TKR So I did it. Jiffy knee!

Whilst of course I'm delighted that your recovery is going so well for you, from a surgery point of view, what is different with a Jiffy procedure which might explain the remarkable recovery.?
Do they do something significantly different?

It is fairly different. It's called the Jiffy knee.

Attachments

• F34D330E-35C1-4655-8D7C-F164F6D61426.jpeg
    F34D330E-35C1-4655-8D7C-F164F6D61426.jpeg
    103.2 KB · Views: 440
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the information, but on the front page he claims "I don't cut through any muscles and tendons". As far as I'm aware, none of the other types of TKR cut through these either. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong☺

It is my understanding that cutting through tendons and muscles is something that hasn't been done for years. Those muscles and tendons are moved out of the way. The only cutting I had on either was a medial release to allow better tracking of my knee.

Apparently they are very careful not to cut any muscle or tendons.

I did not have a jiffy knee, but I did ask my surgeon if he used "quad sparing" techniques. He said yes, but I'm not sure about the tendon.

Ok, I see you already had the above info. :) I'm interested because I know someone that needs a knee replacement, actually 2. I've been happy with mine, but if there is a better way I wanted to know about it. @Gottamove seems pretty happy with it. I'm trying to figure out if the main thing is they put in a better nerve block and have people go up and down steps and do other things post-op that maybe most of us could do, but are afraid to?

Apparently they are very careful not to cut any muscle or tendons.

I did not have a jiffy knee, but I did ask my surgeon if he used "quad sparing" techniques. He said yes, but I'm not sure about the tendon.

Ok, I see you already had the above info. :) I'm interested because I know someone that needs a knee replacement, actually 2. I've been happy with mine, but if there is a better way I wanted to know about it. @Gottamove seems pretty happy with it. I'm trying to figure out if the main thing is they put in a better nerve block and have people go up and down steps and do other things post-op that maybe most of us could do, but are afraid to?
The nerve block wore off on day 2. That was a rough day. Day 4 I had a follow up with surgeon. That made day 5 a rough day ...2 hour car ride to his office. 2 hour in office wait. 2 hour car ride home...a lot of time with knee down. Other than that I can honestly tell you that the pain is minimal, the swelling is as expected, the flex is awesome and I have not found anything that I am not afraid to try. I rode the recumbent bike and the stationary bike. I did pickleball drills. I go up and down stairs multiple times i day. I keep my grandchildren. I wish I slept better. Other than that, I have 0 complaints

Just to point out that most surgeons nowadays use the "quad sparing technique".

While, in the past, surgeons used to cut the quads, very few now cut any muscles or tendons. They all pull these tissue aside instead.

For a surgeon to now say that he/she using a quad-sparing technique is just advertising.

Jiffy knee or not, it's always great to read of excellent recoveries
Thank you. I am at the point where I’m afraid to post any updates. I posted when I had my other knee done and found it valuable to go back and see what my recovery was like. I was hoping to use this the same journal type way. I think I won’t post further updates. Good luck all

Why would you quit posting? It's interesting hearing about your different implant. You are having a great outcome and people want to hear these good things.

@Gottamove .... I do hope you reconsider about not posting more about your recovery. There are so few people that get the Jiffy Knee, we really would like to know how you do with recovery in the coming weeks and months.

Jiffy knee sounds very interesting. I had RTK on 9-2018 and everyone thought I was crazy playing pickleball only after two weeks. I never had any pain after the surgery and I never did any PT. I did not move as well or drive as early as you could in one week, but everyone thought I was doing well. Love to learn more about your jiffy knee.

Copied from my Facebook page.
Jiffy Knee progress post:

Today is day 18 post surgery. Several people have asked for an update. Here is my honest good/bad/ugly info: I have had 2 days of pain. I did not account for the nerve block wearing off on day 2. Pain surprised me. It was quickly handled with prescribed medication and then switched to Tylenol. Swelling came and stayed from day 2 to off/on even now. Day 4 and 5 were tough. On day 4 I had my follow up appointment in Franklin. We got stuck in traffic and it took 2 hours to get there. The wait in the office was over 2 hours. Then the drive home was long. By the time I got home I could have chewed my own leg off and been fine with the result. Tylenol and ice solved the problem but on day 5 my entire body was sore from the experience. Both of those days were my own fault.

