lotusbuds member

Happy Birthday! Good luck on your recovery. My motto has become slow but steady with setbacks but it gets better and better.

• Like Like x 1
  12. linette333

linette333 junior member

Glad to hear you have enjoyed your birthday. It's good to know that there is life after hip replacement! :flwrysmile:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. Yogigirl

Yogigirl junior member

Great you had a nice birthday and ventured out in the real world

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. HipsterKat

HipsterKat junior member

Yay -- sounds awesome!! Happy birthday!

• Like Like x 2
  15. phillau43

phillau43 junior member

Happy birthday. Hope things are going well for you.

• Like Like x 2
  16. ChrissyW

ChrissyW member

@phillau43 , @Hoppy Nanny, @HipsterKat , @linette333 and @lotusbuds thank you too for the birthday wishes.
    This community has been so important to me during these early weeks and I don't know what I would have done without it. I have made new friends, some who I know will be not only part of my short term recovery but long term friends.
    Just to update all on where I am at 5 weeks and 3 days. Still struggling with the sleeping but since Saturday I e been taking herbal nytol which has given some improvement and is making the periods of sleep at time that bit longer. The cramping, spasm like tightening that comes is probably happening daily and more frequently but I'm putting it down to everything trying to recover the trauma of the surgical procedure (I've now been brave enough to watch a video online). My thigh, down the front is sore and uncomfortable at night and if I'm being honest it does hurt while lying down and moving it upwards but again from reading many threads it seems lots of us get this thigh pain so as I will be seeing my OS next week for my 6 week check up will raise all theses with him rather than causing myself to worry.
    Again thank you all for checking in with my original thread. Hope you are all well and those in si,liar stages as me in recovery how are you all doing(just in case I've missed stopping by your threads):thumb:

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. phillau43

phillau43 junior member

Good to read your update. Whilst I’m not getting the cramps/spasms you describe I’d echo everything else as I’m at 5 weeks and 1 day. The front and side of my operated leg thigh is numb and tingles and the front thigh muscle every day feels like I’ve been working out the day before! Sleeping is slowly improving, particularly as I started sleeping on my non operated side with pillows between my legs, although it does start to ache after a while and I have to role back. I might get 5-6 hours on a good night. I’m still hoping to go back to work in a phased way next week, but I am a little concerned that my energy levels will cope.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  18. HipsterKat

HipsterKat junior member

@ChrissyW thanks for update. My spasms have returned in op hip/thigh, though not as strong as first round. Whenever it happens I just think “You go, little hip! Keep on healing!!” :)

• Like Like x 2
  19. ChrissyW

ChrissyW member

@phillau43 dont go rushing back if you can avoid it, especially if it is causing concern now? Have you considered a possible phased return? One of the administrators sent me info on this and I've already mentioned it to our HR. My fit note has finally been sent to work and covers me until a week on Friday so I'll have seen my OS and the PT next week and will have an overview of their thoughts too. I'll definetly need to think about phasing the return because I know how tired we get at the minute. Like @HipsterKat says, our bodies are recovering, they've been through a heck if a lot and we've not had normality for weeks so we need to remember we are not going to be able to jump straight back in. I wouldn't be able to and I'd argue my case because no one else knows how each one of us feels. :gaah:
    @HipsterKat sorry to hear you too are getting ghd spasmy things, they are horrible but I too, regardless of how they make me cringe and want to scream, I remind myself it's just everything mending itself.
    Nice to catch up with you both and hope your recoveries continue to be positive stories with your positive energy:yes!:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  20. phillau43

phillau43 junior member

Thanks for the advice @ChrissyW and I know you are right. My work situation is slightly different in that I have my own 3 office estate agency business and whilst my fab team have been ‘keeping the ship afloat’ in my absence, I am feeling quite guilty that I have not been there for such a long time. That being said, barely a day has gone by when I haven’t spoken to one or several of the team, and I’ve been doing lots of emails/phone calls and admin stuff from home, but my day to day role can only be properly fulfilled by me being there. Houses don’t come to me....! Still the thought of returning to the daily rush, valuing 6 or 7 houses a day, up and down multiple flights of stairs and jumping in and out of my car all day, is somewhat daunting. At first sight I look and sound my usual self, but I’m sure you recognise it is about how you feel inside that is key. I’m walking a fair bit without a crutch or cane but my hip still feels rather weak. I have a slight limp because I think I’m protecting it somewhat, and I seem to get tired very quickly, particularly in the afternoons. I too am seeing my OS next week (I’ve not had any PT). However, perhaps a return to some normality might be just the tonic? I hope your HR dept are sympathetic and allow you the time and space you need.

• Friendly Friendly x 1