I had my first PT consult on day 3. Uneventful. On day 6 was my first PT session. I thought the woman had lost her mind when she told me my warm up was 8 minutes on the bike. It was perfectly fine. Then squats and sideways shuffling up and down the hallway and stepping up/down on steps...all that kinda of stuff. I liked that part of PT. I am not such a fan of her bending and straightening and measuring. It is all part of the process though. PT did tell me to try alleve rather than tylenol. I was glad she did. It took much of the swelling out.

Since the PT had me doing squats and shuffling etc I knew exactly where/how I could practice those skills! So, on day 7 I did some pickleball drills and "played" one celebratory game. (If the ball did not come directly to me, I didn't hit it!) I expected pain and swelling on day 8. It did not come.

I have been doing PT - mostly faithfully- since then. I say mostly because they want me to go 3 days a week. Right now, 2 will have to be good enough. I am busy!

The long 4th of July weekend gave me some time to try pickleball again. I went on Friday (2 weeks exactly) and intended to play 2 celebratory games. I stayed and played for 2 celebratory hours. I still have mobility issues - no need to lie about that - but it is improving. I returned on Saturday and Sunday and Monday and again played for 2+ hours each day. Does my knee hurt after that? Honest answer....no. Not even a little bit. Other things do though. Since I still do not have the ability to fully straighten my leg the muscles feel tight/cramped all the time and I just cannot stretch it out. I ice faithfully. I foam roll. I use a hand held massager. Nothing seems to help.

I will add this about trying to play pickleball...many times I am at/near my own frustration level when trying to play. My brain knows where I need to be on the court. I can see exactly where the ball is going. I simply cannot get there...yet! Although I have no problem lifting my leg or sliding it sideways, after a bit it tends to feel heavy. It is harder/slower to lit it. Harder to get where I need to be. Am I patient about that? Hell no! I ought to be. Mercifully I have been blessed with partners who know and tolerate my weakness. I appreciate that and will not forget their kindness.

Day to day functioning is 100% back to normal. I really can't think of anything that I would be afraid to try to do.

Is there anything you want to know that I did not cover? If so ask. I am not the least bit hesitant to tell any of it. For me, at this point, the knee is more a point of frustration than pain. There is a lesson in that too!

Last thing before I forget...ice is dang near as good as oxycodone as a pain killer! I will post pictures in comments in hopes of not offending the squeamish.

Attachments

• 318E65ED-95CC-4C20-A2A5-579C5EA87FC2.jpeg
    318E65ED-95CC-4C20-A2A5-579C5EA87FC2.jpeg
    123.9 KB · Views: 516
Wow! What a great outcome! It sounds like you're living close to me. Who did your surgery? Dr. Jason Hull with Tuckahoe Ortho. did mine. I've been very happy with my results, though they certainly were no anywhere as fast as yours. Of course, I had 6 surgeries on it before my TKR, so there was lots of damage to repair.

You are having an amazing recovery, one for the Amazing Recovery books! At two weeks a normal recovery has us sitting most of the day with ice and an elevating device. It sounds like everything is working out great for you.

Wow! What a great outcome! It sounds like you're living close to me. Who did your surgery? Dr. Jason Hull with Tuckahoe Ortho. did mine. I've been very happy with my results, though they certainly were no anywhere as fast as yours. Of course, I had 6 surgeries on it before my TKR, so there was lots of damage to repair.

You are having an amazing recovery, one for the Amazing Recovery books! At two weeks a normal recovery has us sitting most of the day with ice and an elevating device. It sounds like everything is working out great for you.
Dr Patel, inventor of the Jiffy Knee method, did it at Obici

Oh, that's right down the road. It's amazing how close this huge world can be on the internet!

The Aleve can help counter swelling since it is an anti-inflammant. If you still have pain, you can take Tylenol along with it. Some surgeons routine prescribe a combination like this.

I'm glad you're doing well. Just be careful trying to play pickleball that you don't accidentally "forget" your knee and make a sudden move for the ball. Your idea to just hit the balls that come your way is probably the best plan for now.

Doing some exercise bike cycling and walking will help you with extension.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back